PDA

View Full Version : E6 E6 3.5 Fighter Build

AnimeTheCat
2017-04-24, 02:10 PM
Building a fighter for an E6 game of 3.5. What I want to do is have a halberd wielding fighter. I know that the Guisarme is superior due to reach for a trip build, but I want the double damage after setting vs a charge. DM is letting me use Intimidate to force enemies to attack me as a means to pull "agro". The build is SRD only so I'm limited in the feats I can take. Please don't suggest I beg my DM to allow outside of it, he already said no.

Human/Fighter 6

Attributes (32 PB)
Str - 16
Dex - 14
Con - 15
Int - 14
Wis - 10
Cha - 8

1. Combat Expertise/Improved Trip/Power Attack
2. Knock-Down
3. Stand Still
4. Combat Reflexes/+1 Constitution
6. Hold the Line/Improved Disarm

The idea is to be able to trip an opponent and then, because of the +1 to attack from higher ground, sacrifice my BAB on a power attack at level 1, at level 2 use power attack to try to cross the 10 damage threshold for knock-down to get an extra attack each round after tripping (hopefully getting the wizard to cast enlarge person on me), then at level 3, continue to threaten the opponents and power attack them to prevent them from getting up (again with the +1 to attack for high ground), level prep for hold the line, then at level 6 I can use intimidate as a standard action to cause one enemy to charge me, free action prepare for the charge, deal double damage on the attack of opportunity vs the charge, trip, power attack the prone enemy. Is this a decent build to accomplish this goal or should I take feats in a different order, etc.

Naez
2017-04-24, 03:14 PM
First I'd suggest having an odd ability score so the +1 at 4 actually does something useful and you start with a better spread.

I'd say
Str 16
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 8

then at 4 +1 Con. this way you get an additional attack with combat reflexes, better initiative, better reflex save, and potentially better AC depending on your armor and all it cost you is a lower fort save for 3 levels. because 17 str vs 16 str all it gets you is a higher carry capacity.

ComaVision
2017-04-24, 03:17 PM
1. You don't get the +1 for high ground if your opponent is prone. High ground is something like you're fighting on a hill and you're higher up. However, even better, you get a +4 on melee attacks against prone targets.

2. The AOO that is provoked getting up from prone can't be used to trip them again. They're still prone when they provoke, and they get up after you resolve the attack.

3. Readying against a charge isn't a free action. It's a standard action, and moves your attack until the criteria is met (you get charged). It's not an AOO you're getting, it's a normal attack (which means they could also provoke an AOO). So, if DM houserules your special Intimidate to a Standard action that isn't very helpful to you. Maybe you could get him to let you do it as a move action instead.

4. You can't attack at your normal attack bonus for your "readied against a charge" and then Power Attack once the opponent is prone. You make your Power Attack decision for the whole round. That is, if you want to have a Power Attack of 4 when they're prone, you have to use that same amount for the "readied against a charge"

Asides from those rules mistakes, the build looks fine and is probably close to the best you can do in E6. The only thing I'd change is maybe fitting in a level of Barbarian so you can Rage and get your trip check up a little higher. If getting magic items outside the SRD is at all possible, the Steadfast Boots from MIC would let your attacks count as readied against a charge all the time.

ATHATH
2017-04-24, 03:30 PM
Question: Why are you a Fighter, a class whose main class feature is getting free feats, in an E6 game, where you get loads of feats?

AnimeTheCat
2017-04-24, 04:42 PM
Question: Why are you a Fighter, a class whose main class feature is getting free feats, in an E6 game, where you get loads of feats?

Ah, I didn't mention that. The DM doesn't do XP and feats are going to be awarded randomly. I want to ensure I have the feats to do my build regardless of whether I get bonus feats or not. Also, the DM has restricted the feats granted to primarily skill, save, and other similar enhancements. Feats that grant new combat abilities are not allowed, including metamagic feats and the like.

1. You don't get the +1 for high ground if your opponent is prone. High ground is something like you're fighting on a hill and you're higher up. However, even better, you get a +4 on melee attacks against prone targets.

2. The AOO that is provoked getting up from prone can't be used to trip them again. They're still prone when they provoke, and they get up after you resolve the attack.

3. Readying against a charge isn't a free action. It's a standard action, and moves your attack until the criteria is met (you get charged). It's not an AOO you're getting, it's a normal attack (which means they could also provoke an AOO). So, if DM houserules your special Intimidate to a Standard action that isn't very helpful to you. Maybe you could get him to let you do it as a move action instead.

4. You can't attack at your normal attack bonus for your "readied against a charge" and then Power Attack once the opponent is prone. You make your Power Attack decision for the whole round. That is, if you want to have a Power Attack of 4 when they're prone, you have to use that same amount for the "readied against a charge"

Asides from those rules mistakes, the build looks fine and is probably close to the best you can do in E6. The only thing I'd change is maybe fitting in a level of Barbarian so you can Rage and get your trip check up a little higher. If getting magic items outside the SRD is at all possible, the Steadfast Boots from MIC would let your attacks count as readied against a charge all the time.

1. I guess this group has been playing with that as a houserule this whole time then. We determined that since you're standing immediately over them, the target will be easier to hit granting a +1 on your attack role, in addition to their -4 penalty to AC from being prone (except against ranged attacks).

2. I wasn't meaning that I would trip them again, preventing them from standing up, I meant that I would be using stand still to prevent them from using their move action and thus keeping them prone.

3. That... is a really good point... I'll talk to him about making it a move action. and good point about the readied attack not being an attack of opportunity and still getting the AoO.

4. right you are... I feel... like I got hit with a ray of stupidity... :smallbiggrin:

First I'd suggest having an odd ability score so the +1 at 4 actually does something useful and you start with a better spread.

I'd say
Str 16
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 8

then at 4 +1 Con. this way you get an additional attack with combat reflexes, better initiative, better reflex save, and potentially better AC depending on your armor and all it cost you is a lower fort save for 3 levels. because 17 str vs 16 str all it gets you is a higher carry capacity.

That's actually a really good idea... It's only 1 HP per level too so if that's the decider in a fight that would be lame but hopefully the +1 AC will help prevent that from happening. Good call. I'll adjust the OP.