PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to have a single 4th lvl spell at will?

WhiteBread
2017-04-24, 12:19 PM
My question is related to the spell "Blood of the Martyr" or the similar ability "Empathic Transfer". I would like to play a masochistic crusader that is able to absorb dmg from allies in order to heal them. Currently i have extra feats thanks to our generous dm buffing t3 and below classes. Is there a way to get one of these abilities for free and at will? (aka warlock invocation like)

-limitation: please use only feats, acfs and flaws. I already multiclass into shapeshifter(dip) and warshaper (hengeyokai)

If not, is there a cure minor wounds or similar that can be made permanent and at will?
I only need a single spell/ability/feat like this. Assume maximum feats+4flaw feats-human(feat)
Would be great if someone could give me some hints.

Venger
2017-04-24, 12:25 PM
My question is related to the spell "Blood of the Martyr" or the similar ability "Empathic Transfer". I would like to play a masochistic crusader that is able to absorb dmg from allies in order to heal them. Currently i have extra feats thanks to our generous dm buffing t3 and below classes. Is there a way to get one of these abilities for free and at will? (aka warlock invocation like)

-limitation: please use only feats, acfs and flaws. I already multiclass into shapeshifter(dip) and warshaper (hengeyokai)

If not, is there a cure minor wounds or similar that can be made permanent and at will?
I only need a single spell/ability/feat like this. Assume maximum feats+4flaw feats-human(feat)
Would be great if someone could give me some hints.

For those, no.

If your goal is just to become immune to hit point damage, that's far simpler and will allow you to do what you need. My favorite way is contriving an immunity to nonlethal damage somehow and then go into the shriver (in your case you'll need to polymorph into a humanoid or monstrous humanoid first)

since your game sounds rules lite and high powered, ask about troll-blooded.

WhiteBread
2017-04-24, 01:10 PM
For those, no.

If your goal is just to become immune to hit point damage, that's far simpler and will allow you to do what you need. My favorite way is contriving an immunity to nonlethal damage somehow and then go into the shriver (in your case you'll need to polymorph into a humanoid or monstrous humanoid first)

since your game sounds rules lite and high powered, ask about troll-blooded.

Our game is not that high powered actually as nobody really optimizes. We have no dedicated healer and our WBL sucks too much to get enough potions wands for the long encounters we have. Regeneration doesn´t heal lethal dmg from fire(which is quite common in our campaigns) and that would only help me. I wanted to waste some feats to get a small out of combat heal like Dread Necromancer can do with his Touch attack and Tomb Tainted Soul feat.

Venger
2017-04-24, 01:15 PM
Our game is not that high powered actually as nobody really optimizes. We have no dedicated healer and our WBL sucks too much to get enough potions wands for the long encounters we have. Regeneration doesn´t heal lethal dmg from fire(which is quite common in our campaigns) and that would only help me. I wanted to waste some feats to get a small out of combat heal like Dread Necromancer can do with his Touch attack and Tomb Tainted Soul feat.

ok. in that case, standard lesser vigor wands are fine. no need to alter your build. can anyone in your party use them?

WhiteBread
2017-04-24, 01:40 PM
ok. in that case, standard lesser vigor wands are fine. no need to alter your build. can anyone in your party use them?

Our bard is the best thing at magic we have. Problem here is still that these wands have limited uses and we lack wealth and city time. We sometimes dwell for several season inside a dungeon/questarea. Too bad you can't take the dragon shaman vigor aura via feat.

Venger
2017-04-24, 02:35 PM
dukar hand coral is relatively cheap, but I sympathize at being jammed in a no money game.

gooddragon1
2017-04-24, 04:50 PM
1 level dip in dragon shaman for aura of vigor. Fast healing 1 up to half maximum hp. Alternatively, the touch of healing reserve feat. Heal 3x the level of your highest remaining heal type spell up to half health with a touch.

Deadline
2017-04-24, 05:07 PM
Here's are the things I know of off the top of my head:

Taking other's damage:

There are two bodyguard style feats in Drow of the Underdark that may be of interest to you (one makes your chosen ally harder to hit while you are within 10 feet, and the other lets you swap places with them to take the blow).
Shield Other lets you take half of your target's damage. I think Rings of Friend Shielding provide this ability constantly.
There may be a psionic power that lets you heal an ally by taking on their damage.

Healing:

The Touch of Healing reserve feat from Complete Champion. Requires you to have the ability to cast 2nd level spells, and have at least one level 1 conjuration(healing) spell available to cast.
Cheap healing items: Wands of lesser Vigor/Cure Light Wounds, Healing Belts (MiC)
There's a draconic aura that will do it. You can dip Marshal (or be dragon-blooded [race or feat - Dragontouched]) and get the aura with a feat.

Otherwise ... not much.

Eldaran
2017-04-24, 05:10 PM
If you want to transfer wounds from allies, you could take Shape Soulmeld for Lifebond Vestments. Unfortunately it can only be done once per target per hour without the Heart Chakra bind, which you can't get via a feat.

Gildedragon
2017-04-24, 05:38 PM
The Healing loresong spell boosts your healing capacity

ben-zayb
2017-04-24, 05:59 PM
You can pick up Martial Study and then Martial Stance, selecting any Devoted Spirit maneuver followed by Martial Spirit (or just Martial Study selecting Martial Spirit, if that's allowed). You can heal yourself or an ally for 2 HP with each successful melee attack, so hitting yourself can technically heal them. Of course, I'd rather hit someone or something else.

EDIT:

Too bad you can't take the dragon shaman vigor aura via feat.You actually can, via the Draconic Aura DrM16 feat.

Eldaran
2017-04-24, 09:05 PM
You can pick up Martial Study and then Martial Stance, selecting any Devoted Spirit maneuver followed by Martial Spirit (or just Martial Study selecting Martial Spirit, if that's allowed). You can heal yourself or an ally for 2 HP with each successful melee attack, so hitting yourself can technically heal them. Of course, I'd rather hit someone or something else.

EDIT:
You actually can, via the Draconic Aura DrM16 feat.

They already said their character is a Crusader, why are you suggesting Martial Stance? As for Draconic Aura, you can't select the Dragon Shaman auras without being a Dragon Shaman, you can only get the ones in Dragon Magic.

ben-zayb
2017-04-24, 09:35 PM
They already said their character is a Crusader, why are you suggesting Martial Stance? As for Draconic Aura, you can't select the Dragon Shaman auras without being a Dragon Shaman, you can only get the ones in Dragon Magic.It wasn't so clear whether it was a "Crusader", as in the ToB class, or a regular "crusader", which could be anything. Iron Guard's Glare is the better devoted spirit stance, so I won't be surprised if most Crusader choose it over Martial Spirit; hence, the need to get Martial Stance to get the latter.

Hmm... I thought the Draconic Aura section in DrM only expanded on the list, but apparently it didn't include Vigor. Apparently not. :smallsigh:

Crake
2017-04-24, 09:58 PM
If you have a bard in the party and you need healing, buy the bard a dove's harp. It adds an additional effect every time your bard uses a bardic music, fast healing 3 for 1 minute to all allies within 30ft. That's ontop of the regular effect of his bardic music. Considering how many bardic musics the bard should have at that point, you should easily be able to heal yourselves up to full after most combats each day without worry. It's not quite infinite healing, but at like, level 7ish (since you're talking about 4th level spells) that's 210hp for each person in the party per day from that.

WhiteBread
2017-04-25, 01:25 PM
First thanks for all the suggestions. So far the shielding others and staying in their place works best with me. I can't dip anymore than I already have due to multiclass homebrew rules and I sadly lack any kind of spells to qualify for healing touch.

If you have a bard in the party and you need healing, buy the bard a dove's harp. It adds an additional effect every time your bard uses a bardic music, fast healing 3 for 1 minute to all allies within 30ft. That's ontop of the regular effect of his bardic music. Considering how many bardic musics the bard should have at that point, you should easily be able to heal yourselves up to full after most combats each day without worry. It's not quite infinite healing, but at like, level 7ish (since you're talking about 4th level spells) that's 210hp for each person in the party per day from that.

This might actually work. Never heard of it, thanks a lot! But the price is quite heavy..

Deadline
2017-04-25, 04:29 PM
First thanks for all the suggestions. So far the shielding others and staying in their place works best with me. I can't dip anymore than I already have due to multiclass homebrew rules and I sadly lack any kind of spells to qualify for healing touch.

The feats are called Constant Guardian and Devoted Guardian, IIRC. There's also an old 3.0 prestige class in Sword and Fist called Devoted Defender that might have some goodies, but I'm pretty sure the best stuff of the Prestige class is covered by the two feats I mentioned. Added to Crusader stances like Iron Guard's Glare and the Shield Block maneuver, you should be pretty well set.