PDA

View Full Version : RWBY: Powered by Fate

Zerohour
2017-04-24, 12:38 AM
I've really enjoyed RWBY over the past few years, and would love to run a game with my friends. As far as I know, there isn't an official Tabletop game released, so why not make it myself and get some experience tinkering with a system.

I'm using the Fate System because it's simple and flexible. I know this is primarily a D&D site, but that doesn't really fit with the high action of RWBY. Even if Fate turns out to not be a great fit for RWBY, I think it will give me a better general idea of what I want out of it, and what I need to do to get that.

Below are a list of things that need to be addressed for the system, and my initial ideas on how to handle them. This is very much a work in progress, and right now pretty much serves to get the ideas out there and see what sticks, rather than a fully researched and tested setup.

Aura:
Aura seems to basically be the combat stress track. Without it, your characters are pretty much just mooks waiting to get eaten. Unlocking your aura might be necessary to discovering your semblance, but it's hard to say for sure, since Aura seems to be the fundamentals of any degree of combat skill.

My current plans for Aura is to use stunts to model it. I feel like there's a bit more to Aura than just being a way to soak up attacks or heal from minor injuries. Judging by a couple of fight scenes, I feel that it might be possible to use Aura in an offensive manner, sacrificing stress to boost an attack.

Couple of possible Stunts:
Awakened Aura: You have an Aura stress track of 2 boxes.
Aura Plethora: You have an additional Aura Stress Box
Wrathful Aura: Check off one of your Aura stress boxes. You next attack does an additional amount of damage equal to the box's value if it hits.

I'd like there to be a few more options for this. It might also tie in to using semblances, but I'm not really sure if it's a good idea to integrate them like that.

Having a "Spirit" skill to determine how much stress you can absorb might be possible, but I don't want it to be just something you need for a bigger stress track, and I certainly don't want to combine it with Will, since that would make it a necessity for any type of conflict

Physique Skill: I still want to have this as a skill, but I'm not sure how much of it's Stress and Consequences would still be a factor. I definitely want it to make you tougher, but at the same time, Aura already covers that aspect. Current plan is it grants additional consequences at higher levels, but not stress, but I don't know if that's a good idea.

Semblances:
Semblances should be pretty easy to manage. They're essentially unique super stunts for the various characters. Probably best to create a collection of semblances to see how they stack up against each other. Would require a lot of play testing and screwing around with options.

Examples:

Ruby Rose:
Speed Queen [-5]
Essentially just an expy of Supernatural Speed from Dresden Files. Always goes first in initiative, +2 to all athletics (+4 if sprinting,) can move two zones for free, and ignore 4 points of difficulty for stealth while moving.
Notes: Higher price than original power because there isn't bonus refresh for being "mortal."

Nora Valkyrie
Mistress of the Storm [-5]
Immune to electrical damage. Whenever hit with electricity, gains the Aspect: Fully Charged with a free invoke. Gain an additional free invoke for every two stress it would have inflicted.
Notes: Immunity to electricity is fairly useful, but the ability to turn it into a major power up probably justifies the higher Refresh cost, especially if your allies are willing to blast you with lightning dust and you don't bother dodging. Might be higher, but hard to say without testing.

Li Ren:
Peaceful Presence [-6]
Grimm cannot detect your presence, allowing you to walk by them without fear of attack. You can extend this to one other person, or forsake the protection it gives you to protect two others instead.
Notes: Essentially allows you to always pass a Stealth check against Grimm. They're not the only enemy out there, but they are the most common and threatening. Might be less powerful than I think it is, but having a blank check to avoid large numbers of fights, evacuate injured teammates, or get into the perfect position to strike in a lot of battles seems very powerful to me.

Dust:
Not sure the best way to model Dust. Seems like it's mainly used as an Aspect to boost your attacks or defenses so far. Haven't really seen much use of it outside of battle. For now I'm leaning towards getting a few free Boosts for every Refresh point spent on Dust Supply or something similar.

Might have a Dust stress track that represents how much you have available. Can recover using resources when there's a place to buy more dust? There definitely needs to be a limit on how much you can use it per session, unless you pay the price for it.

Grimm:
I think the best way to model Grimm is to give them lots of Armor and Weapons. They aren't particularly skilled, but it takes effort to take one down, and if they manage to hit you, you're in trouble. Since Grimm don't have Aura, I'm against giving them a stress track, instead having Mild, Moderate, or Severe Consequences only depending on how powerful the Grimm is. Weak Grimm probably die as soon as you can overcome their armor, while powerful Grimm will be able to soak up a decent amount of damage.

Might ditch consequences too, and just have them as one hit wonders. You have to work to overcome their armor, but they die the instant you manage it. Leaning away from this, since Grimm can be hurt and survive.

Stunts:
Weapons Mastery (Weapon): When using your preferred weapon, you can use Fight or Shoot to attack and defend with it. Gain a +1 to attacks when using
Notes: Pretty much a necessity given how they switch back and forth between short and long range attacks. Might drop the +1 bonus to attacks, but right now I think it makes sense.

Other:

There's a lot of movement in RWBY, either trying to get into a good position to hit, or because you're being knocked around. Thinking that any attack that succeeds with style allows you to move your target into an adjacent zone. Not 100% sure on this one.

Any suggestions, comments, or thoughts are appreciated. Likewise, if there are aspects of RWBY that I missed initially, please let me know so I can work on them, and feel free to offer your own opinions or builds!