PDA

View Full Version : Tri Multi-class build?

Zanthy1
2017-04-24, 08:09 AM
Hello playground!

In a campaign I am playing in I want to know the goods for multiclassing into a third class. My character is a dragonborn revenant pally o' vengeance and tomelock of the undying light. (pally 6 warlock 2). Due to role play purposes, I feel like he needs the ability to Rage, as so often things have not been going his way. My question for y'all is whether it really is worth it to multiclass again into barbarian, and if so, at what level and for how many levels?

If it matters, the party consists of an elf eldrtich knight, halfelf lore bard 7 and cleric (tempest) 1, elf monk, and we have a rotating drow thief, human rogue, and dragonborn warlock (I say rotating cause they dont often make it to games, though the drow is becoming more consistent).

PeteNutButter
2017-04-24, 08:30 AM
What are your stats? What level do you expect the campaign to go to?

Overall barbarian for a 1-4 level dip is fine. Just one level gets rage which works well with things like armor of agathys and of course smite. Reckless attack can increase chances of critting for crit smites. Totem abilities are good, bear or wolf since there are lots of melee. 4th level is ASI so if you go that far, might as well grab level 4. That'd be your cut off though.

Remember you'll need to switch to medium armor, if not already in it. So if you have less than 14 dex it's probably not a good choice.

Zanthy1
2017-04-24, 08:45 AM
What are your stats? What level do you expect the campaign to go to?

Overall barbarian for a 1-4 level dip is fine. Just one level gets rage which works well with things like armor of agathys and of course smite. Reckless attack can increase chances of critting for crit smites. Totem abilities are good, bear or wolf since there are lots of melee. 4th level is ASI so if you go that far, might as well grab level 4. That'd be your cut off though.

Remember you'll need to switch to medium armor, if not already in it. So if you have less than 14 dex it's probably not a good choice.

I forgot about the medium armor restraint, so I probably will not be doing this dip. My stats are: 20 str, 10 dex, 17 con, 10 int, 12 wis, 17 cha (using rolled stats, took no feats, and a house rule for moving points at character creation). if that dex was higher then it might be worth it, but I'm not gonna bump dex at all. The campaign could go all the way to 20 or above.

RulesJD
2017-04-24, 04:55 PM
Sorcerer.

Fluff Shield spell as your dedication to your cause overwhelming the enemies attack. When you get Haste, that's your version of Rage without restricting your spellcasting abilities.

Plus Sorc + Pally is just super synergistic.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-24, 08:35 PM
Sorcerer.

Fluff Shield spell as your dedication to your cause overwhelming the enemies attack. When you get Haste, that's your version of Rage without restricting your spellcasting abilities.

Plus Sorc + Pally is just super synergistic.

A rage that can end when you get hit.

RAAAARGH! I WILL CRUSH YOU! :smallfurious:

*Gets poked with rapier*

Owie! You broke my focus on being angry!

ZorroGames
2017-04-24, 09:03 PM
Triple classing was level draining in a temporal sense as far back as I have been playing. Find the right purpose for the right classes and I suppose it can justify itself but... wow.

bid
2017-04-24, 09:25 PM
Due to role play purposes, I feel like he needs the ability to Rage, as so often things have not been going his way.
Just fluff it. No need for a mechanical advantage.

Talionis
2017-04-24, 09:52 PM
What level do you expect the campaign to go to?

Overall barbarian for a 1-4 level dip is fine. Just one level gets rage which works well with things like armor of agathys and of course smite. Reckless attack can increase chances of critting for crit smites. Totem abilities are good, bear or wolf since there are lots of melee.

Agree with this, but I find Barbarian a little hard to multiclass. Barbarians cannot rage every fight during the day. This can make it hard to build a character good in rage and not in rage.

Warlock Barbarians do have synergy , but they play out much like a transformer where you try to pick the mode that is best for the circumstance. You cast a spell, two if it's the big fight for day and you try. It to cast concentration spells in case you later rage.

I may remake my Barb Warlock now with UA Hexblade material giving smites to Warlocks. So you might be able to go with your Paladin portion. Barbarian is fun for criticals.

RulesJD
2017-04-25, 12:01 PM
A rage that can end when you get hit.

RAAAARGH! I WILL CRUSH YOU! :smallfurious:

*Gets poked with rapier*

Owie! You broke my focus on being angry!

The "Rage" is still up in that it allows you to continue to "ignore" hits that aren't above the Shielded AC *shrug*

Citan
2017-04-25, 12:40 PM
Hello playground!

In a campaign I am playing in I want to know the goods for multiclassing into a third class. My character is a dragonborn revenant pally o' vengeance and tomelock of the undying light. (pally 6 warlock 2). Due to role play purposes, I feel like he needs the ability to Rage, as so often things have not been going his way. My question for y'all is whether it really is worth it to multiclass again into barbarian, and if so, at what level and for how many levels?

If it matters, the party consists of an elf eldrtich knight, halfelf lore bard 7 and cleric (tempest) 1, elf monk, and we have a rotating drow thief, human rogue, and dragonborn warlock (I say rotating cause they dont often make it to games, though the drow is becoming more consistent).

Just fluff it. No need for a mechanical advantage.

Hi OP,

honestly I'd go with just a fluff thing too. Or, if you really want some mechanical advantage, have your DM agree on a "Rage" spell that would be a 2nd level spell and provides you all benefit of a lvl 1 Barbarian raging for the same duration.

If your DM is concerned about overall balance, it could even imo easily replace the Vengeance's lvl 7 feature, or be a special feat, with my recommendation going to "lvl 7 feature" replacement.
Not that it is bad, but...
- on one hand, the "free move" is very nice boon, but the situations where it really gives a significant benefit don't happen so often. Whereas a plain bonus to all attacks is extremely good.
- on the other hand, having Rage as a feature that consumes spell slot gives you some leeway as to when to use it, and eats into your general resource so it compensates the fact it's so good.
You could also "upcast" the spell to gain better damage bonus (+1 per higher level).

So, if your DM is ready to make a slight houserule and you just wanted something to mechanically reflect your rage fluff, I thing this "Rage spell" is by far the best option.

Of course if you were interested in other Barbarian features, going the standard multiclass way is nice also.

PeteNutButter
2017-04-25, 12:43 PM
Agree with this, but I find Barbarian a little hard to multiclass. Barbarians cannot rage every fight during the day. This can make it hard to build a character good in rage and not in rage.

This is a good point, but depends heavily on the DM and game being played. If the DM prefers fewer but more challenging combats per day, than it is a non-issue.

Most AL adventures have around 4 encounters per day, which means you can rage in 3/4 of fights with 3-4 levels in barbarian.

Zanthy1
2017-04-25, 08:47 PM
This is a good point, but depends heavily on the DM and game being played. If the DM prefers fewer but more challenging combats per day, than it is a non-issue.

Most AL adventures have around 4 encounters per day, which means you can rage in 3/4 of fights with 3-4 levels in barbarian.

So idk if this helps, but its a homebrew campaign with friends, and we just completed our 20th session. In those sessions we have spent about 1 week in game time. We do way more than 4 encounters a day, we get closer to 9, so we have gotten much better at not using all our spells and abilities so early on. Well nearly all of us, our Monk still uses all his Ki points as soon as combat starts. I guess he assumes we're gonna short rest afterwards always? hasn't happened, and he went nearly 4 sessions without Ki points.