PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Ammunition

Dhavaer
2007-07-30, 07:34 PM
I seem to remember there being different types of bolts and arrows, that had different damage types or got bonuses and penalties in different situaitons. Can anyone tell me if they exist and, if so, where they're from? I'm particularly interested in a bolt that does slashing damage.

ForzaFiori
2007-07-30, 07:40 PM
Arms and Equipment has some alternate ammunition.

Jimp
2007-07-30, 07:42 PM
I think Complete Warrior had a few too.

JackMage666
2007-07-30, 07:54 PM
And, Races of the Wild

Jimbob
2007-07-31, 06:16 AM
loads in Kalamar players guide

Ikkitosen
2007-07-31, 06:19 AM
And, Races of the Wild

These are the ones I remember. Damn tricksy elves.

Attilargh
2007-07-31, 06:19 AM
There's a few in Iron Kingdoms Character Guide as well. Includes such useful ones as message arrows, rope cutters and screaming bolts.

Dhavaer
2007-07-31, 06:21 AM
Races of the Wild had the ones I was thinking of, but unfortunately they only have arrows. Shouldn't be a problem to change them to bolts, though.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-31, 06:44 AM
Races of the Wild had the ones I was thinking of, but unfortunately they only have arrows. Shouldn't be a problem to change them to bolts, though.

Yeah, you call them bolts, & everyone looks the other way. I tend to use them interchangably anyway.

Swooper
2007-07-31, 07:45 AM
Mongoose Publishing's Quintessential Fighter has some good ones too. Mostly arrows iirc, and some cheesy bow-addons (bow stabilizers, wtf? And how is an oily bowstring better than a regular one?).

Attilargh
2007-07-31, 07:51 AM
bow stabilizers, wtf?.
They exist (http://www.archeryvictoria.asn.au/images/switchback.jpg). If you've ever wondered what those rods on olympic bows are for, they're stabilizers.

Wolf_Shade
2007-07-31, 08:07 AM
And how is an oily bowstring better than a regular one?).
Less fricktion between the string and the air on release allowing for a minute but potentially useful increase in arrow velocity? I dunno if that's the case, just one thought.

Edit: With a string made of a material that can become brittle when dry, it also keeps it in better condition.

Swooper
2007-07-31, 08:34 AM
They exist (http://www.archeryvictoria.asn.au/images/switchback.jpg). If you've ever wondered what those rods on olympic bows are for, they're stabilizers.
Well, not being interested in other sports than my own (fencing), I actually hadn't wondered because I've never seen them :smalltongue: The picture in QF looks very different though, kind of like an upturned V, each rod ~10-15cm long, with weights on the end. Attached to the sides of the bow near the grip.

lukelightning
2007-07-31, 08:36 AM
And how is an oily bowstring better than a regular one?

An oily bow catches the wyrm.

Anyhoo, I would say that all these special bow features are just part of masterwork quality.

Swooper
2007-07-31, 08:41 AM
An oily bow catches the wyrm.

Anyhoo, I would say that all these special bow features are just part of masterwork quality.
...That pun was so bad it hurt :smalleek:

Good call though.

Attilargh
2007-07-31, 09:05 AM
The picture in QF looks very different though, kind of like an upturned V, each rod ~10-15cm long, with weights on the end. Attached to the sides of the bow near the grip.
Like this (http://www.dva.asn.au/af/erika_samick.jpg)?

Truth: It's stranger than D&D.