PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Korra Fate Core IC.

Tegu8788
2017-04-25, 12:39 PM
Avatar Korra has done a great deal to change the world. She defeated the Red Lotus. She opened the Spirit World to human travel, and created a brand new Spirit Portal in the heart of Republic City. A City she saved from attack by the Earth Empire, from attack by a Dark Avatar, from attack by Amon. She has brought Airbenders back to the world, and spirits roam freely.

She has also been missing for about 9 months.

And the world hasn't stopped changing since she disappeared.

Tegu8788
2017-05-08, 02:57 PM
Republic City - New City Hall - All

Brought together in the President's inner chamber, the tone is somber, and the room is not as well lit as it could be. President Raiko is sitting behind his desk, with four plush chairs set before him. "I want to thank the four of you for coming together and meeting with me today. As you know, times have been changing, the entire world, changing rapidly around us. Much of this has been caused, either by or because of, Avatar Korra. But since shortly after the opening of the Spirit Portal in the heart of this city, Avatar Korra has been missing. We have unsubstantiated reports that she entered the Spirit Portal along with the CEO of Future Industries. Since that day, the spirits have become more possessive, and access to that Spirit Portal has been restricted severely.

However, that does not mean that work no longer needs to be done. Each of you have demonstrated particularly useful and noteworthy skills. For these reasons, I have summoned you here today to act as a task force. To go to places of trouble, and to work for the good of all people, from all nations. There are still places that need the Avatar, and without her, I have turned to you four to serve in her stead, while we seek a way to determine the whereabouts of Avatar Korra, or if the White Lotus, spirits forbid, need to search out for a new Avatar."

Gaius
2017-05-17, 11:56 PM
As the president speaks, Qilaq finds himself getting excited. He's done his best to help ease spiritual tensions where he found them -- evidently well enough to be selected for something like this. And every word President Raiko says sounds like a repetition of the great hopes that brought him there from the North Pole: making this new world a better place.

When the waterbender's keen diplomatic senses detect Raiko has paused for a response, he dives in. "Yes!" And at once wishes he hadn't. 'Oh. Good. An apparent show of enthusiasm for the next link in the new Avatar cycle. To the president. Well done.' Qilaq clears his throat and tries to recover with more composure. "That is... yes, agreed. We all hope Avatar Korra is alive, well, and soon to return. But as you say, the world will not stand still. If my skills can help in any way to fill the void she has left, I will gladly put them to good use."

Space Lawyer
2017-05-19, 11:09 AM
Meng scratches absentmindedly at his beard with a calloused hand, oil and dirt caked under the fingernails. He had done his best to clean up for this meeting, but it was hard to get some stains out. "Not sure why you'd want me, but alright." He'd have to find out who had been talking; wasn't like anyone in his neighborhood to be giving out names to anyone who looked like they could be connected to authority, especially not at this height.

Sahe
2017-05-19, 12:21 PM
Had someone told Jian yesterday that she would be sitting in the president's office today she would have laughed. But now she was here, apparently chosen to for some Avatar stand-in task force. Where, the young man who had to be from one of the water tribes seemed obviously enthusiastic about the whole idea, Jian was more skeptical, even more so than Meng, whom she knew. She had a responsibility for her sisters and whatever this was going to be, it surely would end up being dangerous. They had already lost their parents, could she risk leaving Runa and Yaling behind if something happened to her? On the other hand, there surely was some money involved and working for the friggin' president hat to get them some protection, something she was in dire need of after the trouble she ran into.

Arms crossed, and slouching a bit in the chair, Jian fixated narrowed eyes on the man behind the large desk: "What's in it for us? I'm not playing surrogate Avatar for a pat on the back."

Tegu8788
2017-05-20, 09:57 AM

The President nods thankfully to Qilaq, before turning to Meng, fingers interlacing and he looks over the ruffled clothes the man is wearing. "You are both a Fire Bender, and an engineer of sorts. Your craftsmanship will be likely useful, as will your ability to stand your ground, should you four run into, challenges. And you bring, assets, to the table that people like Qilaq or myself simply don't."

Switching his glance to Jian, he smooths out a paper on his desk, diplomatically buying time. "You will be compensated for your time, of course. Our records show you have younger siblings in your care, yes? If you like, we can enroll them in one of Republic City's new fine schools, and offer you and them lodging in one of our reconstructed apartments. I can even assign a caretaker for them, should your missions take you away from the City for long.

Gaius
2017-05-27, 03:02 PM
Qilaq nods at Raiko's description of Meng's capabilities. "I'll vouch for that. I'd certainly be glad to have you handy if things turn dicey." He smiles a tad regretfully. "Which I guess we can assume they will, if the Avatar's historic exploits are any guide."

At Jian's questions, the waterbender is glad to hear pay discussed, now that he thinks about it; the appetite of the spirit Qilaq is hosting has... not been kind to his finances. The earthbender's relative cynicism and brusque approach don't do much to tamp down on his optimism, though, particularly with what he deems a reasonable answer from the president.

"Hmm. To help give a clearer picture, could you give some particular examples of the trouble spots you have in mind for us?"

Tegu8788
2017-05-27, 10:34 PM

Pulling a drawer in his desk open, President Raiko retrieves several folders, placing them on his desk. "Inside is some relevant information for you. There is a number of former Earth Empire Generals acting as Warlords, harassing both our city and attempts from the reforging Earth Kingdom. One such Warlord has been located near our border with the Earth Kingdom. If we were to send our Army after them, they would flee and escape, only to attack again. They have mobility and speed on their side. So instead, I'm going to send you. As a smaller group, you can sneak in, infiltrate the camp, and provide a distraction until our Military can arrive."

Sahe
2017-05-30, 06:36 PM
"Ok, I'm in then", Jian simply said when the president laid out his offer. Pay, shelter, a place in school and even a sitter. This was an opportunity she simply couldn't pass up and made her dismiss all the questions she had why exactly she of all people was chosen.

She listened to the further explanations of the President and nodded when he mentioned the Warlords that made traveling the Earth Kingdom problematic. She wondered if she had heard of any of these Earth Kingdom Generals before. Her grandfather had always told stories from his army days. Maybe the President knew about that and that was the reason why she was chosen. Either way she would have some insight as to how an Earth Kingdom army would fight, at least more than the others who had been gathered.

"So our first task is to bully some bullies? Sounds good to me."

Tegu8788
2017-05-31, 11:48 PM

"In five days, our forces and those of the Earth Kingdom are going to move on the camp at sunrise. What I need to you to do is to get in there, and cause a significant enough distraction that our forces aren't detected, and our airships aren't shot down again."

Space Lawyer
2017-06-01, 05:17 PM
Me getting is inclined to agree with Jian. He had spent a lot of years being hired muscle, then a few years after that ensuring bullies and thugs didn't have complete run of the neighborhood. He had kept things in check by being bigger, meaner, and tougher than anyone who wanted to turn the slums into their own little fiefdom. It seemed like he would be doing the same sort of thing this time, just for a different cause and on a bigger scale.

Not to mention, it seemed like he would really get to cut loose. Should be fun.

A nod and taciturn grunt is all the show of acceptance Meng makes, but the meaning is clear.

Gaius
2017-06-02, 12:18 AM
So used to thinking in mediation terms, Qilaq's eyes widen in surprise at the militant nature of their mission. 'I... suppose it would be best to remember that the Avatar we stand in for is Avatar Korra.' Seeing his comrades fully engaged helps him rally, as well. He takes a breath and nods. "A laudable cause and an important job. Certainly, the world could do with one fewer warlord about."

The waterbender thinks a moment, deciding not to give voice to the... slight mismatch he perceives between his skillset and the task at hand. 'Surely the president wouldn't pick dead weight for something this sensitive. I'm sure I can make myself useful. Just... likely not in seeking a diplomatic end. Likely...'

Qilaq picks up one of the folders and begins skimming. "Do we know of anything... distinctive about this warlord's operation? Anything we should know to keep on guard about?"

Tegu8788
2017-06-03, 04:57 PM
Outskirts of Republic City Territory - Early Morning - All

After a day of fast travel, the crew have reached the edge of Republic City Territory. Having used one of the few still functional train lines, they managed to bypass a large amount of land quick. The last day has been spent on foot, moving through the countryside on Ostrich Horses. Early in the third morning, you see a military base set between the rolling hills, tucked out of sight from almost every angle, but with a clear view of the sky.

Space Lawyer
2017-06-12, 07:29 AM
Meng surveys the camp's location - they were protected from the land, had good aerial coverage, and had clearly chosen the spot with care. "Good choice." he grumbles, as he looks about.

It was fairly clear that a frontal assault of any sort would be futile. Either the soldiers would simply rise up to crush the little group, or they would assume the attack was a precursor to a larger action and retreat. "Let's wait, cause some chaos, pin them down." Meng says, as way of explaining that he feels the best course of acton would be to wait until nightfall to infiltrate the camp, probe for weak spots, and cause subtle but effective disruptions. Vehicles could be sabotaged, food stores burned, rope lines severed. Rather than confront a unified and prepared force, Republic City would be able to find a miserable force of hungry, harried soldiers that hadn't slept or eaten properly for days.

Gaius
2017-06-14, 09:25 PM
Qilaq considers the suggestion and nods. "That sounds sensible. See a good spot to make camp until then? Or any preparations to make?"

He likewise takes a moment to survey the landscape. He may not have an eye for the tactical properties, but there are some signs the other two might not know to spot. After all, spirits sometimes leave subtle marks of passage or habitation -- or territorial claim. Dipping into his wealth of knowledge, the young waterbender tries to see what he can detect.

My Fate newbieness is showing. :smallredface: I'm unclear on if this works better as an Overcome or a Create Advantage action with Lore. Or maybe one with Notice and another with Lore? Dude's just trying to find out if there are any spirits about and what he might know about them.

EDIT: FAIL - [roll0]
See here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22095877#22095877) for actual result (+3).

Tegu8788
2017-06-14, 11:42 PM

When Qilaq extends his spiritual senses, he finds something odd. Downright unusual. He can't sense any spirits in the area nearby, yet he is able to detect an almost ambient level of spiritual energy. Spirits tend to cluster, spread out, and different spirits create an organic rhythm and flow. What Qilaq is feeling is a homogeneous amount of spiritual energy.

Space Lawyer
2017-06-21, 10:04 PM
Meng continues observing the camp, still and silent. His only concession to comfort is leaning underneath the shade of a tree. It would be a long time until nightfall.

Tegu8788
2017-06-21, 10:24 PM

As the afternoon passes into evening, Meng is able to see several Earth Empire soldiers making marches around the camp. Intermittent patrols are joined by Mecha Suit or two. They move at regular intervals, and there was numerous gaps if one could move quickly and use the terrain well. As the sun sets, the camp is illuminated with false light, and the main buildings are filled with the Empire troops.

Gaius
2017-07-03, 10:03 PM
Qilaq's brow furrows at his discovery. "What? But why should that be?" He makes a token observation that Meng is keeping an eye on the enemy camp. 'Well, he seems to have things in order, I'd surely just get in the way, so it's certainly for the best I focus on this and only this.' Feeling a bit giddy after this hasty rationalization, the enemy camp all but vanishes from his thoughts as he runs through his stores of spiritual lore.

If he's allowed, Qilaq will find the hours melting past him into unraveling this puzzle. "Unless... Ah, no, doubtful. Hmm... Ooh, or maybe...?"

Just reminding myself that the I Know the Spirits Nearby Aspect is still about.

Also, gonna have a go at trying to Overcome the mystery of the homogeneous spirit energy with Lore. Just trying to get some thoughts on what that might mean about the local spirit activity and why.

Lemme give that new rolling method a shot: [roll0]

Space Lawyer
2017-07-06, 10:45 AM
Once Qilaq explains the spiritual oddity of the place, Men just nods with quiet acceptance. The soldiers and warlords were messing around during with dangerous tech; this wasn't unexpected. It didn't change the plan at all.

Just as the sun dips below the horizon, Men makes his move. The sunset was a glorious explosion of reds and purples. If the soldiers weren't taking a moment to appreciate it, then shame on them. Meng keeps low to the ground, ducking behind rocky outcroppings and hillocks. When he is sure he hasn't been spotted, he motions the rest of the group forward with one hand.

The other hand he keeps ready to attack with.

Tegu8788
2017-07-11, 03:26 PM
Outskirts of Republic City Territory - Sunset - All

As Meng walks cautiously around a low hill, he runs directly into a patrol walking by. They appear to have taken a long way around, as you are all on the far side of the hill from the main camp.

Well that was a less than stellar roll. So let's have a little fight. Place yourself somewhere in Zone 2. Exacts don't matter, but having a visual representation helps me.

Enemies: Kuvira Grunt, Mech Suit
Allies: Meng Chang, Qilaq

Tegu8788
2017-07-23, 10:12 PM
Outskirts of Republic City Territory - Sunset - All

Seeing a pair of intruders, the two prepare themselves for an attack. Stomping the ground, the uniformed woman raises an earthen wall as the Mech Suit charges towards Meng Chang. Dropping a heavy stomp towards the fire bender, but fails to land the attack.

Kuvira Grunt: Bend to Create an Advantage Defensive Barrier [roll0]

Mech Suit: Move to zone 2
Attack [roll1] with Weapon 2 vs Meng Chang's Athletic's [roll2]

Enemies: Kuvira Grunt, Mech Suit
Allies: Meng Chang, Qilaq

Gaius
2017-07-24, 09:33 AM
Qilaq has been a bit lost in thought for a while now, though the encounter brings him back to earth. 'You can worry about the spiritual oddity later.' Adopting a fighting stance, he thinks it best to disable that infernal machine. Bending the water from one of his canteens, he directs the liquid at the portholes on the tank, and then freezes it solid to blind the pilot.

Awright, let's see how this goes: using Bending to Create an Advantage Blinded by Ice on the Tank.

[roll0]

EDIT: Wellp, so much for that.