PDA

View Full Version : Stumbled on Some Weird Feats

TheBrassDuke
2017-04-25, 06:32 PM
So while perusing Bastards & Bloodlines, I happened upon two feats: Lost Tradition and Mystic Legacy (B&B, p.91).

Lost Tradition allows you to switch up the ability score for your class that governs Spellcasting. Okay...that's pretty neat. So my Sorcerer could cast with Wis if I really wanted, or Int, right? But what about Con? I've always thought Constitution was a better fit for Sorcerers...I mean, they are using their own power to fuel their spells. It's their lifeblood, it is their raw energy. So..?

Mystic Legacy was also very interesting. It also clarifies it wants you to choose which [Mental] ability score (that governs spellcasting), and then goes on to say that, for the purpose of determining DCs, your bonus spells and maximum spell level you may cast are essentially two points higher.

The bolded bit kind of confuses me? I'm taking clindamycin right now, though, so, that could be it.

Thoughts on your reading of these feats, and how you would apply them?

Venger
2017-04-25, 06:40 PM
So while perusing Bastards & Bloodlines, I happened upon two feats: Lost Tradition and Mystic Legacy (B&B, p.91).

Lost Tradition allows you to switch up the ability score for your class that governs Spellcasting. Okay...that's pretty neat. So my Sorcerer could cast with Wis if I really wanted, or Int, right? But what about Con? I've always thought Constitution was a better fit for Sorcerers...I mean, they are using their own power to fuel their spells. It's their lifeblood, it is their raw energy. So..?

Mystic Legacy was also very interesting. It also clarifies it wants you to choose which [Mental] ability score (that governs spellcasting), and then goes on to say that, for the purpose of determining DCs, your bonus spells and maximum spell level you may cast are essentially two points higher.

The bolded bit kind of confuses me? I'm taking clindamycin right now, though, so, that could be it.

Thoughts on your reading of these feats, and how you would apply them?

Yeah, third party content has some weird, broken stuff in it all right.

What is it that is confusing you?

Here's how mystic legacy works:

Let's say you are a lvl 6 sorcerer with a 12 cha.

normally, assuming no intervention from versatile spellcaster or anything, you can cast 3rd lvl spells. however, your cha is too low to access level 3 spells.

your 12 cha gives you a bonus slot at level 1.

if you take mystic legacy, your cha is now also treated as a 14, which gives you a bonus slot at level 2. this also lets you cast level 3 spells, which you couldn't before since your cha wasn't at least 13.

if your dm allows this nonsense, go for it, it's too good not to take. let me know if there's anything else that needs explanation

weckar
2017-04-25, 06:46 PM
Con, or any physical stat, is entirely appropriate for Lost Tradition. It is QUITE a broken feat, and I only allow it at my table if a mental stat is chosen. It even helps dual-dependency casters (like wis/cha casters) to only use one stat.

Venger
2017-04-25, 06:48 PM
Con, or any physical stat, is entirely appropriate for Lost Tradition. It is QUITE a broken feat, and I only allow it at my table if a mental stat is chosen. It even helps dual-dependency casters (like wis/cha casters) to only use one stat.

roll gish. cast off strength (https://1d4chan.org/images/thumb/e/e4/Muscle_wizard.jpg/300px-Muscle_wizard.jpg)

Keld Denar
2017-04-25, 08:52 PM

Relevant Quote (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilitiesAndSpellcasters)

A wizard gains bonus spells based on her Intelligence score. The minimum Intelligence score needed to cast a wizard spell is 10 + the spell’s level.

Clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers get bonus spells based on their Wisdom scores. The minimum Wisdom score needed to cast a cleric, druid, paladin, or ranger spell is 10 + the spell’s level.

Sorcerers and bards get bonus spells based on their Charisma scores. The minimum Charisma score needed to cast a sorcerer or bard spell is 10 + the spell’s level.

Thus, Mystic Tradition counts your ability as 2 points higher for the above bolded references.

TheBrassDuke
2017-04-26, 07:32 AM
Thank you, guys. Yeah, waking up and reading it again before my next dosage kicks in--it makes much more sense now. @_@