PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] Creating a diversion to hide

DonLouigi
2017-04-23, 05:12 PM
Ahoy,

I've come across a part of the stealth rules in Pathfinder:

Creating a Diversion to Hide: You can use Bluff to allow you to use Stealth. A successful Bluff check can give you the momentary diversion you need to attempt a Stealth check while people are aware of you.

However I could not find a reference to this anywhere so I ask myself: How does this work? What kind of action is the bluff check? What is the DC (does the recipient roll Sense Motive, as usual for bluff)? What kind of conditions and/or modifications apply to the corresponding Stealth-Check?

Does anyone have further information or experience on how to handle this?

All the best.

Zaq
2017-04-23, 05:50 PM
I don't know PF, but in 3.5, using Bluff to create a diversion to hide is a standard action. Based on the 3.5 rules, I believe that it's likely an opposed roll (Bluff vs. Sense Motive, probably?) rather than a set DC, but I wouldn't be shocked if PF changed that somehow.

Geddy2112
2017-04-23, 10:12 PM
At the absolute minimum, a bluff check to create a diversion to hide is a standard action-the shortest time a bluff check can be is a standard action, and that is from feinting in combat.

A bluff check to say "hey, look over there" or create some other diversion would be a standard at minimum, or a full round or perhaps even longer for a more elaborate diversion.

Regardless, these checks are opposed by a sense motive check by anyone you are trying to deceive. There could be situational modifiers depending on what kind of diversion you setup. For example, yelling "look over there" would likely be an unmodified check, but if there were several large explosions/sounds to collaborate, it might give a +5 to the bluff check.

The stealth check works the same as any other stealth check, with all modifiers working as normal. These checks are opposed by perception of whoever was the target of the diversion, and would likely be a roll vs a passive check as they will probably be actively looking for whoever caused the diversion.

Rainshine
2017-04-23, 10:30 PM
While I believe there are ways to get Bluff checks for certain purposes down under standard actions (move, free, etc), those are typically linked to certain usages, i.e. Feinting. If you're stealthing, you're likely going to be using a move for that movement, so...
Anyways, it appears to me that this is one of many carried rules from 3.5. Check out the hide rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/bluff.htm) where it is called out for that purpose as standard action

DonLouigi
2017-04-25, 01:20 PM
Alright,l as it seems pathfinder does not have explicit rules, I agree, my reccomendation to our GM will be a standard action, opposed by the target's Sense Motive.

However, concerning the Stealth Check, I did find something else:

If your observers are momentarily distracted (such as by a Bluff check), you can attempt to use Stealth. While the others turn their attention from you, you can attempt a Stealth check if you can get to an unobserved place of some kind. This check, however, is made at a –10 penalty because you have to move fast.

So, if you use the distraction you take -10? That seems excessive on top of the action cost. On the other hand it basically allows you to hide in plain sight, so maybe it is justified?