PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a Motorcycle

StickMan
2007-07-30, 09:18 PM
So I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle. I'll be honest its mostly to do with the price of gas, which does seem like a better reason to get one then man they are so cool!!! Which of course they are I will not deny that I think Motorcycles have a cool factor. Back on track.

Does anyone have any advice when it come to motorcycles or buying a used motorcycle, as odd are that is what I'll be looking for? Also what kind of bike has the best gas millage?

Amotis
2007-07-30, 10:25 PM
Look into your local motorcycle "club" or whatever. Or even check if your local colleges have classes that teach riding (or I know the Motorcycle Safety Foundation has some). This accomplishes two things. A) Learning how to ride and B) entering a community of people who know their stuff, can help you find a good used bike, learn what would be best for you. Or even, start out with a euro, dual, or a dirt bike. Easy ways to learn.

The default answer is, of course, not too much power. Kawasaki Ninja 250 and EX 500 have always been what I've been preached as one of the best learning bikes. What you need to be thinking about when getting a bike is seat height, weight, and power. 250-650cc for a starter.

Another default answer, whatever you get you'll want a more powerful one in a couple of months anyway. :smalltongue:

I might be missing somethings but I know there's more then a couple bikers on here so they should be able to chime in as well.

Samiam303
2007-07-30, 10:26 PM
Also what kind of bike has the best gas millage?

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/images/lightbike/bike.jpg

:tongue:

Amotis
2007-07-30, 10:29 PM
Oh right, forgot that question. The 250cc bikes will.

StickMan
2007-07-30, 10:34 PM
samiam303 I love you so much for that and I do own one, not that nice but what you going to do. As my college is about 30 miles from my house that might be impractical.

Midnight Son
2007-07-30, 11:02 PM
Well, I'm a bit partial to Yamaha, but any Non-US made bike is going to have some good mileage(even the Harleys can be good these days, but I don't see spending the extra $5K for the sound and the name). I would suggest that you stay away from the crotch-rockets. Get a cruiser. Not only are they cooler, but you get better mileage and they require less maintenance. Just remember that, no matter what you get, it is still a performance vehicle(unless you get a Vespa). you will want to use premium gasoline. I have an 1100cc bike with a 4 and a half gallon tank. I spend about $12 to fill it and it gets me around 160 miles on a tank. If you stick with the smaller engines, you'll get much better mileage, but what Amotis said is correct. Whatever you get, you'll quickly want a bigger one. I started out on my 1100 and I want a 2000.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-30, 11:12 PM
Holy crap I completely spaced the name...but my friend just recently got a motorcycle that I'm in love with. It's small, good for a beginner, and small enough so that if you lay it on it's side you can pick it back up without help.
I want to say the Rebel?
Anyway I suggest sitting on anything that you're thinking of getting. It may look pretty, but you have to be sure a motorcycle is going to fit your body type.

Nomrom
2007-07-30, 11:14 PM
Well, I don't personally have a motorcycle, two of the guys at work have Harleys, and I know they both love them. That's about all I've got, sorry I'm not much help.

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-31, 01:35 AM
My daughter has a Honda Rebel 250. As a starter bike she LOVES it. Depending on your size, it might not be right for you but it gives you an idea of what I'd recommend. She gets ~70 mpg and that little thing will haul my 190lb rump up to 70mph easily enough so you can still freeway if you need to. For trips like what you're describing, though, it's probably a good starting point.

To further what Midnight Son said about cruisers, you'll also be more comfortable on one because you actually get to sit on the bike instead of constantly leaning over the gas tank in a pseudo-pushup position. And WOW is the insurance cheaper on a cruiser than sport bike. Harley has a sub brand of smaller bikes that would be great for what you want (Buell) but since they're technically sport bikes, it was going to cost me 3-5 times as much to insure a 500 than it does my 883.

And definitely sign up for the first MSF course you can get into. It may cost a bit depending on several factors but the course is very good for a new rider.

[shameless plug]And finally, if you do get one, I invite you to check out the Hog Goblins link in my sig and brag about what you decided to get. [/shameless plug] :smallcool:

sapphail
2007-08-01, 04:20 AM
I second the 'stay away from crotch rockets' assertion. You're probably better off with a 250-400cc to begin with, and you probably don't need a ridiculous amount of power unless you're regularly going down major roads/highways. The Honda CBR series are a good start, as are the KZRs by Kawasaki.

Just lookout for licensing laws as well - I don't know about the US, but here a learner isn't allowed to ride anything more powerful than a 250. Don't get something you won't be allowed to use! :smalltongue:

Archonic Energy
2007-08-01, 04:50 AM
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/images/lightbike/bike.jpg

:tongue:

wouldn't this be better?

http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/files/glenonbike.jpg

Charity
2007-08-01, 05:33 AM
I see you and raise you (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vyOwvEKms8)

Archonic Energy
2007-08-01, 06:33 AM

i fold. :smallfrown:

Jack Squat
2007-08-01, 08:30 AM
I would definetly look at getting a smaller, lighter bike. I'm in the process of learning (I'm pretty good in a parking lot, not that that means too much) on my mom's Harley Sportster 1200 Custom. It weighs in at about 700 lbs, so it's not an easy bike to pick up when I tipped it (both times when powerwalking turns, if anyone cares).

I really need to get around to taking one of those classes Amotis mentioned (there's one down at a local community college here). If it's the same where you live, taking the course exempts you from having to take the written portion of your test.

mudbunny
2007-08-01, 08:58 AM
I would third (or is it fourth by now??) the recommendation of a cruiser over a racing bike.

Much better for your back, much better for insurance as well.

Mithhuan
2007-08-01, 09:26 AM
Before deciding on what you want, I suggest you go look at bikes. Go to different dealerships and look at what they've got. Don't be afraid to sit on them , find a bike that is comfortable. Small bikes are nice to start but if your tall it won't be comfortable especially on longer trips. Also, as suggested earlier take the MSF basic rider course http://www.msf-usa.org/
they provide the motorcycles and helmets, which may help you make your decision about what motorcycle to buy. Other than that good luck and maybe I'll see you on the road somewhere.

Zeb The Troll
2007-08-01, 09:44 AM
I would definetly look at getting a smaller, lighter bike. I'm in the process of learning (I'm pretty good in a parking lot, not that that means too much) on my mom's Harley Sportster 1200 Custom. It weighs in at about 700 lbs, so it's not an easy bike to pick up when I tipped it (both times when powerwalking turns, if anyone cares).

I really need to get around to taking one of those classes Amotis mentioned (there's one down at a local community college here). If it's the same where you live, taking the course exempts you from having to take the written portion of your test.I would think that would be a tough bike to learn on. (That's basically what I have but with a slightly larger engine.) Look into local regulations where you live. Here in Maryland, the MSF course includes the written test AND a fully proctored riding test. You walk away with a certificate that you just have to take to the MVA and have them put the M certification on your license.

Santanya
2007-08-01, 09:52 AM
I'll echo what alot of the people said above. The first thing to do, even before you start looking at motorcycles, is to take a Rider's Safety Course. It'll teach you how to ride the motorcycle, even if you already know how, will give you an extra little break on insurance, and will get you past the road and written test for your license (this may vary from state to state I admit).

Sticking to lower engine size will help on insurance, and going with more of a cruiser than a sport bike will do the same. When I got my first bike, I got a Kawasaki W650:
http://www.coyotecode.com/images/bike3.JPG

Its plenty powerful (carried me up to 80 without problem on the interstate), and is easy to ride. I admit they may be harder to find beings Kawasaki only made them in 2000-2002, but they're worth it. You'll also get people asking how you have a 72 Triumph Bonniville in that good of shape all the time. It gets about 40-45 mpg for me.

Yes, the call of a more powerful bike will get to you eventually. I upgraded to a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic just 2 months ago. Its just as awesome! Plenty of power, very comfortable, and gets about 50mpg in my experience so far.
http://www.coyotecode.net/images/bike/daybike2.jpg

Whatever you get, remember to ride safe and keep the shiny side up! Take your time and get to know the bike before you ride out into that big beautiful world!

Zeb The Troll
2007-08-01, 09:59 AM
((Seeing all these newly announced posters who ride, I just want to take a(nother) moment to invite you all to visit the Hog Goblins (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44654) thread which was started as a place for playgrounders who ride (or want to) to talk shop. Thank you.))

bosssmiley
2007-08-01, 12:00 PM
You know what doctors call bikers, don't you?
Organ donors. :smallannoyed:

1% of road users by number, 20% of road fatalities.
Your choice. And expect to be pwned by the insurance companies.

Giant. :smallconfused:
Flying. :smallamused:
Rocket-powered. :smallsmile:
Egg. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

There is nothing about that clip I do not like.

Cyrano
2007-08-01, 12:13 PM
Giant. :smallconfused:
Flying. :smallamused:
Rocket-powered. :smallsmile:
Egg. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

There is nothing about that clip I do not like.

Not even the badly-placed friction burn?

Yeah, I know that science says that wouldn't happen. But hey, anything for a disturbing mental image.

Zeb The Troll
2007-08-01, 04:06 PM
Your choice. And expect to be pwned by the insurance companiesNot true. My car insurance is far more than what my motorcycle insurance is.

For a 2005 VW Golf GLS TDI - $926 for 6 months

For a 2006 Harley Sportster 883 Custom
AND a 2006 Honda Rebel 250 - $1024 for 12 months

Hell Puppi
2007-08-01, 11:30 PM
Same with my state. Even full coverage motorcycle insurance is generally cheaper than liability on cars.

Zeful
2007-08-01, 11:48 PM
I'm going to advocate getting licesened on a bigger bike, because in MN, at least, once you get to a certain size all the other bikes are free reign.

Also get a goldwing.

Zeb The Troll
2007-08-01, 11:56 PM
I'm going to advocate getting licesened on a bigger bike, because in MN, at least, once you get to a certain size all the other bikes are free reign.

Also get a goldwing.Odd. Here a bike license is across the board. It's the same for a 250 as it is for a 2200.

And while the GoldWing is a nice bike, I think it's not a good starter bike. It's just too big, and I don't just mean engine size. It's a whole lotta bike to handle when you're first starting out.

Zeful
2007-08-02, 12:07 AM
Yes well MN is an odd state. We elected a professional wrestiler for govener.

Hallavast
2007-08-02, 01:36 AM
Wear a helmet! This guy rear-ended me on a motorcycle last month and he's still in critical condition. BUT, it could have been avoided if he'd worn a helmet.

Santanya
2007-08-02, 03:38 PM
That there is the absolute best advice, no if's, and's or but's. Putting a helmet on should be as natural as sitting on the bike, if not more so. :) We're a mental bunch around here (well, most of us), and breaking your brain is a big no-no.

I was told by the dealer when I bought my new bike: "There are two types of riders, those who have had accidents and those who will." It doesn't have to be serious for you to get hurt.

Not trying to scare you off bikes at all. Just trying to encourage safety and smart riding. Personally, I hope I'm never in a serious accident, and hope that for everyone who rides. That said... I laid the W650 over on the test ride, you think that counts?:smallconfused:

RAGE KING!
2007-08-02, 06:29 PM
Get a flying one like Hagrid's. If you pull that off who cares what the milage is? (probably like, 15 liters to the meter though.)

Sisqui
2007-08-02, 07:32 PM
You know what doctors call bikers, don't you?
Organ donors. :smallannoyed:

1% of road users by number, 20% of road fatalities.
Your choice. And expect to be pwned by the insurance companies.

Don't know about doctors over there, but in EMS over here we call them:
Donorcycles :smallyuk:

Ride at your own risk. Reduce the risk- dress for the slide, not the ride. Wear a helmet. And other such preachy safetyisms.:smallbiggrin:

LCR
2007-08-03, 11:37 AM
Join this one:
Motorcycle Club. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=JlJvhQHR5sg)

And get a vintage Triumph motorcycle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Motorcycles).

Kitya
2007-08-03, 05:11 PM
We got a Yamaha VStar 650 for our starter bike. Very nice, light enough that I could man handle it myself, altho at the time I hadn't gotten the whole clutch thing figured out, and I wasn't very good at it. I'd be better now, but we don't have that bike anymore. Sold it to our neighbour. *laffs* It's an awesome bike, and very manoverable. Hubby still misses it for all the curves on our road. We upgraded to a Valkyrie Interstate model. Basically the same as a Goldwing, but still LOOKS like a bike with the gas cylinder and everything... oh.. it doesn't have reverse... which isn't a big deal except when you're trying to back up on an incline. *laffs*

I agree with everyone else, NO crotchrockets.. durn things should be outlawed. Cruisers are the only way to go, and getting a smaller one for a starter bike is a really good idea. Only thing I would want to add is, some loan companies will only allow a loan for a NEW bike... that's how ours was, so that's something you may want to be aware of if you're looking at getting a loan to buy the bike.

The fun thing about bikes is that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to add things to it. We just got a new windshield, and we're looking at getting new floorboards instead of the pegs we've got now, AND getting an ergonomic seat WITH a back for Hubby, since ours didn't come with that, and I've noticed that the new big cruisers have that now.

Enjoy!!

Extra_Crispy
2007-08-04, 12:45 AM
I got really lucky, a good friend of mine gave me a Honda Shadow 600. It is older (1992) and is now acting up (think the carbs need some work). Pretty good bike to learn on as it was big enough to have some kick but small enough so that I can handle it easily. Just echoing what eveyone else said but to add a little more to what people said about your size. It depends on how big you are. In my case the 600 is OK (only ok) for intown driving. Most the time on the way to my parents house (30+ miles) by the freeway, I have to have the thottle wide open just to maintain the 75 mph speed limit. But I am 6'4" and 260 lbs, and the bike is only a 4 speed. That said if you get a bike make sure it is a 5 speed, and I prefer a shaft drive. No replacing the chain or lubing it. I heard belt drive is very good also but you still have to replace the belt once in a while.

As a starter bike I would not go above 700cc. Depending on where you live this will also let the insurance be less. In Arizona, where I am, anything under 700cc is alot cheaper for insurance. I think my insurance jumped by about $30 a month when I added it.

Lastly, like everyone else said, wear a helmet whenever you are on the bike. Even if it is to go less than a mile. I have seen a guy that was just going to the small store that was about a mile away, he was hit by a car comming from a side street. Though he was not killed, he was severly hurt and brain damage was involved as he had no helmet. I would also recommend getting a good jacket, leather or armored. And wearing that all the time. When I first started I dumped my bike going slow (loose gravel on a 90 degree corner sucks!), hit some soft dirt and ended up stopping very fast. This sent me over the handle bars a little and onto my side. No jacket caused me to have a torn shirt and a nice sized piece of road rash on my side. I was wearing my helmet, which was good as I also hit a small rock as I found the nice mark on my helmet.

I have a web site that has pretty inexpensive protective gear if you want it. My helmet cost me under $100 and my cortex jacket with armor and a zip out warming lining, air vents, and reflective areas to the back was under $140

0wca
2007-08-05, 05:52 PM
http://www.mikeodom.name/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/seniors_bike.jpg

:smalltongue: