PDA

View Full Version : Greater Dispel Magic vs Guards and Wards

Scottlang
2017-04-24, 03:33 PM
Ok, this is something that I'm struggling with, I have a covern of hags (2 are actual hags the 3rd is a changeling) and they have guarded their tower with the spell guards and wards, and the paladin with his holy avenger dispels magic, would effect the fog effect, in the area, and the arcane locks and the silent images to hide the doors, and for the stinking cloud set up in certain area... (yes I know it's only the 2)... Which are guarded by Duppy's... The idea is to set up a scary, hair raising scene, with ghosts and Duppy's coming through the mist, and banshees (who wouldn't suffer the miss penalty percentage to miss).

The question is, would he be able to dispel those parts of the spell if the DC is 28?? Or would it just affect the locks??

Venger
2017-04-24, 03:38 PM
A dispel magic cast on a specific effect, if successful, removes only that effect.
(emphasis mine)

each effect must be targeted separately.

Scottlang
2017-04-24, 03:48 PM
But the sword reads as follows

"When wielded by a paladin, this sacred weapon provides spell resistance of 5 + the paladin's class level to the wielder and anyone adjacent to her. It also enables the paladin to use greater dispel magic (once per round as a standard action) at the class level of the paladin. Only the area dispel is possible, not the targeted dispel or counterspell versions of greater dispel magic."

Would he then need to target the spell itself, or would the area burst work on it??

Venger
2017-04-24, 05:15 PM
But the sword reads as follows

"When wielded by a paladin, this sacred weapon provides spell resistance of 5 + the paladin's class level to the wielder and anyone adjacent to her. It also enables the paladin to use greater dispel magic (once per round as a standard action) at the class level of the paladin. Only the area dispel is possible, not the targeted dispel or counterspell versions of greater dispel magic."

Would he then need to target the spell itself, or would the area burst work on it??

Area burst works, you don't need to use the targeted effect.

Scottlang
2017-04-25, 12:48 AM
So in other words, the holy avenger greater dispel magic would work on the spell Guards and Wards then??
Even though the spell covers 34000 feet area, Ok, got you, so I'll rule just in that area then....

Venger
2017-04-25, 12:54 AM
So in other words, the holy avenger greater dispel magic would work on the spell Guards and Wards then??
Even though the spell covers 34000 feet area, Ok, got you, so I'll rule just in that area then....

yes. each effect from the guards and wards spell must be targeted separately, as specified in the spell text, but other than that it works fine.

Zanos
2017-04-25, 01:02 AM
yes. each effect from the guards and wards spell must be targeted separately, as specified in the spell text, but other than that it works fine.

It says dispel magic only dispels a single effect if cast on a single effect. Area dispel should still be able to catch multiple parts of guards and wards if they're close enough together.

Scottlang
2017-04-25, 01:07 AM
Thanks Venger, that was was the clearest... I found it confusing, as I haven't used dispel magic like this before... And as the spell has multiple effects, and cast by a 17th level witch, so the DC is 28 (DC 15 + level of witch 17) to dispel, so a flat 28 would dispel the arca locks, the fog, confusion lost doors & stinking cloud in a 20ft burst, correct?? Even though the spell has an area affect of 3400 feet and lasts for 34hrs??

Venger
2017-04-25, 01:09 AM
It says dispel magic only dispels a single effect if cast on a single effect. Area dispel should still be able to catch multiple parts of guards and wards if they're close enough together.

I guess?

since the player's got dm at will, it doesn't really matter, it'll just save him a couple rolls.