PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Fighter/Nomad build

danielxcutter
2017-04-26, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I've applied to an Elder Evils-themed game, and the DM said that Fighter/Nomad, entering into Slayer later was allowed. I'm going to be a psionic "gish", using my powers to enhance my physical abilities, but battlefield control and utility powers are also useful, and maybe a few direct damage powers won't be too bad(especially Baleful Teleport). And I'd like to add a little Incarnum as well - not much, just a few Incarnum feats and Shape Soulmeld.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?523043-3-5-Elder-Evil-Game&p=21955344#post21955344) is the recruitment thread.

DM says to aim for tier 3, but a well built lower tier or a high tier build that doesn't use all of it's potential is fine.

Here's what I've come up as a rough draft.

Build
Fighter 1: Power Attack, Able Learner, Shape Soulmeld(Bluesteel Bracers)
Nomad 1: Practiced Manifester
Nomad 2: Psicrystal Affinity(Nimble)
Nomad 3
Fighter 2: Improved Initiative

Powers
1st level: Vigor, Entangling Ectoplasm, Detect Psionics, Crystal Shard, Missive
2nd level: Control Sound, Share Pain

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-26, 08:00 PM
Shape Soulmeld (Bluesteel Bracers) doesn't strike me as worth it. It's basically half Improved Initiative (which I find overrated to start with) with maybe a little Weapon Specialization thrown in. I'd suggest grabbing something that grants a new capability, rather than a small numerical bonus-- Airstep Sandals, Enigma Helm, Mantle of Flame, Incarnate Weapon (maybe), or Blink Shirt are all good candidates. If you really want the offensive boost, Thunderstep Boots is probably your best bet.

danielxcutter
2017-04-26, 08:14 PM
Shape Soulmeld (Bluesteel Bracers) doesn't strike me as worth it. It's basically half Improved Initiative (which I find overrated to start with) with maybe a little Weapon Specialization thrown in. I'd suggest grabbing something that grants a new capability, rather than a small numerical bonus-- Airstep Sandals, Enigma Helm, Mantle of Flame, Incarnate Weapon (maybe), or Blink Shirt are all good candidates. If you really want the offensive boost, Thunderstep Boots is probably your best bet.

Yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind, not one that I thought was really that good.

Thunderstep Boots work on a charge, right? I'm not going for a charger build, so it's a little meh.

Incarnate Weapon: really? Even with the weapon group rules, I don't think I'm starving for a martial weapon.

Blink Shirt wouldn't be too bad if it didn't daze me and it needs the Totem bind for maximum effectiveness.

Mantle of Flame... what does that do again? Fire resistance? I think I can do that with Energy Adaption later on.

Enigma Helm... okay, I forget what that does.

Airstep Sandals are the ones that allow you to fly as long as you start and land on the ground, right?

What about Astral Vambraces? I'm considering grabbing Psionic Open X Chakra later.

And I plan to take a couple of Incarnum feats - which ones sound good? Except Psycarnum Infusion; that's a given.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-26, 08:52 PM
Incarnate Weapon: really? Even with the weapon group rules, I don't think I'm starving for a martial weapon.
Eh? If you're an Azurin or something, it's a free magic weapon. Soulknife-in-a-can, if you will.

Blink Shirt wouldn't be too bad if it didn't daze me and it needs the Totem bind for maximum effectiveness.
It's not fantastic for combat, but at-will teleport (even a short one) provides a lot of noncombat fun.

Mantle of Flame... what does that do again? Fire resistance? I think I can do that with Energy Adaption later on.
It burns anyone who comes at you in melee.

Enigma Helm... okay, I forget what that does.
Permanent nondetection. Good for stealthy builds.

Airstep Sandals are the ones that allow you to fly as long as you start and land on the ground, right?
Yep.

What about Astral Vambraces? I'm considering grabbing Psionic Open X Chakra later.
Fantastic at low levels but loses value pretty quickly because of how easy DR/Magic is to bypass. The Arms bind isn't worth it at the level you get it, either; 20ft flight is pretty underwhelming at 13th level, and everything else on the menu is worse. I wouldn't take it unless you can retrain.

And I plan to take a couple of Incarnum feats - which ones sound good? Except Psycarnum Infusion; that's a given.
Midnight Augmentation? Otherwise I think they're mostly crap.

danielxcutter
2017-04-26, 10:05 PM
Eh? If you're an Azurin or something, it's a free magic weapon. Soulknife-in-a-can, if you will.
Yeah, but we start at ECL 5. I think I can spare the cash. And I'm probably just going to go with vanilla human.

It's not fantastic for combat, but at-will teleport (even a short one) provides a lot of noncombat fun.
True, but I'm already going to be a Nomad. I don't think more teleportation will be that useful.

It burns anyone who comes at you in melee.
More useful than I thought, but fire resistance is common.

Permanent nondetection. Good for stealthy builds.
Erh... Not for me, then.

Yep.
These actually look tempting.

Fantastic at low levels but loses value pretty quickly because of how easy DR/Magic is to bypass. The Arms bind isn't worth it at the level you get it, either; 20ft flight is pretty underwhelming at 13th level, and everything else on the menu is worse. I wouldn't take it unless you can retrain.
I intend to get Psychic Reformation later, but I get your point.

Midnight Augmentation? Otherwise I think they're mostly crap.
Wasn't there a feat that granted extra Essentia if your Psicrystal was within arm's reach?

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-27, 09:57 AM
Wasn't there a feat that granted extra Essentia if your Psicrystal was within arm's reach?
There is, but it's bad. Most of the generic "Cobolt ____" type feats offer +1 Essentia and the opportunity to invest it for some irrelevant bonus; Psycarnum Crystal (I think was the name) just offers +1 Essentia with a condition. You're better off taking, oh, Cobolt Power and never using it for anything other than the bonus essentia-- at least that way it doesn't vanish. But if you're just taking a feat for essentia, Bonus Essentia is probably the better bet.

danielxcutter
2017-04-27, 10:02 AM
There is, but it's bad. Most of the generic "Cobolt ____" type feats offer +1 Essentia and the opportunity to invest it for some irrelevant bonus; Psycarnum Crystal (I think was the name) just offers +1 Essentia with a condition. You're better off taking, oh, Cobolt Power and never using it for anything other than the bonus essentia-- at least that way it doesn't vanish. But if you're just taking a feat for essentia, Bonus Essentia is probably the better bet.

M'kay.

Oh yeah, considering Shape Soulmeld: Shedu Crown. I'm not 100% sure if the DM will allow me to qualify for Mindsight with the bind, but telling Dungeoncrasher to f*ck it is pretty nice.