PDA

View Full Version : Optimization for the Tarrasque

Morphic tide
2017-04-25, 05:33 PM
I'm putting this in this board because it's taking implied or stated rules which aren't quite homebrew to make use of. The Tarrasque has 48 hit dice, and the feats that comes with. They are all specified in the statblock, but it includes extremely sub-optimal picks like getting Toughness six times. The Tarrasque has access to Epic feats due to it's hit dice, and can be given some interesting feats due to it's status as a monster. For example, with just two feats(two purchases of Improved Natural Attack) the Tarrasque's bite can be raised to 12d8 damage.

An example of an Epic feat that can make the Tarrasque notably more dangerous is Devastating Critical, which makes crits into a DC 51 save-or-die, and Improved Critical makes this happen with roughly every fourth bite. Targeting Fortitude saves.

Epic Will gives another +4 to Will saves, which are a thing to dig into as much as possible because a mere +20 Will save isn't nearly enough against level 20 characters. Epic Speed would be on the list, giving 30 ft move speed extra to catch up to cheeky horsemen, but the Tarrasque has only 16 Dexterity out of the needed 21, although the 48 hit dice can be considered to have ability score increases attached to them for something like 12 ability score increases to re-distribute, which would allow for 21 Dexterity by reducing other ability scores by 5.

So, who wants to dig through the rules to find all the ways the Tarrasque can be altered without class levels or templates to optimize, then work out all that optimization? One Tarrasque should challenge four level 20 characters, so it needs to hold up against decent optimization. Not ubercharger or BFC, but rather the basic core setups where the Cleric focuses on healing and buffs(not the CoDzilla self-buffing monster, but the support caster that Cleric is supposed to be), the Sorcerer's a half-optimized mailman and generally everyone is playing to ToB levels of competence. One can really just focus on being an appropriate challenge to a party of four Tome of Battle characters at level 20. Or go as far as possible with it to lolnope anything below t2. Preferably the latter, because it's a real challenge to do.

So, with just working through all the things on the Tarrasque than can be altered based on attributing parts of the statblock to hit-dice derived functions like skill points and feats-by-level, how much better can you get the Tarrasque?

Edit: To list the resources you have available to optimize, the Tarrasque has 17 feats to manipulate and 48 skill points. These are your resources to optimize with.

Edit 2: So far, we have a few Soulmelds for Flight and Ability Damage Immunity, taking up 4 or 6 feats because we have to unlock the Chakras. We also have everything in Tome of Battle to look over for Manoeuvres to fill in gaps like mobility and sustained fighting further, so Shadow Hand and the Crusader's stuff are to be looked into. Stances in particular, for providing access to very good passives.

There's also crit fishing, thanks to the 18-20/x3 crit on the Bite, and threatened area for AoO and improved Mage Slayer range to lock down casters.

Remuko
2017-04-25, 05:38 PM
You cant take improved natural attack twice on the same weapon so unless you meant something else for its bite that part about the bite is wrong.

The Glyphstone
2017-04-25, 05:42 PM
Nothing prohibits it from taking Martial Study - with 48 base HD, it can get some real high-level maneuvers for one-use special attacks. Shadow Hand in particular is amusing, because the only thing scarier than a Tarrasque is a Tarrasque who can teleport and walk on air.

Morphic tide
2017-04-25, 05:52 PM
You cant take improved natural attack twice on the same weapon so unless you meant something else for its bite that part about the bite is wrong.

That's still 2d6 extra damage on one attack for one feat. And the Tarrasque still has three secondary natural attacks to improve this way.

Edit:

Nothing prohibits it from taking Martial Study - with 48 base HD, it can get some real high-level maneuvers for one-use special attacks. Shadow Hand in particular is amusing, because the only thing scarier than a Tarrasque is a Tarrasque who can teleport and walk on air.

Manoeuvres are a nice way to get some quick boosts. Looting the core of the Crusader's beatstick engine for tanking up damage wouldn't even take up all of it's Toughness feats(seriously, why does a CR 20 creature waste a third of it's feats on 18 HP?)

Don't forget the ability to re-distribute skill ranks. The Tarrasque has 2+Int skill points per HD, reduced to one per HD because Int is negative. This still means 48 skill points to spend.

MintyThe1st
2017-04-25, 06:04 PM
even just replacing the 6x toughness with improved toughness is a significant boost, gives you 288 more hp to work with.

Morphic tide
2017-04-25, 06:14 PM
even just replacing the 6x toughness with improved toughness is a significant boost, gives you 288 more hp to work with.

You see, this is the sort of "blind idiot" design you face as a Tarrasque. And the funniest thing about this is that I think the most optimal adjustment of the Tarrasque is to make it a crit fisher. Because with one feat, Improved Critical, a quarter of your Bite attacks are dealing triple damage. Thanks to Epic qualification, this can come with a DC 51 save-or-die through a short chain that grants an extra 2d6 damage on crit for the x3 crit range the Bite has, in addition to the already-mentioned Improved Critical.

Technetium43
2017-04-25, 06:15 PM
You can't take Improved Toughness multiple times. Additionally, one of the best ways I've found to boost up the Tarrasque is Shape Soulmeld. A number of soulmelds can be used to get rid of its weaknesses fairly reliably. Strongheart Vest bound to the Waist gives Ability Drain resistance, so you don't beef it to Allips. Crystal Helm bound to the Crown gives your melee attacks the Force descriptor, meaning they can hit incorporeal foes and MIGHT ignore DR. There are a number of ways to get flight. If you're lawful, Incarnate Avatar bound to the Soul gives you a ton of immunities. And Sphinx Claws gives pounce. Just these things alone turn the Tarrasque into an absolute monster.

Seerow
2017-04-25, 06:22 PM
You can't take Improved Toughness multiple times. Additionally, one of the best ways I've found to boost up the Tarrasque is Shape Soulmeld. A number of soulmelds can be used to get rid of its weaknesses fairly reliably. Strongheart Vest bound to the Waist gives Ability Drain resistance, so you don't beef it to Allips. Crystal Helm bound to the Crown gives your melee attacks the Force descriptor, meaning they can hit incorporeal foes and MIGHT ignore DR. There are a number of ways to get flight. If you're lawful, Incarnate Avatar bound to the Soul gives you a ton of immunities. And Sphinx Claws gives pounce. Just these things alone turn the Tarrasque into an absolute monster.

Flight, Pounce, and Immunity to Ability Damage is really hard to top for utilities that cover the Tarrasque's major weaknesses.

I'd also consider the increased reach feats (2 feats to effectively double your reach) and possibly Mage Slayer.

Morphic tide
2017-04-25, 06:40 PM
Okay, so, we have a maximum of 17 feats to work with. The Tarrasque also qualifies for Epic feats, which bear mentioning for several reasons, particularly the access to Devastating Critical, which requires Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Critical, Power Attack, Overwhelming Critical and Weapon Focus. All for the effect of getting a save-or-die based on 10+1/2 level+Strength modifier. Soulmelds are a good idea, given the Tarrasque's Con modifier applying to the saves and need of such narrow utilities, largely coming down to Flight and some immunities.

Two or three feats to the Soulmeld utility still leaves 15 or 14 feats open, although I'm fairly sure the suggestion actually takes up 4 or 6 feats due to needing to unlock the Chakras for the Binds. So, what all Manoeuvres are must-haves? I can see a lot of draw for the Crusader's staying power arsenal, and Shadow Hand has a few tricks of worth for chasing down people. It might not be a massive pile of "**** your ****," but it's there. The Tarrasque can also go for a grapple setup of some kind, thanks to the +86 to grapple, but killing level 20 players in a grapple is... not exactly ideal.

Edit: Mage Slayer is also a big thing to try to grab. It makes it so that getting into melee is an absolute death sentence for the vast majority of casters, because it utterly shuts them down.

Waker
2017-04-25, 06:54 PM
Some of the feats that I would change for the Tarrasque include:
Combat Brute and/or Shock Trooper from CWar. Both are simple and easy feats the Tarrasque already qualifies for. They fit in well with the image of an enormous monster that knocks over and breaks everything in its path.
Leap Attack and possibly Death Blow. Leap Attack is fairly straightforward. Death Attack just feels fun thematically, as the monster just steps on a downed foe while heading towards the next player.
Crush, Stamp and Pain Mastery from Savage Species are all great. Crush can let you pin down multiple nuisances, Stamp can serve as an enormous delay attack on non-flyers and Pain Mastery just works as a mini-rage.
Large and in Charge and Rend, both found in Draconomicon are also good picks.

Venger
2017-04-25, 07:01 PM

Beat me to the punch. Oh boy, I get to talk about soulmelds.

using shape soulmeld and open chakra is an excellent choice in a scenario like this.

with all those HD and slots, he can unlock any chakra, including soul, which is huge. this allows access to gate via the planar chasuble and extra actions via the threefold mask of the chimera

amusingly, you could also grab the dread carapace and the totem avatar, both of which are boring but useful melds, allowing you to do stuff like step all your natural attacks up by 1 and providing a power attack-like effect (which stacks with actual power attack) with your natural attacks. both channel the tarrasque, so it'd be a tarrasque channeling himself to be extra tarrasquey.

if you make yourself dragonblooded somehow, the mantle of the wyrm allows flight. if not, you can use the airstep sandals, pegasus cloak, or manticore belt.

Psyren
2017-04-25, 07:50 PM
Manoeuvres are a nice way to get some quick boosts. Looting the core of the Crusader's beatstick engine for tanking up damage wouldn't even take up all of it's Toughness feats(seriously, why does a CR 20 creature waste a third of it's feats on 18 HP?)

Because it's a core monster and core doesn't have many feats that are worth anything.

Morphic tide
2017-04-25, 08:35 PM
Because it's a core monster and core doesn't have many feats that are worth anything.

Even in core, it still can at least get a damage dice step on each attack! And some decent crit strengths. Being a rampaging charge monster is also doable. Although all of these fall into the issue of being stuff that you can decide to have in the statblock without feats, as its 18-20/x3 Bite shows.

Soranar
2017-04-25, 09:53 PM
considering your initiator level is 24...

I would take 3 shadow hand maneuvers (through martial study)

which qualifies you for martial stance : balance on the sky (unlimited airwalk)

now a flying tarrasque is something that would worry me, especially if it can teleport

Venger
2017-04-25, 09:57 PM

now a flying tarrasque is something that would worry me, especially if it can teleport

start with mountain tombstone strike. it has no prerequisites.

ross
2017-04-25, 09:58 PM
Does the Tarrasque have any way of getting Shivering Touch?

weckar
2017-04-25, 10:00 PM
Would that feat (sorry, forget the name, from Savage Species I think) that increases physical stats when damage is taken be of use? With Tarry's health pool and ways to restore it....

Morphic tide
2017-04-25, 10:06 PM

You mean like one of those Shadow Hand manoeuvres can let you? And airwalk implies using ground speed to move in the air... This means that Run becomes actually quite useful, as it adds to chasing speeds for catching them Wizards who think that flight makes them safe. And has fun rules interactions with moving up and down. Namely, most Flight that PCs get has a penalty for going up. This means that this airwalking Tarrasque can catch up to them quite a bit quicker due to not having a slowdown for going straight up.

Venger
2017-04-25, 10:07 PM
Would that feat (sorry, forget the name, from Savage Species I think) that increases physical stats when damage is taken be of use? With Tarry's health pool and ways to restore it....

you are referring to pain mastery.

every 50 points of hp damage you take, +2 to str (stacks) til the end of the encounter and at the end, you're exhausted.

with its sources of extra hp along with something like the vitality belt, it could get a pretty solid boost even without delay death or similar.

idesofmarch
2017-04-25, 11:22 PM
Think the tarrasque could benefit from soulmelds and chakra binding?

Morphic tide
2017-04-25, 11:25 PM
Think the tarrasque could benefit from soulmelds and chakra binding?

Already brought up, and there's two major soulmelds to look at. One for Flight, one for immunities to some good stuff the Tarrasque isn't immune to.

idesofmarch
2017-04-25, 11:33 PM
Already brought up, and there's two major soulmelds to look at. One for Flight, one for immunities to some good stuff the Tarrasque isn't immune to.

Aha, I've no reading comprehension.

Here's a questionable one. Vow of Poverty?

Is there a feat combination to give the tarrasque spellcasting ability for even just one spell? Because then Permanent Emanation is on the table. Never mind that, looks like there's a Spellcraft 25 ranks requirement.

Can you do a stealth tarrasque? With Darkstalker and all that fun?

weckar
2017-04-25, 11:36 PM
Aha, I've no reading comprehension.

Here's a questionable one. Vow of Poverty?

Only if Tarry is Good, right? Exalted feat and all that?

Intuitive Attack classification rage boiling...

idesofmarch
2017-04-25, 11:40 PM

My hope was that some feat could make the tarrasque Good-aligned.

Also somehow boost the tarrasque's Dex, Combat Reflexes, Improved Combat Reflexes, Karmic Strike/Robilar's Gambit, Stormguard Warrior. Get haste effects with Blinding Speed.

Technetium43
2017-04-25, 11:42 PM
Hmm. Does Diehard apply to unconciousness via nonlethal damage as well? If so you could make it a PAIN to put down. If not, I'm sure there's some other way to manage the same thing. Anyone have any ideas?

Venger
2017-04-25, 11:58 PM

with an int of 3, he's capable of being assigned an arbitrary alignment, but if he's Exalted Good, then why does your party need to kill him? (assuming you're not an Evil party)

My hope was that some feat could make the tarrasque Good-aligned.

Also somehow boost the tarrasque's Dex, Combat Reflexes, Improved Combat Reflexes, Karmic Strike/Robilar's Gambit, Stormguard Warrior. Get haste effects with Blinding Speed.
templates are out, but if he were half-celestial or something that would probably be enough

Hmm. Does Diehard apply to unconciousness via nonlethal damage as well? If so you could make it a PAIN to put down. If not, I'm sure there's some other way to manage the same thing. Anyone have any ideas?
Yes, die hard lets you act while in the negatives and you're not unconscious.

there is another way, you could shape the bloodtalons, which let you act normally when between -1 and -9hp and unlike diehard, you don't need to pay a feat tax and you don't take a point of damage at the end. the rage claws do the same thing, plus when you invest essentia, you lower the threshhold you die at by 3. it's a mini delay death, all for just shape soulmeld.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-26, 12:28 AM
It's been done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156029-Optimizing-the-Tarrasque/page2), but it's not as good without templates.

Adding Divine Rank 0 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm) gives it some needed immunities (energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage), plus it fixes its land speed issue.

Absolutely add Improved Spell Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedSpellResistance) enough (4+) times that they'll have to be very lucky with their SR roll on the Wish that's needed to finish it off.

weckar
2017-04-26, 12:31 AM
I know there's ways to get immunity to very specific chosen spells. Only ones I know of only go up to 6th level spells, but surely there's a way out there to be immune to Wish/Miracle specifically?

Venger
2017-04-26, 12:39 AM
I know there's ways to get immunity to very specific chosen spells. Only ones I know of only go up to 6th level spells, but surely there's a way out there to be immune to Wish/Miracle specifically?

spellblade

CIDE
2017-04-26, 02:02 AM
It's been done (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156029-Optimizing-the-Tarrasque/page2), but it's not as good without templates.

Adding Divine Rank 0 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm) gives it some needed immunities (energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage), plus it fixes its land speed issue.

Absolutely add Improved Spell Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedSpellResistance) enough (4+) times that they'll have to be very lucky with their SR roll on the Wish that's needed to finish it off.

I know mechanically they're basically the same thing but in regards to fluff I prefer the Abomination type/subtype to Divine Rank 0. It makes more sense for something like the Tarrasque and only adds more questions about the history and nature of the beast. Just a personal preference of mine.

Venger
2017-04-26, 02:10 AM
I know mechanically they're basically the same thing but in regards to fluff I prefer the Abomination type/subtype to Divine Rank 0. It makes more sense for something like the Tarrasque and only adds more questions about the history and nature of the beast. Just a personal preference of mine.

mechanically, the abomination type gives a ton of much stronger abilities. unlike soulmelds and maneuvers, which mostly just give more options, this might let the tarrasque actually kill your party, so bear that in mind depending on what your goals are.

abomination is definitely better numberswise, but I don't see a fluff disconnect of him being a minor deity. given some of the stuff people worship in this game, the tarrasque having a bunch of people worshipping him as a god isn't that strange. when people are lining up to worship urdlen and jubilex, I can hardly object.

yellowrocket
2017-04-26, 03:30 AM

I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the abomination sub type. Does it grant immortality (no more death by drowning) and immunity to "energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage."

Also I like the idea of big t as a divine world ender.

Venger
2017-04-26, 08:25 AM
I'm not familiar with the mechanics of the abomination sub type. Does it grant immortality (no more death by drowning) and immunity to "energy drain, ability drain, or ability damage."

no and yes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm)

Morphic tide
2017-04-26, 08:51 AM

Technically, it already is in Forgotten Realms. It's that it was made as a battering ram for an army with the goal of unraveling the Prime Material that isn't around anymore because the regular gods kicked out the old things that led said army. Because the army was breaking their stuff.

As for Alignment, the official statblock says TN, but the Tarrasque's Int score allows for other alignments, so you can possibly use that as an excuse. An Exalted Good Tarrasque would have questions needing to be answered for why a Good party is fighting them, but you can actually justify it fairly easily. Mind Rape allows you to permanently change a creature's personality. This means that you can make the Tarrasque act however you want, thanks to that ****ing abysmal Will save for its HD. With the literal explanation of "a Wizard did it." The funniest part is that doing this would actually qualify as an Evil act because the spell has an Evil descriptor for being permanent mind-control.

Divine Rank? Aren't there concrete rules for number of worshipers to Divine Rank? We might be able to get Divine Rank 2 off of Leadership, with only a tiny amount of fluff to it. There's Follower-valid creatures that have a high tendency to consider big monsters to be gods, right? Granted, any hard optimization involving Leadership basically comes down to "what's the most broken build at each level? Okay, all my followers fit that set of builds," but in this case it's being used to excuse the Tarrasque having followers for the Divine Rank.

And why are you thinking about Intuitive Attack, weckar? The Tarrasque has only a +2 Wisdom bonus. Are there feats with Intuitive Attack as a prerequisite that make it good? I mean, if we have Sacred Vow stuff, then the Tarrasque can be said to have every relevant Exalted feat that it qualifies for. Vow of Poverty is useful, here, as it actually does replace quite a bit of the function of magic items. It's that it fails to replace the biggest ones, like transportation and movement modes, but you have stuff to replace those functions in other feats anyways. One of the other Vows would let the Tarrasque go all-out in a fight without having a risk of killing by removing the penalty for nonlethal damage. Which would let the Tarrasque be a "big damn hero" with little to no fatalities in the fight, knocking out mooks by the dozen without effort.

idesofmarch
2017-04-26, 11:22 AM
So earlier people were looking at crit tarrasque. I don't know how, but if you could get weapon special abilities onto the tarrasque's natural attacks, then prismatic burst (MIC) and souldrinker (BoVD) would probably be pretty potent.

Venger
2017-04-26, 11:29 AM
So earlier people were looking at crit tarrasque. I don't know how, but if you could get weapon special abilities onto the tarrasque's natural attacks, then prismatic burst (MIC) and souldrinker (BoVD) would probably be pretty potent.

necklace of natural weapons.

yellowrocket
2017-04-26, 11:41 AM
T An Exalted Good Tarrasque would have questions needing to be answered for why a Good party is fighting them.

Easy insane chaotic good god created it to purify the plane of all evil.

I'm liking this more and more as the overall plot line to a campaign using the improved big t that the playground comes up with.

Waker
2017-04-26, 11:48 AM

I'm liking this more and more as the overall plot line to a campaign using the improved big t that the playground comes up with.

Except that the moment the Exalted T did anything that is remotely evil, it stops being Exalted. BoED was very straightlaced in its interpretations of Good/Evil, with the slightest infraction making you lose anything gained from it.

Psyren
2017-04-26, 11:50 AM

Unleashing something like that would be like nuking an entire city to take out the thieves' guild. Such a god would be CN at best, definitely not CG.

Zancloufer
2017-04-26, 03:07 PM
Looking at his feats there is really 7-9 we can replace because they just suck. Alertness and Dodge are kind of pointless, Toughness * 6 is laughable and Improved Bull Rush seems a bit weak as well.

Endurance + Diehard makes it impossible to KO Big T. He is either dead or rampaging around. Improved Crit + Wep Focus + Overwhelming/Devestating critical means he has a 25% chance to force a DC 46 SoD on every bite attack. Three more feats to replace. Martial Study * 2 + Martial stance? Get Dance on the Sky so Big T can literally walk on air, and it has the prereque of a few Shadow Hand Manoeuvres. Maybe Swift Invisibility and Move action teleport?

I mean overall Big T looses +2 Spot/Listen, 1 AC vs one enemy, 18 HP. In return he gains the ability to never fall unconscious, doubles crit threat with his bite and gains a SoD. Also can turn invisible/teleport 1/encounter and what is essentially super flight. Flying Tarrasque that forces SoDs and can never fall unconscious.

Morphic tide
2017-04-26, 04:40 PM
Looking at his feats there is really 7-9 we can replace because they just suck. Alertness and Dodge are kind of pointless, Toughness * 6 is laughable and Improved Bull Rush seems a bit weak as well.

Endurance + Diehard makes it impossible to KO Big T. He is either dead or rampaging around. Improved Crit + Wep Focus + Overwhelming/Devestating critical means he has a 25% chance to force a DC 46 SoD on every bite attack. Three more feats to replace. Martial Study * 2 + Martial stance? Get Dance on the Sky so Big T can literally walk on air, and it has the prereque of a few Shadow Hand Manoeuvres. Maybe Swift Invisibility and Move action teleport?

I mean overall Big T looses +2 Spot/Listen, 1 AC vs one enemy, 18 HP. In return he gains the ability to never fall unconscious, doubles crit threat with his bite and gains a SoD. Also can turn invisible/teleport 1/encounter and what is essentially super flight. Flying Tarrasque that forces SoDs and can never fall unconscious.

Golden. This is one way to do it. And you accounted for all the feats to change, too. The save-or-die is the biggest deal here, because it's not specified as any type of effect and is a Fortitude Save-or-Die. Fortitude is a common weak save among the better classes. Most of the classes with a good Fort save are melee, which is exactly where Big T wants them. And of importance is that walking on air uses ground movement speed, not a separate fixed flight speed, so the Tarrasque will usually be Running faster than the enemy can Fly away. Longer-range Teleports still let the enemy escape, but those are exclusively used for running away. They are universally too long range or inaccurate to use for just gaining distance in a fight. The combat teleports all fall in range of the Shadow Hand mobility or Charge unless you metamagic the range up.

Venger
2017-04-26, 05:32 PM

as I mentioned earlier, you can replace endurance and diehard with shape soulmeld (bloodtalons) which also lets him act normally beyond -10

Morphic tide
2017-04-26, 05:50 PM
as I mentioned earlier, you can replace endurance and diehard with shape soulmeld (bloodtalons) which also lets him act normally beyond -10

If that effect is the Bound effect, then it needs two feats anyways and is Su, making it worse off in general because AMF can shut it off.

Deeds
2017-04-26, 05:50 PM
Funny feats for our friendly CR 20 Tarrasque after a google search

Wild Cohort - "Is that horse riding the monster!?"
Blessed by Tem-Et-Nu - The tarrasque is favorable in the eyes of Tem-Et-Nu and thus hippopotamuses cannot attack the legendary creature
Lich Loved

Morphic tide
2017-04-26, 06:00 PM
Lich Loved

I... Uhh... what... That feat requires you to have something approximating sex with a lich! How the hell does that happen with the Tarrasque?!

Venger
2017-04-26, 06:14 PM
If that effect is the Bound effect, then it needs two feats anyways and is Su, making it worse off in general because AMF can shut it off.

No, it's not the bound effect. It's the shaped effect. If it'd needed two feats, I would've said so. it is supernatural, but so is balance on the sky.

Gildedragon
2017-04-26, 06:15 PM
I... Uhh... what... That feat requires you to have something approximating sex with a lich! How the hell does that happen with the Tarrasque?!

With a lot of patience and understanding by all parties involved

The Viscount
2017-04-26, 06:18 PM

Liches are spellcasters, and have increased Int and Cha. I'm sure they can figure something out.

Also despite the name, it can be other undead, and there are some really big ones.

Gildedragon
2017-04-26, 06:24 PM
Liches are spellcasters, and have increased Int and Cha. I'm sure they can figure something out.

Also despite the name, it can be other undead, and there are some really big ones.
Dracoliches for example

Zancloufer
2017-04-26, 07:29 PM
No, it's not the bound effect. It's the shaped effect. If it'd needed two feats, I would've said so. it is supernatural, but so is balance on the sky.

While Balance on the Sky is Su, so are many methods of PC flight. Also if you hit Big T with an AMF his Stance just falters for the 10-20 ft it takes for him to drop out of it and he starts running through the air again.

On the flip side having a Su ability to remain conscious at negative HP is much worse. Essentially AMF becomes a No Save just Suck if you bring Big T to negative HP. Having an Ex effect that keeps him conscious means NOTHING except Wish and ability DRAIN actually can stop Big T.