PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next An Epic Rules attempt

arrowed
2017-04-26, 01:06 PM
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJvyzQPn

Here is my crazy. I hope it's balanced. Would appreciate feedback.

Grizl' Bjorn
2017-04-26, 02:51 PM
This is awesome. There's more stuff here that's balanced than is not balanced which is amazing given the subject matter.

I personally don't like the idea of epic spells that can only be blocked by epic magic. I also don't like 'immunity to spells below level L' mechanics- though I know these are part of existing rules. I think where spell immunity applies it should always be tempered in important ways- like not including area of effect spells, or capping it at a relatively low spell level like 4. This is a personal view though.

arrowed
2017-04-26, 05:16 PM
This is awesome. There's more stuff here that's balanced than is not balanced which is amazing given the subject matter.

I personally don't like the idea of epic spells that can only be blocked by epic magic. I also don't like 'immunity to spells below level L' mechanics- though I know these are part of existing rules. I think where spell immunity applies it should always be tempered in important ways- like not including area of effect spells, or capping it at a relatively low spell level like 4. This is a personal view though.

Much thanks for the compliment :smallredface: The Limited Magic Immunity thing, and a few other abilities, I think is partially there for the Fighter-in-a-forcecage issue, where a character without access to a wizard's versatility can just get bogged down by save-or-be-out-of-the-fights (even though there aren't many in 5e, each caster still has a few by the time they get to epic levels). LMI feels/felt like a way to cut down on a character's vulnerability to spamming Tasha's Hideous Laughter until they fail a save.

Also is for monsters and if monsters can have it, why not epic PCs? Probably needs tweaking, but it's fairly staggered? Problem with stipulating the immunity doesn't extend to area is that your fighter can still be put in a box with web or something, which is part of what I'm trying to minimise.

As far as epic magic goes it's meant to be a trump card, but one with a cost. It seems illogical to me for a third-level spell like nondetection to beat a 10th level spell. Like a god's divination will be beaten by a mortal's weaker abjuration?

Much thanks for the views, interested to know how you'd change things.

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-08, 10:09 PM
I like this i might use another thing i found in addition.http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412968-5e-Epic-Classes-%28levels-21-30%29

2017-06-09, 12:33 AM
I have no idea if this section overly favors straight-class characters, split-class characters, or ADHD-class characters, but it's difficult to really say, so I'll move on to the actual benefits (only mentioning the ones I have potential issues with, the rest are fine).

Barbarian seems lame, and their HD being awesome isn't enough to make it seem less lame. Still, it's a small bonus on top of your epic stuff, so it's cool enough I guess?

Druid...I'm not actually sure how this works. Druid Wildshape, IIRC, defaults to letting you use all your class features; if the Epic Features are class features, the Druid can already apply all of them to their wildshape. If they're not class features, that's fine, just wanted to mention the issue so that it could be clarified.

Rogue should probably have their progression moved up a level (21st and every odd epic level) to keep it in line with non-epic, and considering the Fighter gets another Indomitable at 21st, I don't feel that moving this up to then is a huge issue.

Truesight: I wouldn't be opposed to making this repeatable in a similar way to the speed powers (although see my note about their improvement rate), although if that were the case I'd likely push for a lower starting distance, such as 20, 30, or 40, rather than 60.

Spell Mastery: I'm not sure how important this was to you, but it's worth mentioning that both Sorcerer and Wizard can get Cure Wounds on their spell list via UA stuff, making it not only usable with this feature, but with the actual Wizard class feature Spell Mastery. If UA is on the table, at-will Cure Wounds is available as soon as you gain Spell Mastery at 18th level, no homebrew necessary. I don't know if that changes your stance on the issue, though, I just feel that it's kinda weird limiting people's ability to cast a spell in its lowest level slot to people because they can cast Cure Wounds, but not when they can cast some powerful crap. Sure, "infinite healing", but it takes time to heal people up to full healing 1d8 at a time, particularly in epic, plus it's a cool trick for the cleric to visit a hospital and just spend the day healing all the sick. Of course, past 69th level it doesn't matter, because at that point you can cast Wish at-will, and that lets you duplicate lower-level spells of any list without forcing the 33% chance of getting no more wishes. I'm not saying infinite healing is a problem, I'm just saying that because Time is a resource you still have to spend to use it, it's not quite as infinite as it seems, and it's certainly not gonna be making a huge difference to combats when you're spending an action to cast a 1st lvl equivalent spell.

Energy Resilience: I would probably add Necrotic and Radiant to the list, but other than that it seems in line with the rest.

Epic Spellcasting: Perhaps if this gave a non-epic slot or two, as well? Give a bit more uses-per-day advancement to the spellcasters as things get to the really high levels? I dunno, hard to say if that'd be too much.

Transformation Of Wings/Transformation Of Fins/Astral Step: ...doubles? Distance is a real-world measurement, so we're not talking about "two doublings is a tripling" here, at least not by normal rules. I just wanna be clear: a 30th lvl character who takes Transformation of Wings for every single one of their Epic Tier features has a Fly Speed of 122880 ft. Is that...intentional? Beyond that, how does this change if you have a non-epic permanent flight source (as a few classes have, like Tempest Cleric or Dragon Sorcerer)?

Earth Glide: I think this should be an (R) and should work similarly to the above speed powers in terms of how multiple iterations stack.

I like this i might use another thing i found in addition.http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?412968-5e-Epic-Classes-%28levels-21-30%29

IIRC that particular homebrew has some balance issues (such as Paladins not getting anything the other epic classes don't also get until 30th lvl when they get Oathborn).

Sariel Vailo
2017-06-09, 10:13 AM
I just wanted more 9th level spells as some characters of mine.idont do much multiclassing but as for the homebrew i diddnt make either one
But if you wanted how would some one go about making these better