PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Great Weapon Master Feat and crits.

dungeoneer
2017-04-26, 05:19 AM
Hi all,

i have a question concerning the great weapon master feat and crits.
Say I declare attack and choose to take -5 penalty on attack and then roll a natural 20, do I get to add the +10 damage to the double damage dice?

Best regards,
D

Lombra
2017-04-26, 06:06 AM
Hi all,

Say I declare attack and choose to take -5 penalty on attack and then roll a natural 20, do I get to add the +10 damage to the double damage dice?

Best regards,
D

When you score a critical hit you only double the damage die of the weapon, you don't double the bonuses to the damage (same goes for magical weapons with flat number bonuses) you do however double any dice that you roll (like smites, sneak attacks and additional damage dies, for example if a weapon deals an extra d6 fire damage, you double it too, I believe that it doesn't work with hunter's mark or hex, due to how the spells are worded)

Tanarii
2017-04-26, 06:10 AM
You double the damage dice, then add the normal modifiers. PHB p196.

In other words, if you normally roll 2d6+Str for your great sword, you roll 4d6+Str on a critical. If you roll 2d6+Str+10 you roll 4d6+Str+10 on a crit. If you roll 1d8+3d6+Dex on a sneak attack, you roll 2d8+6d6+Dex on a critical.

Arial Black
2017-04-26, 11:52 AM
The extra 1d6 damage from hex/hunter's mark does indeed get doubled to 2d6 on a crit, just like every other damage die delivered by that hit.

Any flat bonuses, like the +10 from GMW are only added once, not doubled.

bid
2017-04-26, 07:26 PM
Nope.

OTOH, you already get to use your bonus action for an extra attack, from the other bullet point of GWM.

Malifice
2017-04-26, 07:45 PM
Hi all,

Best regards,
D

Nope.

On a critical hit you only double (i.e. roll twice) your damage dice.

A critical from a Strength 20 human Fighter with Great weapon style and Great weapon master feat is: 4d6 (+15) re-rolling all the 1's and 2's.

FinnS
2017-04-26, 10:36 PM
Nope.

OTOH, you already get to use your bonus action for an extra attack, from the other bullet point of GWM.

As an aside, only the -5/+10 requires a weapon with the Heavy property.
The bonus attack received through either dealing a critical hit or killing something applies to any attack from any weapon.

da_chicken
2017-04-27, 11:17 AM
Hi all,

Best regards,
D

Let's say you have Str 18 and a Greatsword +1.

On a regular hit, you will deal 2d6 + 5 damage. When you crit, you will deal 4d6 + 5 damage.

When you use Great Weapon Master, you will deal 2d6 + 15 damage. When you use GWM and you crit, you will deal 4d6 + 15 damage.