PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Multi-clas role play

ZorroGames
2017-04-24, 12:06 PM
As a person who always preferred playing heroic over super heroic characters in Supers games, etc., I find that the "nothing higher than than 13" characters from way back in OD&D have appeal to me, especially as I read 5th Edition.

As I read the multiclassing rules I see opportunity for such characters.

So, feel free to point me to other threads (still mastering the search function on site) but let me raise some questions/make some comments.

From OD&D I have always been drawn Dwarf and human fighters for the sheer simplicity, Good Clerics for the fun of role play, Monks until death by D4 for hp b came a life style, and certain multiclassing characters.

Elvish Mage/Thief, Gnome Fighter/Illusionist, And Dwarf Fighter/Thief when they were available sounded fun.

So now we are at 5th Edition and I see the Multiclassing requirements/rules.

Leaving out power character or min/max mode I find I am attracted to the following classes in their pure class descriptions:

Barbarian ("B")
Cleric ("B+")
Druid ("C")
Fighter ("B+)
Monk ("A")
Ranger ("A-")
Wizard ("B+")
Warlock ("C")

Willing to play but not attracted:
Bard ("D+")
Paladin ("D")
Rogue ("C-")
Sorcerer (TBD)

So mostly I see linkage via Dexterity and/or Wisdom for most of my higher rated classes with BRbarian and Wizard as the outliers shall we say?

So...

Looking at Cleric, perhaps Druid, Fighter, Monk, and Ranger - which duos might be the most advantageous for a group?

And which might be the hardest (not something that bothers me) duo multiclassing to play?

Assume 13s (before racial bumps) in all relevant ability scores with 12s in remaining ability scores for the classes to start though the 13 ST, 12 IN, 13 WI, 13 DE, 12 CO, 12 CH with High Elf bumps in DE and IN does immediately catch my attention.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

ZorroGames
2017-04-25, 11:15 AM
No other threads? Okay, I am still learning the search function here...

LOL.

Not upset, just bemused in how poorly stated my original post must have been.

clash
2017-04-25, 12:27 PM
It really depends on what you want to play. It sounds like you are looking to do 50/50 split. Of those choice and with those stats:

Monk doesnt work well as there ac will be pretty abyssal unarmored. Also monk really like being mostly one class or they suffer from ki shortages.

If I am understanding your post correctly, you are looking to bump dex up to 15 via race.
The rest have access to medium armor which works well with that dex.

For attacking you will want to start with a martial as your dex is higher then your wisdom. If your allowed revised ranger, it could work fairly well with those stats. Fighter is another good one. If you go this route you should get extra attack before multiclassing then you can mc ranger and druid/cleric for more spellcasting or mc ranger and fighter or fighter and cleric. Those combinations work generally well.

Alternatively if you want to start caster, start with cleric and focus mostly on buffing and healing spells until you can shore up your wisdom. Then you could mc with fighter or ranger to add martial prowess.

Armored Walrus
2017-04-25, 12:31 PM
I clicked the thread assuming from the title that we were discussing how to roleplay a multi class character.

If you want advice on how to build a multiclass character, there is a multi class how-to thread already floating around on the first page of this forum.

Edit: It is literally titled as a multclass guide.... Here you go. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide)

ZorroGames
2017-04-25, 02:32 PM
I clicked the thread assuming from the title that we were discussing how to roleplay a multi class character.

If you want advice on how to build a multiclass character, there is a multi class how-to thread already floating around on the first page of this forum.

Edit: It is literally titled as a multclass guide.... Here you go. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide)

Book marked. Thank you for pointing it out.