PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Warlock / College of Swords Bard MC

Darkwingpuck
2017-04-24, 11:00 AM
Seems like the two classes have a pretty decent synergy.

I'm starting a new 8th level character and I'm thinking Hexblade 2 / Swords Bard 6

I'm thinking the hexblade curse's bonus damage to each attack goes well with the dual wield focus of the Sword Bard and Hex Warrior ability to apply Cha bonus to weapon attack and damage eliminates the MAD issues with a melee bards. Also, shield is a great spell for the sword fighting Bard.

Thoughts?

jaappleton
2017-04-24, 11:07 AM
I'm livid. I'm actually pissed off right now, I'm serious.

HOW DID I NOT THINK OF THIS FIRST?!

You get the Shield spell, you can dual wield using charisma, you... DARN YOU, TC!

Chunkosaurus
2017-04-24, 11:19 AM
Seems like the two classes have a pretty decent synergy.

I'm starting a new 8th level character and I'm thinking Hexblade 2 / Swords Bard 6

I'm thinking the hexblade curse's bonus damage to each attack goes well with the dual wield focus of the Sword Bard and Hex Warrior ability to apply Cha bonus to weapon attack and damage eliminates the MAD issues with a melee bards. Also, shield is a great spell for the sword fighting Bard.

Thoughts?

Everyone always sleeps on the College of Swords when talking about Bards, but the more I look into it the better I feel they are. They certainly make a better melee bard than the valor bard as the flourishes are better than the combat inspiration, and the addition of a fighting style is excellent even if it is one of the poorer choices. I feel like they also synergize and mulitclass much better

jaappleton
2017-04-24, 11:23 AM
Everyone always sleeps on the College of Swords when talking about Bards, but the more I look into it the better I feel they are. They certainly make a better melee bard than the valor bard as the flourishes are better than the combat inspiration, and the addition of a fighting style is excellent even if it is one of the poorer choices. I feel like they also synergize and mulitclass much better

Agreed.

TC is on to something here.

Is it 100% the best build ever? No.

Is it strong? Yes, especially on the defensive side of things. It's also pretty much the only Bard to get a Fighting Style, so as Chunkosaurus said, its better than Valor already. The Flourishes aside from Defensive won't have much benefit for you, given (I imagine) you'll be using Rapiers or Longswords. But medium armor, so you can set Dex at 14 and call it a day, and focus strictly on Charisma and Constitution.

Hexblade's Curse provides a nice damage boost every short rest, and you have a safe haven to get that rest with Leomund's Tiny Hut if need be.

Plus access to the Shield spell, one of my favorite spells in the game.

It's a hell of a gish. Good find, TC. Good find.