PDA

View Full Version : Bottlerager revisited and rebuilt to Barbarian/Rogue Dual Wielder

Arkhios
2017-04-26, 04:11 AM
It's been a good while since I posted the thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493376-Bottlerager-(a-k-a-Drunken-Dwarf-Battlerager)-Spiked-Armor-question) about my character for our "rainy day games", running Adventurer's League modules without the normal PHB+1 restriction but only allowing officially released material (NO UA or other homebrew!), and I didn't dare/want to necro the old thread.

So, to recap, the character in question is a Mountain Dwarf Barbarian, and a Would-Be-Battlerager.
Stats are as follows:
Str 17, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 10
Initially I had plans on taking the feats Tavern Brawler (@4th level) and Durable (@ either 8th or 12th level), Grappler probably either before or after Durable, and the rest of the ASI's I intended on putting in +2 strength and +2 constitution.

Now, there was a time when I was quite enthusiastic about drawing, and - to my shame - less so nowadays, mostly because I just can't be arsed to begin with.
Anyway, I once made a picture of a dwarf (presumably a rogue) wielding two punching daggers, and charging head-on towards something.

That picture comes back to "haunt" me from time to time, as it's probably the best picture of a dwarf I've ever drawn myself, and it would be somewhat shame if I never played a character like that.

So, I was thinking that maybe I could change the "Bottlerager" a "little bit". Due to his stats, the character could easily give in to a rogue multiclass, but I'm not sure which roguish archetype would work best with Battlerager. I think I want - at the very least - Reckless Abandon. And since Rogue 2+ would give me Dash as a bonus action at all times, I wouldn't absolutely need the 10th level in Battlerager (but I'm unsure should I even go barbarian beyond 8th level? That ASI would be nice though.)

Note: I'm not going to change the Primal Path, I would prefer keeping the stats as much intact as possible, and as I said above, Unearthed Arcana (and I think it goes without saying that anything from DM's Guild and other homebrew) is out of question.
Edit: As an afterthought, I guess I could drop Constitution to 16 (15+2 to 14+2), freeing up 2 points to increase Charisma to 12, and instead of Durable, take just plain +2 Constitution.

My new plans include taking up Dual Wielder as soon as possible for the ability to draw and stow two weapons at the same time for free once in a turn, plus the +1 AC is also pretty tempting. High constitution is mandatory for Reckless Abandon, so I'd rather not decrease that either.

As for weapons (for times when i'm not grappling - which won't be ideal all the time) I think a shortsword is a good fit for a "punching dagger" with their equal critical damage potential; the 3.5 Punching Dagger (1d4x3) would've had max. 12 + str as does a shortsword (1d6x2).

Right now, I'm thinking that Barbarian 8/Rogue 12 would be a particularly good split, especially because I'd get cunning action at the same level I would've got Battlerager Charge (@10th level), and obviously expertise in athletics, acrobatics, and maybe survival and perception. (As a bonus, my approach regarding traps would pretty much align with Binwin Bronzebottom (http://pvponline.com/images/blog/binwinshirt.jpg) :smallbiggrin:).

The split would give me 6 ASI instead of just 5 which would mean I could get both strength and constitution to 20, and all the feats, including Dual Wielder.

Thoughts?

With Reckless Attack I could get sneak attack with any of the two (or three with Extra) attacks I get while dual wielding shortswords.

With Reckless Abandon, I'd have a steady source of Temporary Hit Points acting as a makeshift Damage Reduction.

Since Rage damage bonus applies even to my off-hand attacks, they wouldn't be that sub-optimal.

Once I have Extra Attack: I could attack with unarmed strike or improvised weapon, and if I hit, I could use Bonus Action (Tavern Brawler) to attempt a grapple. If I succeed, I could draw a shortsword as part of the second attack roll (it's still part of the same Attack action, I think?), make the attack with advantage since the target is Grappled, and be able to sneak attack, once for that turn.

Once I have Extra Attack: When grappling, I could make one attack with advantage using a shortsword (getting sneak attack), then release the target, draw the second sword with the second attack roll, and after that, make yet another attack with Bonus Action (I guess?)

Once I have Extra Attack: When grappling, I could make one attack with shortsword for Sneak Attack, Another attack with either unarmed strike for ****s-and-giggles or again with shortsword, and as a bonus action with the armor spikes.

Maxilian
2017-04-26, 08:46 AM
Why do you want to Dual-Wield, when you can use your own armor to attack with your bonus action (that does add your STR modifier)? (Only when you rage though), that mainly take out the need for the Dualwielder feat

Arkhios
2017-04-26, 12:15 PM
Why do you want to Dual-Wield, when you can use your own armor to attack with your bonus action (that does add your STR modifier)? (Only when you rage though), that mainly take out the need for the Dualwielder feat

Because I plan to be prepared for everything. Even Rage uses end at some point.
Also, because it fits the concept of the picture. Too bad I can't show it since I'm not sure where it is.