PDA

View Full Version : Survival Game - Paladin Subclass choice(if I live)

HermanTheWize
2017-04-26, 07:32 AM
Me and two guys just started a "Survival" game.

The DM didn't tell us really what he meant, just it's a survival game.

We rolled random everything(stats/race/class)

Aasimar Paladin

Stats Rolled(before racials):

12 - 12 - 12 - 11 - 11 - 8

One of the 12's has to be dex

How would you guys use those stats(we are level 1).

I.E. What SubRace would you use and how would you arrange the stats(knowing 1 12 is a dex)

Also, what subclass would you choose(if we make it to level 3)?

The one other character is a gnome ranger fyi.

Arkhios
2017-04-26, 07:47 AM
Assuming those rolls are before racials, here's my take:

Scourge Aasimar (+1 Con, +2 Cha):
Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12+1, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 11+2
At 4th level, +1 to Con and Cha (con 14 is quite enough, and so is cha 14, to be honest)
At 8th level +2 to either strength or dexterity, depending what type of weapons you wish to use.
At 12th level if you get this far, +2 to the same one as before
At 16th level: if you get this far, see above.
At 19th level: if you get this far, see above.

Alternatively, if you can multiclass, after 4th level, go to draconic sorcerer or warlock, focus on improving charisma, and go to town.

If you can take feats:
At 4th level: take Resilient Constitution
At 8th level: take +1 wis and +1 cha.
At 12th level and forward: +2 to strength, dexterity or charisma. Otherwise, follow either of the above options, whichever appeals to you most.

As for the Sacred Oath, I'd say either Vengeance (for advantage on your attack rolls -> better chance of landing those attacks), Devotion for a slight boost in your weapon attack roll bonus, or Crown.

HermanTheWize
2017-04-26, 10:07 AM
Assuming those rolls are before racials, here's my take:....

Thanks for the reply!

PeteNutButter
2017-04-26, 10:12 AM
If you can multiclass (and want to) you can do so after level 1 if you are a fallen aasimar.

If you are expecting to be low equipment, I think warlock and/or sorcerer would serve you better.

HermanTheWize
2017-04-26, 10:15 AM
If you can multiclass (and want to) you can do so after level 1 if you are a fallen aasimar.

If you are expecting to be low equipment, I think warlock and/or sorcerer would serve you better.

I have a feeling we are starting with nothing....could be wrong though.

Corran
2017-04-26, 09:54 PM
These aren't good stats and you'll need to spend ASI's to boost them (the stats) significantly.

That means that you cannot rely on feats. Only PAM might be worth it, but given your stats I am not even sure if even PAM is a good idea (due to the lower hit chane).

So, stick with a S&B and heavy armor set-up and try to be a tank (if you are a 2-man party and the other character is an archer you are in for a bit of trouble no matter what you do). Oath of the ancients is the way to do it (tanking) , and by the way, OoA is the least feat-dependent oath in the PHB.

Starting stats (dex has to be 12, racial bonuses: +2 CHA, +1 CON, rolls: 12, 12, 12, 11, 11, 8):
STR: 12
DEX: 12
CON: 11+1= 12
INT: 8
WIS: 11
CHA: 12+2= 14

Some Thoughts:
1) Stick with a heavy armor despite your low (for the time being strength score). Tanking due to a high AC is one of the few things that you can still do really well, even with poor rolls, so dont turn away from this due to a movement penalty.

2) Bless will help you land hits. A shame there is not a second ally as bless allows for buffing up to 3 targets. Still, your best bet for concentration.

3) Advantage will profit you slightly better in the average case scenario, since your reduced hit chance will usually receive aslightly bigger (than expected) boost due to advantage (an additional increase of 3% roughly). That said, dont fall into the trap of shield master.

4) I would normaly advise you to boost charisma first, but with no (many) allies to stick close to you to profit from aura of protection, I am not sure if bumping cha should take priority. PAM is probably not worth picking up, at least until late game (or at the very least, not before level 12). Probably raisee strength with your first ASI, if not for nothing else, just to open up the potential to multiclass.

5) If you are the only melee character of the group, I highly recommend multiclassing as a sorcerer. Unfortunately, you need to grab both a STR bump and warcaster before you do that, so we are talking at level 9-10 territory

HermanTheWize
2017-04-27, 02:09 PM
These aren't good stats and you'll need to spend ASI's to boost them (the stats) significantly.....

Thanks for the well thought out post!

Talionis
2017-04-27, 09:48 PM
First advice just die and reroll. Those are awful stats. It's why you shouldn't roll.

Okay out of my system. Paladin is hard to be SAD. So I'd consider not being a Paladin. A caster can get along much better with only one stat.

If you must go Paladin. I agree Go Tank.

HermanTheWize
2017-04-27, 09:49 PM
First advice just die and reroll. Those are awful stats. It's why you shouldn't roll.

Okay out of my system. Paladin is hard to be SAD. So I'd consider not being a Paladin. A caster can get along much better with only one stat.

Unfortunately, everything was rolled...even class.

Kane0
2017-04-27, 10:01 PM
You should roll for which subclass to pick.

Probably best to invest most ASIs in Str after you round the others to even numbers.

Arkhios
2017-04-28, 04:25 AM

By that statement you position yourself as a person who prefers optimizing in games, and that's fine... just, don't go saying that no one should roll, ever. It's your opinion, and you're entitled to have it. But don't say it's the only appropriate way to play.

It seems clear to me that you don't see the fact that it can be fun, even if your character isn't built in an optimal way. That's where I think you and your kind are wrong. (no offense!)

Randomizing everything has its own appeal, to some people. Especially for quick characters for a fast-paced game, where you basically make the character immediately without further thought on how it would work. Just kinda doing it on a whim can actually be quite refreshing from time to time.

Zanthy1
2017-04-28, 11:18 AM

You shouldn't scrap a whole character just because the stats are low, that is childish.