PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spells that charge?

Blu
2017-04-25, 05:25 PM
So i was wondering if there are Spells or even ability that need some time to charge(say, more than 1 turn) for a great burst of power?

Just curious if there is something like that, like when the hero starts charging a powerfull last attack or something

Gildedragon
2017-04-25, 05:27 PM
Pretty much all spells with casting time >1 standard action. So essentially spontaneous casters' metamagic spells fit in this category

Incantations also do this though the casting times are a fair bit longer

War Spells

Darth Ultron
2017-04-25, 05:47 PM
No, not in 3.5 or Pathfinder.

The problem is that ability is broken and does not fit in well with the rules framework. The power of a spell or ability is based off level, not just ''holding''.

Lots of homebrew tries to add this, like can ''hold the spell and do 1d6 damage more per round of holding''. They ''try'' and make it sound like a character would cast the spell at the start of combat, then stand there for many rounds and not do anything other then charge the spell (HA!), and then after a dozen rounds of ''sacrifice'' then will let loose a powerful spell effect.

What really happens is this dumb exploit: ''As soon as my character wakes up at 6am he casts the spell and holds the charge all day long'', then when after holding the charge for like 6 hours the player is all super happy when their character does 1000d6 damage!

Troacctid
2017-04-25, 06:32 PM
Yes. Channeled spells can be found in Player's Handbook II and Complete Mage.

ATHATH
2017-04-25, 08:56 PM
I was just about to mention these. They're pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

weckar
2017-04-25, 09:18 PM
I recall a druid-only spell that as the effect stays in effect it does more damage. 1d6 first round, 2d6 second, 3d6 third etc. Forget the name, though...

ATHATH
2017-04-25, 10:20 PM
They are:
Channeled Divine Health (PHB II)
Channeled Divine Shield (PHB II)
Channeled Lifetheft (CM)
Channeled Pyroburst (PHB II)
Channeled Sound Blast (CM)

Venger
2017-04-25, 10:22 PM
I recall a druid-only spell that as the effect stays in effect it does more damage. 1d6 first round, 2d6 second, 3d6 third etc. Forget the name, though...

you are thinking of creeping cold. it's in the spell compendium.

KillianHawkeye
2017-04-25, 10:31 PM
Pathfinder Kineticist can do this with their elemental blasts, although that isn't exactly spells.

weckar
2017-04-25, 10:32 PM
Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?

Blu
2017-04-25, 10:41 PM
They are:
Channeled Divine Health (PHB II)
Channeled Divine Shield (PHB II)
Channeled Lifetheft (CM)
Channeled Pyroburst (PHB II)
Channeled Sound Blast (CM)

I took a look on those but sadly, they sound pretty weak considering the amount of time and the spell slot you burn to use them. Sure they give a little versatility in terms of action economy, but they lack in terms of power.
If i am to spend two rounds casting i was expecting to blow the enemy away... not just a little up in dice size.

Zaq
2017-04-25, 10:51 PM
You can kind of think of any spontaneous caster applying an effect-increasing metamagic as doing this, since they have to increase the casting time.

Not quite what you wanted, but it's something.

weckar
2017-04-25, 10:53 PM
Any multi-round casting time spell for that matter, I suppose. Most of them aren't variable though.

Venger
2017-04-25, 11:13 PM
Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?

sure fam. also can I sig this?

while the full round version of the channeled x spells may seem unattractive, depending on circumstances, you can make use of the extremely obscure start/complete a full-round action ability by taking a standard on turn 1 and a standard on turn 2, allowing you to stay mobile.

weckar
2017-04-25, 11:20 PM
I've never been asked to be sigged before. Please, go right ahead!