PDA

View Full Version : Highest amount of expertise?

Haydensan
2017-04-25, 11:34 AM
With all these new feats from UA, I was trying to work out what the highest amount of skills a character could be an expert in.

I got 13 going half elf, rogue for the first 10 levels and bard for the next 10.
That's 8 skills out the gate
2 with expertise
Then at level 4 take the racial feat everyone's friend (iirc the name) for another 2 expertise.
So that's 4
Then another 2 expertise at rogue 6. So that's 6.
Then spending the level 6 ASI on one skill feat that were already proficient in. So that's 7.
Then you guessed it, at rogue 10 spend another ASI on a skill feat that we already have. That's 8.
So a level 10 rogue can be proficient in 8 skills and an expert at them all.

Then bard 1. Gives us another skill. So in the format #ofexpertise/#ofskills we have 8/9.
Then up to bard 3 college of lore. That's 2 more expertise and 3 more skills. So 10/12
Then bard 4 for skill feat for our ASI.
11/12
Bard 8, here we take the skilled feat so we don't run out of skills to become an expert in.
So 11/15
Then bard 10 for that last expertise.

Bringing us to a grand total of 13/15. Now of course this would take a lot of planning what you took when and what you took with the skill feats for the added bonuses. But that's ridiculous

Mikal
2017-04-25, 11:53 AM
Now of course this would take a lot of planning what you took when and what you took with the skill feats for the added bonuses. But that's ridiculous

Makes sense though. You're literally spending most of your character advancement choices to gain that ability.

With those, you could instead
a) Become the peak of mortal prowess in any physical or mental ability, perhaps two or more of them!

b) Become supernaturally lucky, a master of several weapon styles, a master of elemental magic, etc. etc. depending on the feats you've taken.

Personally, I think becoming a true jack of all trades is a worthy 'c' option to either of the above.

If you focus on something nearly exclusively, and you make it to level 18/20 while keeping that focus... yeah. You should be rewarded for it.

Haydensan
2017-04-25, 11:57 AM
I think ridiculous was a poor choice of wording by myself, just found it funny how a character could be an expert in nearly everything.

But yes it's far from great, like you say you'll never be a true expert compared to say a rogue who took expertise in stealth and bumped Dex to 20

Mikal
2017-04-25, 12:02 PM
I think ridiculous was a poor choice of wording by myself, just found it funny how a character could be an expert in nearly everything.

But yes it's far from great, like you say you'll never be a true expert compared to say a rogue who took expertise in stealth and bumped Dex to 20

Ah, sorry. I'll edit my post to be less "nuh uh" about it, my fault for assuming you meant ridiculous as ludicrous and not just "wow that's a lot".

Fixer
2017-04-25, 12:04 PM
It is a great skillmonkey. In a campaign that is low on combat, it'd be really strong.

Even in combat, using grapple, sneak, and creative use of spellcasting your character would be an incredible support character.

GlenSmash!
2017-04-25, 03:31 PM
Hey you built MacGuyver!

Ruslan
2017-04-25, 03:40 PM
Bringing us to a grand total of 13/15. Now of course this would take a lot of planning what you took when and what you took with the skill feats for the added bonuses. But that's ridiculous
I can do 15/15 (15 proficient skills, Expertise in all 15)

VHuman Rogue 6 (Scout) / Bard 12 (Lore) / Cleric (Knowledge) 1 (20th level can be whatever)
2 skills from background
1 from VHuman
4 from Rogue class
2 from Scout
1 from MCing to Bard
3 from Lore Bard
2 from Knowledge Cleric
Total of 15 proficient skills
4 expertise from Rogue level 2, level 6
4 expertise from Bard level 3, level 10
2 expertise from Knowledge Cleric
That's 10 expertise
Now, you have also 5 feats (VHuman, Rogue 4, Bard 4, Bard 8, Bard 12).
Spend all 5 on the UA skill-feats, to become expert in 5 more skills.
Total expertise: 15 skills

Pichu
2017-04-25, 04:05 PM
This works (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21904822&postcount=22)

Vorpalchicken
2017-04-25, 06:08 PM
How about: (skill/expertise)
Variant human with Skilled feat (4/0)
A background (2/0)
Scout Rogue 12 (6/6) (also reliable talent)
Lore Bard 4 (4/2)
Knowledge Cleric 4 (2/2) (got any tool covered too)
Six ASIS for expertise (0/6)

Gives 18 skills, 16 with expertise and reliable talent

Edit: Has the added advantage of not having to put the thumbscrews to your DM, forcing him into allowing Lore Wizards or v2.0 Mystics

Also: Be aware the Lore Wizard's expertise are the same fields offered by the Knowledge Cleric so it's not helpful to take both.

Gosh darnit: Ok fine, replace Knowledge Cleric with Lore Wizard and two levels of Warlock (via invocation) to get 18/18 if you must.

Edit again: never mind... Lore Wizard steps on Scout too and you lose an ASI in the deal, so let's scrap the Lore Wizard idea