PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Choosing an undead template for a failed samurai

Matrota
2017-04-26, 05:12 PM
I was perusing this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482528-DM-s-Aid-Share-Your-Campaign-Plothook-and-Encounter-Ideas) as I'm going to be starting up a campaign for some new players recently, and I really liked the idea of this:

A samurai failed his liege lord and was unable to commit ritual suicide to atone his failure. He now wanders the countryside seeking a worthy opponent to destroy him and end his curse. The trail of bodies left behind him tells of his mounting frustration.

Redzimmer originally listed this as a death knight encounter, but I want to implement this earlier, and was thinking instead to make him a ghost. However, a ghost wouldn't have the physical attacks that make a samurai a samurai, instead having ethereal touch attacks and such. How should I go about making this a more balanced encounter for, say, level 5 players? What sort of undead would you recommend?

Deadline
2017-04-26, 05:24 PM
Redzimmer originally listed this as a death knight encounter, but I want to implement this earlier, and was thinking instead to make him a ghost. However, a ghost wouldn't have the physical attacks that make a samurai a samurai, instead having ethereal touch attacks and such. How should I go about making this a more balanced encounter for, say, level 5 players? What sort of undead would you recommend?

Hmm, a classed Wight wouldn't be terrible, but the create spawn ability isn't exactly in theme. Classed Ghoul or Ghast maybe, but again with the theme not quite feeling right. Maybe apply the Tainted Minion template?

Waker
2017-04-26, 05:25 PM
An important question to ask is how did he fail his lord and what was the ultimate cause of his death? Emotional state and the nature of how they died are important factors when determining the spontaneous generation of undead. As an example, an unrepentant murder who is executed by hanging can arise as a Morhg . Of course you could always choose an undead that you like first and tweak the backstory later.
I think a decent choice would be a Wight. Its an undead without a lot of bells and whistles nor is as gooey as some other undead. It has Energy Drain and the ability to create spawn, meaning he could end up cursing a whole slew of other samurai during his quest. Wights also have a bonus to Charisma, which compliments samurai abilities like Kiai Shout.

Matrota
2017-04-26, 05:46 PM
I think a decent choice would be a Wight. Its an undead without a lot of bells and whistles nor is as gooey as some other undead. It has Energy Drain and the ability to create spawn, meaning he could end up cursing a whole slew of other samurai during his quest. Wights also have a bonus to Charisma, which compliments samurai abilities like Kiai Shout.

Wight does seem like a great choice, allowing the samurai to retain his armor and weapon, using his preferred fighting style, and buffing him up some. Thanks for the advice! As to how he failed, I'm still fleshing it out. After all, that could be the next plot hook!

tedcahill2
2017-04-26, 05:52 PM
I was perusing this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482528-DM-s-Aid-Share-Your-Campaign-Plothook-and-Encounter-Ideas) as I'm going to be starting up a campaign for some new players recently, and I really liked the idea of this:

Couldn't the ghost samurai be wielding a ghost touch sword? Might be an interesting encounter if they have to face an incorporeal foe that can actually hit back.

Not sure if ghost touch actually works that way, but it would be cool.

Waker
2017-04-26, 06:11 PM
Wight does seem like a great choice, allowing the samurai to retain his armor and weapon, using his preferred fighting style, and buffing him up some. Thanks for the advice! As to how he failed, I'm still fleshing it out. After all, that could be the next plot hook!

If you do choose Wight, there are a few things to bear in mind. Hatred is the biggest motivator for them, it is the emotion that drives them more than anything else. Maybe make his lord demanding his suicide be something that was unjust? Or perhaps something/one prevented him from properly committing hara-kiri. Wights tend to favor Lawful Evil for their alignment. Racial modifiers are : +2 Str, Dex and Wis, +4 Cha, +4 Nat Armor, Create Spawn, Slam and Energy Drain.
I would recommend he be accompanied by some lesser wights. These wights were samurai who had failed to defeat him, serving in the event that challengers refuse to face him in single combat. This is important because unless the enemy is significantly stronger than the party, action economy will lead to him getting stomped on.

Rizban
2017-04-26, 06:23 PM
Since it's a Samurai, what about a Gaki from Oriental Adventures? Not a template, but you could add a couple of Samurai levels (or Ronin PrC levels!) if you want.

If you want something even more Oriental Adventures, there's always Samurai -> Maho-Bujin -> Akutsukai. That would probably get too powerful for what you're asking about though. An Akutsukai Samurai 3/Maho-Bujin 1 would be around CR 3 or 4.

Gildedragon
2017-04-26, 06:36 PM
A Mohrg feels good fluffwise.
Ghost is pretty appropriate... Maybe haunt-shifted into his armor

Coidzor
2017-04-26, 06:49 PM
Corpse Creature or Bone Creature (both Book of Vile Darkness, 3.5) or Skeletal Champion (www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/skeletal-champion-CR-1) or Zombie Lord (www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/zombie-lord/) slapped onto an appropriately leveled dude should be fine for the quick and dirty route.

Something like Revenant but without the specific murderer and avenging one's self part could work, too, possibly it could be shifted so that it has the usual bonuses when it is trying to accomplish a task specifically related to discharging its duty and letting it finally die.

Couldn't the ghost samurai be wielding a ghost touch sword? Might be an interesting encounter if they have to face an incorporeal foe that can actually hit back.

Not sure if ghost touch actually works that way, but it would be cool.

I believe a Ghost Touch Sword would mean that the ghost samurai would be incorporeal but have a physical sword that they could try to disarm him of and then use to whack him with.

Matrota
2017-04-26, 08:47 PM
Something like Revenant but without the specific murderer and avenging one's self part could work, too, possibly it could be shifted so that it has the usual bonuses when it is trying to accomplish a task specifically related to discharging its duty and letting it finally die.

Oooh, I like revenant even more. Thanks for all the advice y'all!

Lyndworm
2017-04-26, 09:48 PM
I believe a Ghost Touch Sword would mean that the ghost samurai would be incorporeal but have a physical sword that they could try to disarm him of and then use to whack him with.
Which ends the encounter with the samurai impaled on his own blade, just as he intended all those years ago.

I like this idea a lot. I may steal it at some point.

mabriss lethe
2017-04-26, 09:59 PM
Why not the Curst template from Lost Empires of Faerun?
you take a hit to all of your mental ability scores, but that can be made irrelevant with the right build

You gain:
-fast healing 1 (and the ability to return even from 0 HP)
-immunity to cold and fire
-immunity to turn/rebuke
-SR
- and a trait called Unkillable (Ex): The character can only be destroyed by a Remove Curse spell, or by completely destroying the body.