PDA

View Full Version : Glaives and dwarfs

Ohdin
2017-04-26, 11:44 PM
I have made a Shield Dwarf Paladin, however I would like to have him wielding a glaive and great sword(not at the same time). But I'm worried my DM will say no because of the size comparison. Is it possible for a dwarf to weild either of these two weapons?

Knaight
2017-04-26, 11:51 PM
I have made a Shield Dwarf Paladin, however I would like to have him wielding a glaive and great sword(not at the same time). But I'm worried my DM will say no because of the size comparison. Is it possible for a dwarf to weild either of these two weapons?

Dwarves are medium - they can use both of these.

Clone
2017-04-26, 11:51 PM
There isn't anything in the PHB to my knowledge which limits Dwarves from wielding anything that normal PC races can. Dwarves are only a little bit smaller than humans at about 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall. So there isn't any major restriction to be put in place besides their 25 foot movement speed. If your DM tries to limit you, they're being silly as Dwarves are great barbarians, fighters and paladins, all who use big weapons to squish things with.

Halflings and Gnomes, being usually 3 feet and 3 1/2 feet respectively, are considered small and so have disadvantage when using heavy weapons. Otherwise you can still play a naked Halfling barbarian with a greatsword larger than yourself, just with a slight disadvantage. But I'd probably give advantage on intimidation checks because I'd fear for my ankles far more against one of those than a Dragonborn.

Aett_Thorn
2017-04-27, 06:50 AM
There isn't anything in the PHB to my knowledge which limits Dwarves from wielding anything that normal PC races can. Dwarves are only a little bit smaller than humans at about 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall. So there isn't any major restriction to be put in place besides their 25 foot movement speed. If your DM tries to limit you, they're being silly as Dwarves are great barbarians, fighters and paladins, all who use big weapons to squish things with.

Halflings and Gnomes, being usually 3 feet and 3 1/2 feet respectively, are considered small and so have disadvantage when using heavy weapons. Otherwise you can still play a naked Halfling barbarian with a greatsword larger than yourself, just with a slight disadvantage. But I'd probably give advantage on intimidation checks because I'd fear for my ankles far more against one of those than a Dragonborn.

Basically, this.

Dwarves are a bit shorty, but they are very stocky and tend to be muscular. No reason they can't use any weapon they want with no trouble. If your DM gives you any gruff about it, show him the Lord of the Rings series. Gimli is shorter than the humans or elves, but wields an axe that is heavier than anything that they use with no problem.