PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Dex based tempest cleric

dungeoneer
2017-04-24, 02:07 AM
Hello,

I've just picked up 5e 2 months ago and we've been running AL in a small local shop. We started out with the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure and we've been having a blast. We have two different groups running the adventure simultaneously.

I've been playing a Lore bard up till now. Our main DM also plays a bard and has multiclassed into Knowledge Cleric, something I also had in mind. Since we're thinking of merging our two groups and two bards might be a wee bit too much (we don't want to wind up as the D&D equivalent of One Direction...) I've been looking at rebuilding a cleric. Currently at level 4 so I can still rebuild within the first tier of AL.

I like the fluff of the tempest domain, but I don't want to fall into the obvious 'thorfullplatemeleeTHUNDAH' trap.

I've been looking at different tempest domain deities and one that catches my eye is Aerdrie Faenya. She's in SCAG so AL legal. Picking Wood Elf as race, 16dex,16wisdom 16 con (15 base +1 resilient con) 10 intell, 8 cha en str. Forgoing the heavy armor in favor of studded leather. So instead of wading into melee I'm sticking to the back, using a longbow for weaving in a shot once in a while. Using Thunderwave - wrath of storm and thunderbolt strike to repel mooks who get to close.
Putting my profs in perception, acrobatics, insight and stealth. High dex also grants me an initiative boost.

My question is, since AL is a bit more about optimization, would I gimp my party by going with a dex build or would this be competitive for AL use?

Best regards and thanks in advance for the input,
D

djreynolds
2017-04-24, 02:20 AM
Well, if you are using a bow with one attack in time sacred flame will do more damage.

dungeoneer
2017-04-24, 02:33 AM
Well, if you are using a bow with one attack in time sacred flame will do more damage.

Well the bow is there for the interaction with Divine Strike 'At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.'

So at level 8 it will net me 2d8 + dex modifier with a regular LBow. At higher level Sacred Flame will outscale this, but I like the fluff of shooting thunderarrows... As tempest cleric I sadly don't get to add my wisdom modifier to the cantrips damage.

D

dungeoneer
2017-04-24, 02:38 AM
Well the bow is there for the interaction with Divine Strike 'At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 thunder damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.'

So at level 8 it will net me 2d8 + dex modifier with a regular LBow. At higher level Sacred Flame will outscale this, but I like the fluff of shooting thunderarrows... As tempest cleric I sadly don't get to add my wisdom modifier to the cantrips damage.

D

And I'm not going to invest in bow related feats, it's just there for the theme and as a backup between Sacred Flame scaling. ASI - wisdom increase at level 8 and 12. Then maybe dex at 16 and 18. But that's still a long way up the road.

TundraBuccaneer
2017-04-24, 02:43 AM

I don't think so. You don't ad ability scores to cantrips as a tempest, with a bow you do so you have a static damage next to your dice whilst sacred flame has 2 dice so the bow has more of a average damage. And at lvl8 when you wisdom should be increased at least once making sacred flame better as a tempest cleric you get divine strike making it so that you bow does more damage.

So in general I think using a bow which also has a greater reach would be perfectly fine.

Arkhios
2017-04-24, 03:06 AM
While I'm not a huge fan of AL myself, the same principles apply in every game.

So, a cleric - whose primary stat is wisdom - can do just as fine in melee as from range. With or without related feats.

I don't think you're going to shaft your group at all by going archer cleric with tempest domain. As you said, 'ThorfullplatemeleeTHUNDAH' is quite worn-out cliché already. I'd say it's refreshing for all of them to see something different for once.

Mandragola
2017-04-24, 05:04 AM
You'll be fine. I play a wood elf cleric of Corellon (light domain) and it's a fun character that can do lots of things quite well - scout, stand on the front line, blast things and heal. Similar build to yours, though I only have 14 con and no resilient feat.

The trick is getting stealth. Because a character with high dex and wis, plus perception and stealth proficiencies, is a useeful scout, which is always handy. So be an urban bounty hunter (SCAG) or something. There are backgrounds that give perception, giving you a skill you can put into anything you like (pick stealth!).

You probably won't be raising your dex above 16 for a long time, if ever. So you may find that you're better off in breastplate (if sneaking) or half plate (if not). And you can use a shield, which might well be a good idea if you're casting spells. In reality your equipment choice might be dictated by the magic items the group finds. Not all that many characters use medium armour in my experience, so if a nice breastplate drops you might well get it.

Tempest is arguably the most powerful domain, though you don't get all the benefits if you're not using the heavy armour and if you're already proficient with most weapons. A wood elf can go with more or less any domain I think, as you are proficient with all the armour you need and quite a lot of weapons. Weapons aren't massively important for clerics anyway, so long as you come across one that you can use.

Tell your friend he probably shouldn't multiclass his bard. I really don't think it's ever worth multiclassing casters, delaying their high-level spells. Lots of people misread the multiclass spellcaster rules and think you can cast spells from both classes with no delay to progression - but that is not the case.

djreynolds
2017-04-24, 06:07 AM
And I'm not going to invest in bow related feats, it's just there for the theme and as a backup between Sacred Flame scaling. ASI - wisdom increase at level 8 and 12. Then maybe dex at 16 and 18. But that's still a long way up the road.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for flavor, if you cleric uses a bow... awesome go for it.

But you want to get hit, and be in melee. Rapier and shield and leather is just fine. Thunderous Rebuke and spirit guardians will add in this by punishing those who would attack you.

When you have both of these running you will also make of yourself a nice sanctuary for party members to retreat to.

Its crazy, but I recommend a dip in druid or magic initiate and snag thunderclap cantrip, it is nice to have and scales better than thunderwave.

guachi
2017-04-24, 09:02 AM
The massive range advantage alone makes doing this useful and it takes zero extra feats/skills/abilities to use.

In my campaign now I have a number of elven clerics (NPCs) who are tempest clerics for the weather related spells and I think I will add this to their repetoire.

This ability far outranges any actual spell in the game that isn't modified by some ability.

Specter
2017-04-24, 11:44 AM
Sure, why not? As mentioned, pick up Stealth, and don't be afraid to join melee with a rapier. Your lightning rebuke needs to see some use, after all.

DivisibleByZero
2017-04-24, 11:51 AM

D

If you start with a 16 Dex and never put an ASI into it ---
Level 1: Sacred Flame: 1d8 =~4.5
Level 1: Bow: 1d8+dex =~7.5
Level 5: SF: 2d8 =~9
Level 8: Bow: 2d8+dex =~12
Level 11: SF: 3d8 =~13.5
Level 14: Bow: 3d8+dex =~15.5
Level 17: SF: 4d8 =~18

So it starts with the advantage going to the bow by a few points, and then (starting at level 5) every three levels that changes to SF, then to bow, then to SF, and so on and so forth. But the difference is marginal. Use whichever one you prefer.

dungeoneer
2017-04-24, 12:45 PM
Thank you for the input everyone.

I'm actually thinking of avoiding melee altogether and creating a ranged 'sanctuary' sort of speak with Spirit Guardians, Thunderwave, Thunderbolt Strike'd Wrath of the Storm. Invite our wizard over for some sandwiches as we watch the bad guys slowly walk to their doom. (preferably behind some nice cover). Throw some heals, keep up Spiritual Weapon, the occasional debuff.

Give the goons a choice of going toe - to - toe with our barb and pally and being picked off one by one from range or going after us pour casters and turning their deliciously exposed backs to the melee.

The breastplate idea is actually quite nice, didn't even notice it doesn't impede disadvantage on stealth.

And thanks for the mat DivisibleByZero!

Galadhrim
2017-04-24, 01:43 PM

I'm actually thinking of avoiding melee altogether and creating a ranged 'sanctuary' sort of speak with Spirit Guardians, Thunderwave, Thunderbolt Strike'd Wrath of the Storm. Invite our wizard over for some sandwiches as we watch the bad guys slowly walk to their doom. (preferably behind some nice cover). Throw some heals, keep up Spiritual Weapon, the occasional debuff.

Give the goons a choice of going toe - to - toe with our barb and pally and being picked off one by one from range or going after us pour casters and turning their deliciously exposed backs to the melee.

Not to mention you have the old stand by Bless, which is perfect for you barbarian and paladin, and helps your spiritual weapon land. And, when you really feel like bringing the wrath of the gods, you can call lightning or shatter and maximize them. Tempest is one of the best domains for blasting, so going dex and staying at range works great.

Biggstick
2017-04-24, 02:21 PM
Not to mention you have the old stand by Bless, which is perfect for you barbarian and paladin, and helps your spiritual weapon land. And, when you really feel like bringing the wrath of the gods, you can call lightning or shatter and maximize them. Tempest is one of the best domains for blasting, so going dex and staying at range works great.

Echoing this statement.

As long as you're contributing in someway through a bit of damage or a bit of party support, Bless is a fantastic contribution to almost any combat encounter. Your party will not think poorly of you if you throw up a Bless.

And on the combats where your concentration isn't on Bless? It's being spent on spells like Call Lightning, Spirit Guardians, and the like. You're doing fantastic damage with these abilities, and the party will definitely appreciate having this capability as well.

djreynolds
2017-04-27, 02:53 AM
If you start with a 16 Dex and never put an ASI into it ---
Level 1: Sacred Flame: 1d8 =~4.5
Level 1: Bow: 1d8+dex =~7.5
Level 5: SF: 2d8 =~9
Level 8: Bow: 2d8+dex =~12
Level 11: SF: 3d8 =~13.5
Level 14: Bow: 3d8+dex =~15.5
Level 17: SF: 4d8 =~18

So it starts with the advantage going to the bow by a few points, and then (starting at level 5) every three levels that changes to SF, then to bow, then to SF, and so on and so forth. But the difference is marginal. Use whichever one you prefer.

The breastplate idea is actually quite nice, didn't even notice it doesn't impede disadvantage on stealth.

And thanks for the mat DivisibleByZero!

I'm going to eat my own foot... you have sold me. Its not that bad. The bow keeps up. And it requires nothing to use it, infact any ranged weapon or thrown weapon would suffice.

Go for the bow, I'm sold

But I do like thunderclap as a cantrip if you can snag it somehow

Arkhios
2017-04-27, 03:58 AM
But I do like thunderclap as a cantrip if you can snag it somehow

Since thunderclap is a druid cantrip as well, snagging it with Magic Initiate would at least be synergistic. Not that I'd say it was necessary pick. Just informing of an option.