PDA

View Full Version : Official stance about ego tripping threads?

Kalmageddon
2017-04-24, 01:58 AM
You know, the kind of thread titled along the lines of "ask me lots of things about me".
I've seen some of them getting locked citing that they are inappropriate, yet there are some that are still going and number a few pages. I wonder if there is an actual criteria of choice beside how popular or how old a user is.

JNAProductions
2017-04-24, 08:47 AM
I've only seen two-and the locked one was getting pretty heated. I don't think there's any special criteria for locking them, they just get locked if they appear to be breaking the rules.

5a Violista
2017-04-24, 05:01 PM
I've seen five of these crop up, but I've only seen one get locked. So, I don't know which ones you're talking about when you say you've seen multiple ones getting locked.
I assume the ones that you're talking about got locked because they either broke some forum rule.

Here's what happened to the ones I've seen:
One of them was abandoned because it started to go off topic, so new threads were created for the new topics.
Another one is still going on, and the "askee" consistently posts , included a good deal of information in the first post, and has a unique situation that gives reason for people to be interested in asking questions, and is still running.
Another thread died due to disinterest on everybody's part.
One was closed: it started out with a short first post with no direction or information on knowledge base, and gave only one-sentence answers, and as a result only one or two asked question in the thread was really had to do with the original poster, quickly including accusatory posts.
The fifth thread I've seen is still running and, through the first post, questions, and answers is almost exclusively about cats and cat behavior.

A pattern I can see about why some are succeeding while others aren't:
(1) If people aren't interested in it, the thread will die (either from being forgotten or from rule breakage).
(2) People aren't going to be interested it unless the first poster gives a good reason why people should care about it.
(3) If it breaks a rule, it gets closed. It's more likely to break a rule if people don't have a good reason to be interested in its success.

So, I think that's the official criteria: If it breaks the rules, it gets closed. If nobody cares about it, it gets forgotten.

Roland St. Jude
2017-04-24, 05:08 PM
Sheriff: This is one of those things that doesn't inherently violate the Forum Rules, but it might get closed for administrative reasons. The main administrative reasons would be: 1) that it seems likely to violate the Forum Rules (such as a thread made with political or religious implications); 2) that is seems likely to attract spam answers (such as a thread made as a joke or sarcastically); or 3) it doesn't seem calculated or likely to actually generate discussion (this is a discussion forum). That's just off the top of my head, though. We may have other reasons to close one, and, as with the fan club fiasco, we may have to make a more sweeping rule prohibiting them, if they get out of hand.