PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Blackwater cleric domain

Demolicious
2017-04-26, 08:51 AM
I do fair bit of homebrewing for my campaign, so occasionally I end up making something bigger than new monster, item or mechanic change. And when that happens, I occasionally post it out here.

I've always had interest to run blackwater cleric pirate in 3.5, but never got a chance for campaign where it'd fit. So I ended up writing this up for 5e.

This is my attempt at converting Blackwater domain from Stormwrack into 5e. Feedback and constructive criticism is naturally welcome. This is currently in process of being playtested, though starting off at low lvl, it may be a while until results start showing.

Most domain abilities are effort to replicate function or feel of several spells from original domain. I've tried to keep abilities on par with existing cleric domains, though some may be more effective in particular situations. I'm also aware that all domain spells are something not normally on cleric's spell list, but unfortunately 5e cleric doesn't really have spells by default that fits the concept. Several domain spells have been taken from Elemental Evil supplement for 5e.

Blackwater Domain
Those who seek to control the Blackwater draw their divine power from darkest depths of the oceans, reaching into cold, sunless abyss to touch waters filled with untold horrors and tainted with death. Seafarers of darker persuasion, from pirates to worshippers of evil sea deities, are most often drawn to seductive taint of Blackwater.

Blackwater Domain spells

Cleric level
Spells

1st
Create or Destroy Water, Arms of Hadar

3rd
Darkness, Darkvision

5th
Tidal Wave, Wall of Water

7th
Watery Sphere, Black Tentacles

9th
Maelstrom, Conjure Elemental (water only)

Bonus Proficiency
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain proficiency in martial weapons. You also know Shape Water cantrip.

Call of the Deep
Starting at 1st level, you begin to channel Blackwater through you. You are immune to pressure from being deep underwater. Also, you’re able to channel Blackwater into your spells. When casting a spell that creates or uses liquid water, you can cause it to be replaced with Blackwater. Half of any damage dealt by the spell is necrotic damage. Blackwater is undrinkable, forcing anyone who swallows it to make Constitution saving throw vs your spell DC or be poisoned until end of their next turn.

Channel Divinity: Blackwater Taint
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to draw even more potent Blackwater for your spells. Either of following effects can be used for Blackwater spells (see Call of the Deep).
- When rolling damage for Blackwater spell, double necrotic damage dealt.
- When casting Blackwater spell, anyone hit by the spell has to make Constitution save vs your spell DC or gain 1 level of exhaustion. Regardless of if save is success or failure, target cannot be affected again until you finish a long rest.

Transformation of the Deeps
Starting at 6th level, you can bless those near you to better withstand Blackwater depths. As action, you can affect number of creatures up to your wisdom modifier within 10 ft. Affected creatures gain ability to breathe underwater, see in normal and magical darkness up to 60 ft. and are immune to pressure from being underwater. This effect lasts for 8h. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Divine Strike
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with dark power of Blackwater depths. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Doom of the Seas
At 17th level, you’ve become one of the monsters that dwell in Blackwater depths. You gain resistance to necrotic damage and swimming speed equal to your walking speed. In addition, as a 10 minute ritual, you can take on shape of Doom of the Seas, kraken. While in this form, you gain following benefits.
-You’re treated as huge.
-Swimming speed is increased to 60 ft. and your land speed is halved.
-You are affected as if by Transformation of the Deeps.
-You have Multiattack (2), which you can use to make tentacle attacks.
-Tentacle attack: reach 20 ft. On hit: 3d6+Strength modifier bludgeoning damage and target is grappled (Escape DC = spell DC). You have total of 6 tentacles to use for either attacking or grappling.
-Your attacks have Siege property.
-Your AC is set to 18
-You gain temporary hit points equal to your Wisdom modifier x your level.

This transformation lasts for 1h or until you dismiss it as an action. You can’t use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

JNAProductions
2017-04-26, 11:30 AM
Seems okay, except for handing out Exhaustion. That is REALLY FREAKING STRONG. I'd make it the poisoned condition instead, and have it last for one round, or at most, one minute, with a new save each turn.

Demolicious
2017-04-26, 01:10 PM
Thanks for input, I'll put that to consideration once I have chance to see how it pans out during playtest.

I personally never saw exhaustion as especially powerful debuff, as it's rarely enough used to provide much merit in combat. Certainly, it lasts a while, but just 1 level of exhaustion imposes disadvantage on ability checks, so saving throws and attacks are not affected at all. At best, I feel it would be useful as a gimmick, in getting away from enemies or preventing them from escaping grapple.

Making it save or poisoned condition for 1 round on each turn enemy starts turn or enters the water could be one replacement though.