PDA

View Full Version : Enforcer Class

Darkantra
2007-07-30, 02:10 PM
This is a class that I brainstormed for a game that my friends and I will be playing come the fall. Our characters are going to be starting a thieves guild so we started splitting roles between our characters. Every guild needs a wizard, guildmaster, of course thieves but what about the muscle? Every guild needs a guy who gets things done, eliminates those "problems" that might crop up be they thieves that have gone rogue or a watchman that just won't lay off.

So I did my best and will be playing an Enforcer come the fall, but I'd like some critique on it before then

The Enforcer

Thug, brute, the Enforcer has many names but if universally recognized as the answer to many ‘problems’. Their tracking and combat skills make them ideal candidates to track down or keep in line sticky-fingered thieves.
Though the majority are thick-headed brutes who talk only with their fists some are intelligent or charismatic enough to be just as dangerous, if not more so, than their muscle-bound compatriots.
Enforcers are most often employed as a thieves guild own police service, though many serve noble houses and the city watch. Enforcers choose to adventure for personal gain, to polish their skills or as hired muscle.
Enforcers by their nature are defined by upholding the laws of their masters. An Enforcer that breaks those laws is next to useless to their employer and is quickly fired or eliminated.

Alignment: Non-chaotic. An Enforcer that becomes chaotic can still progress in this class but will suffer when their employers realize their disdain for law.

Hit Die:
d8

Class Skills:
Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Use Rope (Dex)

Skill Points at 1st Level
(6 + Int modifier) x 4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Int Modifier

Table: The Enforcer

{table]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Improved Unarmed Strike, Urban Tracking
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Improved Grapple, Unarmed damage 1d6
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Sneak Attack 1d6
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Bonus Feat, Shake ‘em Up
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Frisk, Uncanny Dodge
6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Knows the Back of His Hand
7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Sneak Attack 2d6
8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Bonus Feat
9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Improved Uncanny Dodge
10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Improved Shake ‘em Up, Unarmed Damage 1d8
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|Sneak Attack 3d6
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+4|Bonus Feat
13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+4|Bruising Blow
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4|Improved Knows the Back of His Hand
15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+5|Sneak Attack 4d6
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+5|Bonus Feat
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Unarmed damage 1d10
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Thieves Bane
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|Sneak Attack 5d6
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Bonus Feat[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Enforcers are proficient with all simple weapons, all martial weapons (except bows) and the hand crossbow. Enforcers are proficient with light armor, bucklers and light shields.

Improved Unarmed Strike:
At 1st level, Enforcers gain Improved Unarmed Strike as per the feat. Their unarmed damage increases to 1d6 at 2nd level, 1d8 at 10th level and 1d10 at 17th level.

Urban Tracking:
At 1st level, Enforcers gain Urban Tracking as per the feat.

Improved Grapple:
At 2nd level, Enforcers gain Improved Grapple as per the feat.

Sneak Attack:
Starting at level 3 the Enforcer can strike from the shadows as ably as any rogue. The Enforcer gains 1d6 sneak attack damage that increases by 1d6 at levels 7, 11, 15 and 19.

Bonus Feats:
At levels 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20 Enforcers can take any of the following feats; Alertness, Clever Wrestling, Dirty Fighting, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike) or (grapple), Investigator, Persuasive, Run, Skill focus (intimidate or gather information), Stealthy, Toughness, Weapon Focus.

Shake ‘em Up (Ex):
At 4th level, the Enforcer gains +4 to all intimidate checks and can Demoralize Opponents within 30 ft. as a move action. The target remains shaken for a number of rounds equaling 1 + the Enforcers Cha modifier. At 10th level this ability improves and the Enforcer can Demoralize Opponents once per round as a free action and can affect as many creatures as his Cha modifier (minimum 1) within a 30 ft radius.

Frisk (Ex):
At 5th level, the Enforcer can make a Search check on a creature that they have pinned in a grapple as a move action.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
At 5th level, the Enforcer has learned to react to unseen threats with split second movements. He gains Uncanny Dodge as per the description in the Rogue’s class features. At 9th level the Enforcer gain Improved Uncanny Dodge as per the description in the Rogue’s class features.

Knows the Back of His Hand (Ex):
At 6th level, the Enforcer has become one with his fists, usually by tattooing words across them. The Enforcer gains Weapon Specialization (unarmed strike) as per the feat. At 18th level the Enforcer gains Greater Weapon Specialization (unarmed strike).

Bruising Blow (Ex):
At 13th, level the Enforcers unarmed attacks gain the full weight of their strength behind their fists. The Enforcers unarmed strikes are now considered to be two-handed weapons for the purposes of Str adjustment and Power Attack.

Thieves Bane (Ex):
At 18th level, An Enforcer’s senses and instincts have sharpened to almost supernatural levels and almost no one can hide from them. The Enforcer gains a +2 bonus to Listen, Search, Sense Motive and Spot checks.

Race:
Any race can be an enforcer.

Multiclassing:
A fighter’s extra feats work well although the Enforcer already has a few of their own. Barbarian is a good choice as the extra movement, high hit die and Rage ability work nicely with the Enforcer’s own abilities although their temperaments are slightly different.
A Monk’s unarmed damage bonus stacks with an enforcers and their similar use of the grapple action makes for a good combination but again, the temperaments between the two classes is starkly different.
A Rogue taking levels in Enforcer to buff up on their combat ability and hit die is an excellent idea since they don’t lose too many skills and can gain sneak attack bonus’. Rangers more used to the city could take a few levels of Enforcer. Bards, Paladins, Wizards and Sorcerers almost never become Enforcers.

Prestige Classes:
The Reaping Mauler prestige class (Complete Warrior) is a good choice for Enforcers as they gain extra bonuses and options when grappling. The Shadowdancer is also an applicable choice although the Enforcer would have to spend a lot of skill points to get the requisite 5 ranks in Perform (dance). The Master Inquisitor class in the Eberron setting is also a good choice for Enforcers who specialize in investigation.

Other classes:
Enforcers get along extremely well with fighters and barbarians, often getting into good-natured brawls with them at taverns (the loser buys the drinks). Rogues enjoy the fighting skills that they bring along with their ability to be stealthy. Enforcers often team up with rangers to track especially canny individuals and get along quite well with them. Good Enforcers can work in concert with Paladins for the greater good but there is constant friction between them, as Paladins normally disdain their tactics. Other classes tend see them as simple, muscle-bound, idiots.

olelia
2007-07-30, 02:22 PM
At 4th level, the Enforcer gains +4 to all intimidate checks and can Demoralize Opponents within 30 ft. as a move action or a standard action. The target remains shaken for a number of rounds equaling 1 + the Enforcers Cha modifier. At 10th level this ability improves and the Enforcer can Demoralize Opponents as a free action and can affect as many creatures as his Cha modifier (minimum 1) within a 30 ft radius.

Maybe its just me but whats the point of it being a move OR a standard. I'm not sure why you would take the standard instead of the move action.

Darkantra
2007-07-30, 02:38 PM
If for instance the Enforcer wants to bypass an opponent, they can Demoralize them then run by, lowering their chances of getting hit by an attack of opportunity.

Edivad
2007-07-30, 02:38 PM
Excellent! And with some - really minor - changes, this could be used for a non-oriental Martial Artist character, like a Pugilist.
Myself, I'll play an Enforcer over a Monk!

I'm not sure about is the warning against being Chaotic...As long as the character follows the Guild's guidelines, which aren't going to be as strict as normal laws, his chaotic alignment isnt' really going to be a problem. But I do understand why you put it there, yes. Some might feel say they should not be able to be Good, but I don't agree with that - you did say they can work for nobles or the city watch.

Here's some other comments and suggestion..

Class balance: Seems fine, but are you sure about the two good saves. Perhaps only Fort should be good? Other than that, the class scales nicely.

Level progression: They get something interesting at every level. I like this! There's no dead levels, unlike some classes.

Unarmed Damage Progression: I'm not too sure about this. Maybe you could reduce how fast the damage dice increase, and cap it at something lower than 2d6 at level 20...HOWEVER, to make it clear that thugs often sacrifice finesse and accuracy for power, you could allow them, at a relatively high level, to treat their unarmed attacks as two handed attacks for purposes of calculating their damage bonuses from Strength and power attack.

Bonus Feats: I suggest making the list a bit bigger, and maybe adding some choices that are a bit less combat-related
Some suggestions:
Improved Initiative: it's appropriate for a thug or someone who wants to surprise people to beat them up)
Skill Focus(Intimidate): Obvious.
Investigator: +2 to Search and Gather Information. Useful for Enforces who have to ask things around and search people and places...
Persuasive: +2 Intimidate and Bluff. Fits.
Run: To chase people who try to flee. In Urban Settings, you just can't use horses to do that, so running is useful.

olelia
2007-07-30, 02:49 PM
If for instance the Enforcer wants to bypass an opponent, they can Demoralize them then run by, lowering their chances of getting hit by an attack of opportunity.

Yes...but you get two move actions in one round. Sooo...

Darkantra
2007-07-30, 02:52 PM
Oops, heh. I'm still a relative novice to d&d so I didn't catch the double move action thing, thanks olelia!

olelia
2007-07-30, 02:55 PM
Np :smallcool:

Darkantra
2007-07-30, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Edivad!
I think that I will pull the Ref saves down to normal progression. Enforcers will most likely have mid to high dexterity anyways so that will make up for the slower progression.
Okay, I've expanded the bonus feat list, as it was before it really was just combat oriented but it makes a lot more sense to leave the character more options for advancement.
As for the unarmed attack progression... I think that I might cap it at 1d10 instead. With treating them as two-handed attacks I covered that with the Bruising Blow ability but the wording is off so I'll change that.

Darkantra
2007-07-30, 03:10 PM
Also, to help people get a sense of the characterization of this class, here's a character I threw together a little while ago.

Relentless

Warforged Enforcer 6
LN Medium Living Construct
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (43hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+3 Dex, +5 Mithral Body), touch 13, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+12
Attack: Unarmed Strike +8 melee (1d8+4), or slam +8 (1d4+3) or +1 light crossbow +9 ranged (1d8, bolt of stunning)
Full Attack: Unarmed Strike+8/+3 melee (1d8+4), or slam +8 (1d4+3), or +1 light crossbow +9/+4 ranged (1d8, bolt of stunning)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Sneak Attack 1d6,
Special Qualities: Frisk, Knows the Back of His Hand, Living construct traits, Shake ‘em Up, Uncanny Dodge
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 14 (16 with bracers), Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 12
Skills: Bluff +4, Climb +2, Gather Information +12, Hide +5, Intimidate +13, Jump +3, Knowledge (local) +10, Listen +4, Move Silently +5, Search +10, Sense Motive +8, Spot +6, Use Rope +4
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike), Improved Unarmed Strike, Investigate, Mithral Body, Run, Urban Tracking, Weapon Specialization (unarmed strike)
Challenge Rating: 6

Possessions:
Bracers of Dexterity +2, +1 light crossbow, quiver of stunning bolts (20 bolts, fortitude save DC 14 or stunned for 2 rounds), eyeglass of faerie fire (2 uses per day, as per the spell faerie fire as a 5th level caster), 4 tanglefoot bags

Relentless is an independent inquisitive and thief-catcher in the city of Sharn. Open to the highest bidder he never breaks a contract unless his employer breaks it first. A group of adventures can enlist his help, but at a price, or can join him in an existing hunt.

Edivad
2007-07-30, 03:18 PM
Wow, thanks for following all of my suggestions. Actually, I had skipped Bruising Blow....now that I check it, it's fine, altough, if you wanted to be generous, you could lower the level at which they get it.

Their sneak attack more than makes up for the reduced damage of unarmed combat compared to magical weapons - at least when not fighting undeads or constructs.
But still, at level 13 most characters will probably have at least +2 weapon, while an Enforcer's fist cannot be enhancted, though I guess a DM can hand out things like magical brass-knuckles.

One idea might be to lower the level at which they get the ability from 10 or 11 but add that they have to keep BOTH hands free to gain it's benefits. That's a small drawback which fits - and anyway having a shield in your left hand while you punch with your right one does look a bit silly.

It's fairly obvious that Enforcers are at somewhat of a disadvantage in a non-urban setting, but that's intentional and so it's ok. Myself, I'd be happy to try one, if I get the chance to DM a game or two of D&D I'll probably test a few as NPCs....