PDA

View Full Version : ASF on equipment, need help

Warpix
2007-07-30, 09:44 PM
Hey, I'm starting up as a Gunmage in a DnD campain with a few friends, what armor is there that doesn't have any percent chance of arcane spell failure?

Thanks in advance!

Dhavaer
2007-07-30, 09:47 PM
+1 twilight mithral chain shirt, and anything lighter than that.

Gralamin
2007-07-30, 10:06 PM
Twilight can be found in the Magic Item Compendium, as well as in the PHB2 (Duskblade sidebar)
Fey-craft armor reduces ASF by 5%, as well as Githcraft, and Hellforged. All 3 are in the DMG2. I'm not sure if you can get two of these (Its impossible to get all three), but seeing as you could theoretically meet both requirements, you might be able to. (You would need to be a githyanki on the astral plane that is being controlled by a Fey)

If both can be applied, you can get a +1 twilight Feycrafted Githcrafted mithral Breastplate (With some Armor Check penalties I believe)

Warpix
2007-07-30, 10:07 PM
Thanks, guys, this should help me a bit

Gralamin
2007-07-30, 10:13 PM
Assuming you can get two templates, it would be optimum for it to be Hellforged and Feycraft. This would require a fey commanding a smith of the nine hells outside any town or large city.
This would allow a +1 twilight Feycrafted Hellforged mithral Breastplate (With no Armor Check penalty)

Kurobara
2007-07-31, 12:08 AM
Also, a mithral buckler is a decent investment unless you're wielding a weapon that hand as well. You can still use that hand for holding other items or doing somatic components, just not for a weapon if you still want the shield bonus.

Gralamin
2007-07-31, 12:11 AM
Also, a mithral buckler is a decent investment unless you're wielding a weapon that hand as well. You can still use that hand for holding other items or doing somatic components, just not for a weapon if you still want the shield bonus.

Or at higher levels, an animated shield is a good investment.

Attilargh
2007-07-31, 05:23 AM
Nabbing an reinforced greatcoat from the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide gives you a +1 to your armour, and gives a DR 3/bludgeoning or slashing. And yes, it can be worn over light armour and no, it has neither a chance of spell failure nor a check penalty. It's not that much, but looks cool and might save you from an angry goblin now and then. Cheap, too.

Call Me Siggy
2007-07-31, 08:12 AM
Assuming you can get two templates, it would be optimum for it to be Hellforged and Feycraft. This would require a fey commanding a smith of the nine hells outside any town or large city.
This would allow a +1 twilight Feycrafted Hellforged mithral Breastplate (With no Armor Check penalty)

You said Githcraft works as well, right?

So..I'd assume (Not actually having the DMG2) that the player would somehow convince a fey...to possess a fiendish githyanki....outside of a town...and then enchant it (Twilight)?

Best. Sidequest. Ever.

lord_khaine
2007-07-31, 09:08 AM
i also belive i once saw some alternative wizard feature that allowed casting in light armor, but i cant recall where it was.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-31, 09:54 AM
So..I'd assume (Not actually having the DMG2) that the player would somehow convince a fey...to possess a fiendish githyanki....outside of a town...and then enchant it (Twilight)?

Yes, but the town will be guarded by a vampiric half-dragon half-troll lycanthropic fiendish snail.

Oh, and

i also belive i once saw some alternative wizard feature that allowed casting in light armor, but i cant recall where it was.
Armored caster, which iirc is a feat somewhere. If not, take a level in beguiler or warmage, then go Ultimate Magus.

Kurobara
2007-07-31, 11:17 AM
Or at higher levels, an animated shield is a good investment.

That's true. Didin't even think about that one. Probably because for some odd reason, you still take ASF on them... but it's pretty easy to knock all but a tower shield down to 0%. Bucklers and light shields only have to be either mithral or twilight, I suggested mithral because it's cheaper because it doesn't end up being a +2 equivalent bonus. Heavy shields, both mithral and twilight or one of those and one of the zillion ways to knock off 5%