PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerers and Spell Scrolls

Albions_Angel
2017-04-24, 09:52 AM
Hi all

Having a little trouble today. Maybe my heads all fuzzed up or something.

Can a Sorc cast a spell from a Spell Scroll if the spell is one on the Sorcerer list, but not one of the spells that particular player has chosen?

Ebon Rogue
2017-04-24, 10:35 AM
If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can read the scroll and cast its spell without providing any material components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible. Casting the spell by reading the scroll requires the spell’s normal casting time. Once the spell is cast, the words on the scroll fade, and it crumbles to dust. If the casting is interrupted, the scroll is not lost. -DMG Errata

So, yes you can. As long as the spell is on the sorcerer spell list(which is different from "Spells Known") you can cast it. If the spell on the scroll is higher level than you can cast you also must succeed an ability check using your spell casting modifier to use the scroll. The DC is 10 + Spell's Level, if you fail the scroll is destroyed and wasted.

Ninja_Prawn
2017-04-24, 10:44 AM
So, yes you can. As long as the spell is on the sorcerer spell list(which is different from "Spells Known") you can cast it. If the spell on the scroll is higher level than you can cast you also must succeed an ability check using your spell casting modifier to use the scroll. The DC is 10 + Spell's Level, if you fail the scroll is destroyed and wasted.

This is correct. You could probably have asked this in the Simple RAW Q&A thread, Albions_Angel.

Albions_Angel
2017-04-24, 04:31 PM
This is correct. You could probably have asked this in the Simple RAW Q&A thread, Albions_Angel.

Yeah, you are right. Honestly, I forgot it was there. I never really needed it before so kinda filter the sticky posts out when I scroll down the page. Sorry, Ill try and remember next time >.<