PDA

View Full Version : DM Help New dm looking for help with a new a short campaign and its setting

Ballad
2017-04-24, 08:14 AM
Hello everyone :), as I said in my title I am a fairy new DM looking for help with a short campaign that I hope to be starting up soon using the dnd 5th ed rules. As for background of myself I have played d&d for about 4 years on and off now but have only ever GM one shot games for Dark Heresy second edition.

Honestly the reason I ask for help is i've no real idea where to start with the creation of m world or my villans. Currently the plot I have in mind is that of a setting in a vast desert city where the PC's have all been called upon by the head of an archaeological dig team/guild and have all traveled from all corners of the world to this once city (name is TBC). The archaeologists have dug up the entrance to a tunnel out in the sand wastes. All of the teams members howhave traveled to far into the cavens have either don't come back or have come back either insane or as mindless thralls thus setting up the hook for the need for our adventuring party). The party will have to deal with standard dungony stuff traps mobs ect to be able to open a massive circular door that will elad to a vast underground city under the control of a mumy lord. During the adventure the party will have encounter lost travelers, thralls of the mummy, and other explorers willing to kill the party for whatever treasure they assume is burried within. The party will eventully find out that its a sort of monster coalition (like a leauge of super villans sort of thing) this will allow me to use all sorts of gribblys wich will throw at the party. My party will have to traverse deserts, dungions and I have plans to have them be transported to other plans of existance (Namely the layers of hell). I'm taking inspiration from my past dnd experiances and kind of experinces from the Steve Jakson fighting fantasy books as I really enjoy how dungoneering can feel and think some of that is lost in many dnd games.

Now for the bits I need help with, I have totally no idea what creatures are suttible to include in my world, or how powerful to make them. ( I'm considering making my PC's start at level 10 to make them tough enough to face more intresting baddies esspecilly as I'm not sure how long the game will run for). It is also lost on me the best way to constuct a tomb or dungion style envroment will maintaining my players intrest (I've considered making my players rations limited allthough I feel that may lead to tedium). I'm tottally up for other ideas aswell if anyone can think of anything cool!

Generally I'm looking for world building help and just general help as a newbie DM! And suggestions for predicaments for my pcs to find themself in!

Thanks in advance and I appologies for my poor spelling in advance!:smallsmile::smallsmile: