PDA

View Full Version : Running this by you

ZorroGames
2017-04-23, 08:59 AM
Want to run a concept character past you guys.

Started with white box OD&D, stopped when moved (2nd Edition AD&D) but now that:

1) I am retired

2) wife retires less than two years

3) friend (ex-coworker, War gamer and DM) has done some adventures for his adult children and SOs - Significant Others - wants me to run some games

4) wife is open to once a month FRPG sessions after retirement

I need to exercise by player muscles before my DM muscles so, I was thinking something different from my trademark Cleric, Dwarf Fighter/Fighter-Thief, or human fighter like either a Monk/Wizard multiclassing PC or a straight up Dwarf Monk.

I have played Wizards as secondary level choices from the beginning and human monks back in the Greyhawk supplement to OD&D days (death by D4 hp syndrome) but 5th Edition seems a long overdue tuning AD&D needed IMNSHO instead of 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 versions though I have read what we would call the core books for all those but not played. Admittedly the concepts in AD&D 2.0 "complete" guides had potential but lacked balance or occasionally even logic.

The PC would be oriented toward 25% quests, 25% role play, and 50% conflict management aka "roll play" aka combat in design.

More data to follow after church but for now please point out "character design flaws/traps" in the general concept you see jump out of you for 5th Edition.

Zman
2017-04-23, 09:30 AM
5e is definitely the right edition for you given your history. One of the beautiful things about 5e is that it is awedulky hard to mess a character up. Most combinations and character types play just fine. Now, there are some "too good" feats and combinations, some classes that struggle, but outside of that the game plays like a dream.

Monk Wizard multiclass would be awedulky hard to pull off, by Dearven monk is definitely doable. Monk is solid for the first ten or so levels, then starts to fall behind combat wise relying on spamming stunning strike.

EvilAnagram
2017-04-23, 09:54 AM
If you're looking for some casting to go with a monk base, the Druid of the Land has great options for both damage and control. It's a solid combat option, especially since the monk's mobility can introduce fun control options.

Beechgnome
2017-04-23, 07:34 PM
I came back too after a 27-year absence and 5e is great to transition from 1e; it has the spirit without half the mechanical clunkiness. You'll get the hang of things like Advantage, Concentration (spells) and Attunement (magic items) pretty quick.

Monks are fun but a Monk/wizard isn't the most natural fit.

Fighter has an Eldritch Knight archetype which if you play him finesse might be what you are going for, or maybe a Valor Bard.

A land druid/monk as mentioned could be fun; my preference for land druid is Coast, because Misty Step and Mirror Image are two handy spells for someone who mixes it up in melee.

ZorroGames
2017-04-24, 08:50 AM
5e is definitely the right edition for you given your history. One of the beautiful things about 5e is that it is awedulky hard to mess a character up. Most combinations and character types play just fine. Now, there are some "too good" feats and combinations, some classes that struggle, but outside of that the game plays like a dream.

Monk Wizard multiclass would be awedulky hard to pull off, by Dearven monk is definitely doable. Monk is solid for the first ten or so levels, then starts to fall behind combat wise relying on spamming stunning strike.

Good to hear opinions from experienced players/DMs but could you help a re-entrant with specifics about why you think the monk wizard design would be hard, please?

The group I am thinking of joining to get back into the groove abandoned Wizards after one dungeon delve because the player thought she was not participating fully except to take damage. She switched to Bard with DM permission but apparently at 3rd level she is still struggling to get the hang of her skill set. Just from third hand stories she seems to have a tendency to get stuck in as a melee character and forgets her other options in the heat of the moment.

I seriously considered gnome (they don't have one) Wizard (they don't have one) initially but the new Monk class just blew me away. Since they do not have a dwarf it a monk that might be helpful was my thought.

ZorroGames
2017-04-24, 08:53 AM
If you're looking for some casting to go with a monk base, the Druid of the Land has great options for both damage and control. It's a solid combat option, especially since the monk's mobility can introduce fun control options.

Reading the class descriptions again I see that but the potential party I might join already has a Druid and since I never played one I didn't want to duplicate any current characters that party has (see my reply above to Zman, please.)

ZorroGames
2017-04-24, 08:59 AM
I came back too after a 27-year absence and 5e is great to transition from 1e; it has the spirit without half the mechanical clunkiness. You'll get the hang of things like Advantage, Concentration (spells) and Attunement (magic items) pretty quick.

Monks are fun but a Monk/wizard isn't the most natural fit.

Fighter has an Eldritch Knight archetype which if you play him finesse might be what you are going for, or maybe a Valor Bard.

A land druid/monk as mentioned could be fun; my preference for land druid is Coast, because Misty Step and Mirror Image are two handy spells for someone who mixes it up in melee.

Beechgnome,
Please expand on how that combination is not a natural fit in 5th Edition please? Not disagreeing but have so much to re-learn, unlearn, and learn anew after so many years away.

BTW, my wife would love that avatar name for a character name. She truly appreciates gnomes and not just in OD&D. Her first character was a gnome Fighter-Illussionist named Acacia.

ZorroGames
2017-04-24, 09:04 AM

Snippage...

Ooh, I like those spells...

Beechgnome
2017-04-24, 09:07 AM
It really comes down to ability scores. Monks need Dexterity and Wisdom to thrive, Wizards rely on Intelligence and Constitution (concentration saves, extra hp). It is hard in 5e to be good at four stats at once, even if you dump Strength and Charisma down to 8.

ZorroGames
2017-04-24, 09:22 AM
Okay so unless I decide to try the multi class just for the experience let's talk Monk traditions.

Way of the Open Hand - other than the ethical implications of Quivering Palm, but then I would be shooting for Lawful Neutral more than Lawgul Good or my default standard Neutral Good...

Way of the Shadow - SO PERFECT, Yea! Problem, I am not sure how comfortable either my friend as DM or the groups' original (newbie) DM would be with that tradition unless I could persuade them that a guild type organization would somehow be playable with the party's Paladin... Hmm.

Way of the Four Elememts - Now this I like and it puts some spell like effects available to help out the party at certain levels.

The party has a predilection for using Thunderwave (I think that is the one) spells but they have had really good rolls for monster saves and really bad rolls for effective results so far. They average third level I believe so they must be doing some things right but they have apparently been much more successful with melee results. IIRC they have a halfling Rogue,
a Ranger, a Paladin, a Bard and a Druid. Other than the halfling they have a Dragon Born, a Tiefling, and a couple of humans (?) - there may be a half elf instead of a human. Not sure which race goes with which class (senior moment.)

The Dwarf Monk (or admittedly an elf wizard) might complement the group composition and help me get back into adventuring shape, right?

Vorpalchicken
2017-04-24, 09:28 AM
You should definitely play a monk because you are excited to play that class. You could go shadow monk if you want some "magic tricks" but four elements just doesn't have enough ki to do a satisfying amount of abracadabra. Of course open hand is awesome if you don't care about being wizardy

The main trouble with MC wizard is you won't likely have a good intelligence score because you've already sunk your best stats into dex Wis and likely con. The actual score has a lot more relevance than in od&d because it determines how difficult it is for your enemies to save versus your spells among other things.

The other problem is mcing at all when you are calling full caster. Each non caster level dilutes your power and puts you further behind the real casters in your party. Waiting even one extra level for your juicy new spell levels can be agony. And fun monk stuff demands monk levels. You may end up being a ki starved monk with underpowered wizard spells and that's just not fun compared to the single class you could be.

ZorroGames
2017-04-24, 09:30 AM
It really comes down to ability scores. Monks need Dexterity and Wisdom to thrive, Wizards rely on Intelligence and Constitution (concentration saves, extra hp). It is hard in 5e to be good at four stats at once, even if you dump Strength and Charisma down to 8.

Or get really lucky with a string of dice rolls at character creation.

A friend rolled up a fighter back in the days of 3D6 in order character creation. Strength 18, Dexterity 18, Constitution 18 (all natural) and the other three 10 or better. OMG, that was such a fun character to have in a party...

Beechgnome
2017-04-24, 09:54 AM
I would say go Shadow Monk if you are excited to. It doesn't need to be an evil thing; just tell your paladin that without light, there can no shadow and that shadows and shade are places of refuge, of regeneration and respite. Then Shadow step behind a bugbear and stunning strike with moral and physical authority!

ZorroGames
2017-04-24, 10:09 AM
I would say go Shadow Monk if you are excited to. It doesn't need to be an evil thing; just tell your paladin that without light, there can no shadow and that shadows and shade are places of refuge, of regeneration and respite. Then Shadow step behind a bugbear and stunning strike with moral and physical authority!

Ooh, I like that idea.

Monk is so much more appealing then running around with D4s for hp values, I know how hard that is!

ZorroGames
2017-04-24, 10:11 AM
You should definitely play a monk because you are excited to play that class. You could go shadow monk if you want some "magic tricks" but four elements just doesn't have enough ki to do a satisfying amount of abracadabra. Of course open hand is awesome if you don't care about being wizardy

The main trouble with MC wizard is you won't likely have a good intelligence score because you've already sunk your best stats into dex Wis and likely con. The actual score has a lot more relevance than in od&d because it determines how difficult it is for your enemies to save versus your spells among other things.

The other problem is mcing at all when you are calling full caster. Each non caster level dilutes your power and puts you further behind the real casters in your party. Waiting even one extra level for your juicy new spell levels can be agony. And fun monk stuff demands monk levels. You may end up being a ki starved monk with underpowered wizard spells and that's just not fun compared to the single class you could be.
:smallbiggrin:
Point taken under serious consideration.