PDA

View Full Version : Kappa As Player Character

Bartmanhomer
2017-04-25, 03:53 PM
Is there such thing as a kappa? If so, can kappa be played as player character?

Swaoeaeieu
2017-04-25, 03:56 PM
you will have to explain the concept of a kappa im afraid and how you see it being a part of a campaign.

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-25, 03:56 PM
Oriental adventures has them, and they would be hard to play. Make sure you dont spill your head bowl hard to play.

Bartmanhomer
2017-04-25, 03:58 PM
you will have to explain the concept of a kappa im afraid and how you see it being a part of a campaign.

Kappa are turtle or tortoise humanoids. I know Bowser from Super Mario Bros. Is a kappa or koopa.

Someguy231
2017-04-25, 04:26 PM
Oriental adventures has them, and they would be hard to play. Make sure you dont spill your head bowl hard to play.

Wear a Helmet. c:

Deadline
2017-04-25, 05:08 PM
Kappa are turtle or tortoise humanoids. I know Bowser from Super Mario Bros. Is a kappa or koopa.

Kind of but not exactly (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore))

Although their appearance varies from region to region, the most consistent features are a beak, a shell, and a plate (sara), a flat hairless region on the top of the head that is always wet, and is regarded as the source of the kappa's power. This cavity must be full whenever a kappa is away from the water; if it ever dries out, the kappa loses its power and may even die.

There are turtle-like humanoids in D&D, they just aren't kappa. You could look into the Crucians, or perhaps a were-snapping turtle. And as was already pointed out, Oriental Adventures has stats for the actual Kappa of folklore.

ZamielVanWeber
2017-04-25, 05:18 PM
There is a decent turtle race from Dragon Magasine, tortle I think?

Edit: Yup, Dragon 315.

Palanan
2017-04-25, 05:41 PM
Pathfinder has a version of the kappa, complete with head-bowl, in Bestiary 3. There’s some fine print that would be problematic for an adventurer:

“If the water [from its head bowl] is emptied, the kappa becomes immobile and staggered. It can still take actions, but it cannot move from the spot on its own.”

A successful grapple check is all that's necessary to spill the water.

weckar
2017-04-25, 09:01 PM
Dip cleric for create water, done. I mean, it'd be a valid receptacle. Or, hell, get it as an at-will item. 1800GP? Eh?

thoroughlyS
2017-04-26, 12:39 AM
A simple solution to the Kappa's head bowl (Oriental Adventures p.169) is to undergo the Rite of Rebirth (Races of the Dragon p.8), becoming a Dragonborn. That would remove all of the Kappa's racial abilities. (At that point they would kind of suck, though.)

In addition to those races mentioned above, you can apply the Anthropomorphic template (Savage Species p.214) to any of the turtles found in D&D. Specifically, the Turtle (Dragon 323 p.98), Snapping Turtle (Stormwrack p.168), or Dire Tortoise (Sandstorm p.151).

I may or may not have made Bowser (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?507596-Video-Game-characters-as-D-amp-D-Characters-v2-0&p=21481438#post21481438) before, which left me with relative familiarity with this subject.

Swaoeaeieu
2017-04-26, 01:40 AM

Oh right that kind of kappa. i thought you wanted to play the sarcasm emote popular in twitch XD

I think Akashic Mysteries from DSP has a turtle race. pathfinder though