PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Cost Reducing

AOKost
2017-04-24, 11:12 AM
What are all the ways 3.P to reduce the cost of Metamagic Feats on spell level? Can you get a cost of +0? Granted, some metamagic feats already have a +0 cost.

flappeercraft
2017-04-24, 11:17 AM
Arcane thesis can reduce the cost of +1 metamagics to +0 on the spell you chose for Arcane thesis (PHB2 IIRC). Other cost reducers are Practical metamagic from RotD, easy metamagic which I think is from dragon mag and then the PrC's of Incantatrix (PGtF) and Dweomekeeper (CD Web enhancement)

Venger
2017-04-24, 11:24 AM
Arcane thesis can reduce the cost of +1 metamagics to +0 on the spell you chose for Arcane thesis (PHB2 IIRC). Other cost reducers are Practical metamagic from RotD, easy metamagic which I think is from dragon mag and then the PrC's of Incantatrix (PGtF) and Dweomekeeper (CD Web enhancement)

Arcane thesis's true use is using +0 metamagics to apply a -1 adjuster onto the spell. while the total level of the spell can't be dipped below its original, you can mitigate the costs of your other feats this way.

For example, say you wrote your arcane thesis on enervation, a 4th.

You apply split ray, a +2. The slot's now a 6th. Arcane thesis lowers this by 1 to a 5th.

You apply invisible spell, a +0. Arcane thesis pulls this to a -1, so split, invisible enervation is now cast as a 4th.

It can't be lowered to a 3rd or below, but if you put more stuff on it, you can keep it hovering around 4.

There's a ton of stuff to reduce cost. Is there a specific effect you need?

top of my head, incantatrix gets a ton of free metamagic. metamagic rods exist. slaymates reduce necromancy metamagic by 1.

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-24, 11:30 AM
Their is the Metaphysical Spellshaper. Most people dont like the book it is in though.

JNAProductions
2017-04-24, 11:36 AM
Their is the Metaphysical Spellshaper. Most people dont like the book it is in though.

Swordsaged! I was about to mention that.

Bullet06320
2017-04-24, 02:34 PM

that's one of the weirdest places to find a class like that

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-24, 02:37 PM
that's one of the weirdest places to find a class like that

Indeed. It feels very out of place in that book.

MaxiDuRaritry
2017-04-24, 04:08 PM
Divine Metamagic does this. It works especially well with other forms of metamagic reduction, since those also save you on turning attempts, allowing you to use it more times every day.