PDA

View Full Version : Steely Resolve/Stone Bones

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-30, 03:54 PM
I wanted to see if I am doing this right:

1st Round- I attack with Stone Bones, and hit, thus granting my 5/adam DR.
I then get hit for 10, which is reduced to 5 by DR, and then goes into my steely resolve pool.

2nd round- I attack again with Stone Bones, via Swift Recovery, or having my manuevers reset as per normal crusader rules. I hit again, continuing my DR for another round, and then the steely resolve pool deals me five damage, which is negated by my DR of 5/adam.

I am interested in RAW here, not "I would rule it this way".

Behold_the_Void
2007-07-30, 04:14 PM
I think by RAW you'd take the 5. You delayed the damage but still took it on the turn beforehand. I could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure Steely Resolve damage isn't negated by, say, Stoneskin so I imagine the same would be true for this.

Arbitrarity
2007-07-30, 04:23 PM
I don't see why not, unless the damage the delayed pool deals isn't physical.

"Any hit point damage dealt" (reduced by DR) goes into the pool. "At the end of your next turn, you take damage equal to the total stored in the pool."

Now, the second clause is interesting. It doesn't say what sort of damage, and thereby if it is reduced by DR, which leads to no conclusion.

Starsinger
2007-07-30, 04:32 PM
If it doesn't say a type, it's untyped damage, and I don't think untyped damage is stopped by anything..

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-30, 04:34 PM
untyped damage IS stopped by DR. It's typed damage that bypasses it.

Is steely resolve Ex. or Su.? This would seem relevant given:

The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.

Starsinger
2007-07-30, 04:38 PM
Slashing, Bludgeoning, and Piercing are stopped by DR. Taking X damage, like say from Searing Light, isn't.

Exarch
2007-07-30, 04:43 PM
While you'd be right if it stated, "DR: 5/-" the DR is 5/Adam. So only damage coming from adamantium weaponry can bypass it, so untyped is still blocked.

That's a pretty vicious cycle there...

Douglas
2007-07-30, 04:47 PM
No matter what type of DR you have, it only stops damage from weapons. Is Steely Resolve a weapon?

Reference: A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#damageReduction)

Lapak
2007-07-30, 04:53 PM
I don't have the book in front of me, but I didn't think that anything but preemptive healing could negate damage in the Steely Resolve pool?

EDIT: To take a very similar example, I don't think that you can get hit for 10, have someone cast Stoneskin on you after the fact, and avoid the damage next round.

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-30, 04:54 PM
The most relevant section is this one:

The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.

We have a specific list of what damage sources bypass DR. Just need to look up whether Steely Resolve is Ex. or Su.

Is Steely Resolve a weapon?

Define weapon. I define a weapon as anything that deals damage. Otherwise why specify that spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities ignore DR?

Douglas
2007-07-30, 06:41 PM
Define weapon. I define a weapon as anything that deals damage. Otherwise why specify that spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities ignore DR?
In the context of D&D rules mechanics, a weapon is a solid object used to damage someone by physically hitting him with it, plus any explicit exceptions.

The specification regarding spells, etc., is there solely for clarity.

Fax Celestis
2007-07-30, 06:43 PM

I would define a weapon as anything in the "weapons" section of the PHB or other books, natural weapons (such as a bite, gore, or slam), improvised weapons, or weapon-like spells. Class features aren't weaponry.