PDA

View Full Version : Furthest You've Travelled

Totally Guy
2007-07-31, 06:23 AM
What's the furthest you've ever been from where you call home?

I went to South Africa one time, visited City Planners and architects in Johannesberg.

And to put it into context maybe we should include a start point... that would be from England.:smallsmile:

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-07-31, 06:28 AM
Alaska. Most of my mom's family lives up there. I love it.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-31, 06:31 AM
England to Japan. A long way.

zeratul
2007-07-31, 06:32 AM
T'was my trip from here, to Europe.

Dispozition
2007-07-31, 06:36 AM
Australia to England. That's almost half the globe...Almost

I'll be doing Australia to America the end of August, but that's not quite so far :(

Totally Guy
2007-07-31, 06:40 AM
Australia to England. That's almost half the globe...Almost

I'll be doing Australia to America the end of August, but that's not quite so far :(

Can't get much further than half the globe, after halfway you're coming back around.

Dispozition
2007-07-31, 06:46 AM
Can't get much further than half the globe, after halfway you're coming back around.

Well...I came back the same way I went over...So yeah...There's still half the globe I've never crossed...But America will fix half of that...

Castaras
2007-07-31, 07:01 AM
England to North France.

Interesting, eh?

Rawhide
2007-07-31, 07:07 AM
Home base: Australia
Visited in one trip: England, Thailand, Singapore, The Netherlands, Italy

Dhavaer
2007-07-31, 07:08 AM
Sydney to Las Vegas.

fryer1
2007-07-31, 07:09 AM
From England to the west coast of America. That was a 10 hour flight, which was quite fun, I watched about 3-4 films. Couldn't tell you which though.

Lord Herman
2007-07-31, 07:11 AM
From here (Deventer, the Netherlands) to Moscow.

Morty
2007-07-31, 07:14 AM
From southeastern Poland to Norway. Not quite long compared to what others here have done, I'm afraid.

Call Me Siggy
2007-07-31, 07:22 AM
Start:Chicago.

End:Either Beijing or Milan, whichever is farther. :/

adanedhel9
2007-07-31, 07:22 AM
Upper midwest of North America to Athens, Greece.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-31, 07:26 AM
as an adult...

London - Glasgow. :smallredface:

Serpentine
2007-07-31, 07:35 AM
Australia to... Australia.:smallfrown: Specifically north-eastern Victoria to north of Alice Springs in the NT. To be fair, if I did that in Europe, I could've covered several countries...

Renegade Paladin
2007-07-31, 07:36 AM
From the midwestern United States to England.

Mr Croup
2007-07-31, 08:09 AM
The longest distance was probably from my home of Atlanta, Georgia (in the south east U.S.) to Japan. Other long trips include from Atlanta to Hawaii, England, Ireland, Saudi Arabia, Greece, Egypt, and from England to Kenya. I've also been to the Netherlands, Czech Republic, Italy, and a few points in between, but those trips were based out of England. With in the U.S., I've also driven from Atlanta to the Grand Canyon.

Man, I miss traveling.

Charity
2007-07-31, 08:20 AM
The Furthest would be, England to Thailand.
I went to Egypt more recently, to visit an old friend before he moved to Oman, he has lived on every continent on earth except Antarctica... thats pretty impressive. I have merely visited three.

Do you know any Japanease Ikky?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-31, 08:27 AM
Georgia, USA to Ontario, Canada for me. Not a particularly lengthy trip, especially as was within a mile of the american border the whole time.

FireSpark
2007-07-31, 08:28 AM
If I were to assume that the Dallas / Ft. Worth area to my home base / point of origin, then the furthest I have been from it would be Alice Springs, NT, Australia.

I've also been to England, and then throw in a smattering of states within the USA (namely the south-east to central plains regions), and I've had a nice life of travel really.

AslanCross
2007-07-31, 08:41 AM
Manila to New York. The journey had several legs:
Manila to Singapore: 3 hours
Singapore to Kuala Lumpur: 1 Hour
KL to Stockholm: 12 hours
Stockholm to New York: 10 hours.

The trip back was even longer. Ugh.

Dragonrider
2007-07-31, 08:45 AM
West coast USA to China. The actual flight wasn't that bad, China is so far east it's west....we ended up spending 36 hours in travel, however, including nights in hotels (of which there were two). The flight back was closer to 48 hours because we were delayed in Tokyo and when we got to San Francisco, we'd missed our connecting flight. That was a joy.

I'm going to Israel in January. That may actually be "further" away. We get an overnight in Paris... :smallbiggrin: I've never been to Israel or France. The trip will bring my total of countries visited(/lived in) to 14.

Pepz
2007-07-31, 08:48 AM
from the netherlands to California would be the furthest :) Have gotten lost in the backstreets behind my house tho :D that was one long trip :smallbiggrin:

Arang
2007-07-31, 08:48 AM
Norway to Crete. All my world-hopping experiences since have been within Europe.

Portent
2007-07-31, 08:52 AM
Well, my starting point for travel pretty much my entire life has been Chicago, IL.

Back when I was kid, my mother had some family in Barranquila, Colombia, so we used to visit almost every summer. I think the last trip I had was in the summer of 1992 or somewhere in that vicinity.

More recently, from late May to early July, I visited Egypt on a study abroad trip that went from Alexandria down to the Nubian border. That was freaking awesome.

Hopefully, if one of these dang "Teach English in Japan/China" programs would actually accept me (going on five "We have decided not to offer you a position..." and yes I'm slightly bitter :smalltongue: ) I'll be able to visit good ol' China and Japan for the first time. That would be awesome.

Once I get into grad school, I hope to be able to travel internationally at least once every year.

Mephibosheth
2007-07-31, 09:46 AM
For me, the longest was Chicago, Illinois to Hyderabad, India. Took about 16 hours to fly from Chicago to Delhi (a distance of 7505.07 miles or 12078.22 km apparently) and another 30 or so to take the train from Delhi to Hyderabad. To be fair, it would have taken only about 2 hours to fly from Delhi to Hyderabad, but the train was infinitely more awesome.

Rykaj
2007-07-31, 10:06 AM
Netherlands to Lisbon, Portugal.
That or Croatia, not sure which is further.

I haven't been far, but in that small area I have seen alot.

Trog
2007-07-31, 10:17 AM
Homebase: Spooooooky Wisconsin
Traveled to: Atlanta, GA to visit sister-in-law
Traveled to: California to see Wally World. :smalltongue:

Driving for both. I have yet to fly commercially. :smallsigh:

Vonriel
2007-07-31, 11:15 AM
Let's see.. Pensacola, Florida to Portland, Oregon is the farthest I've traveled. I wanna leave the country too! :smallfrown:

MethodicalMeat
2007-07-31, 11:17 AM
Only as far as Mexico, although I do live in Alaska.

Ego Slayer
2007-07-31, 11:36 AM
Cleveland, Ohio to Iceland, Norway, and Sweden.

*Puts Von in a large box and marks it with a random European address and mails him*

ForzaFiori
2007-07-31, 11:39 AM
Upstate SC to NJ/NY or Upstate SC to the US Virgin Islands.

which ever of those is farther.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-31, 11:40 AM
Cleveland, Ohio to Iceland, Norway, and Sweden.

*Puts Von in a large box and marks it with a random European address and mails him*

*Recieves Von*

What are the chances?!

*Marks box "Defective materials" & sends back to Ego*

heh :smallamused:

Krade
2007-07-31, 11:52 AM
From Indiana to Oregon is the farthest I've ever travelled. Of course, as Serpentine said, travelling that far in Europe would have you crossing several countries, so it kinda compares. Never been out of the States. Though on my "I will eventually go to" agenda is most of Europe, S. Korea, Japan, and Thailand.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-07-31, 12:37 PM
Homebase: Cornwall, UK
Travelled to: Belgium/France. It was a history trip. The Somme. We covered most of it.
That trip was long; in the same coach, it was cramped but there was much to see, do and enjoy.:smallsmile: It wasn't far but it was good.

SweetLikeLemons
2007-07-31, 01:37 PM
The furthest I've ever travelled was from Minnesota to England.

However, when I went to Alaska, it was by car, so it seemed longer. Much, much longer...

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-07-31, 01:46 PM
From Minneapolis to Xi'an China on a band/orchestra tour of the country when I was a junior in high school.

Pyro
2007-07-31, 01:48 PM
It depends is Phoenix AZ farther from Atlanta than New York?

Amotis
2007-07-31, 01:59 PM
Cali to Hawaii.
Cali to Wash DC.

I'm deprived. :smallfrown:

Mr the Geoff
2007-07-31, 02:08 PM
Either London to LA or London to SF. I can't be bothered working out which city was furthest away.

On a related not, what's the shortest journey you've ever taken by Plane?

Mine is London Stanstead to Blackpool "international" airport (around 300 miles). Scary that is was cheaper to fly than drive or take the train.

London to Amsterdam comes in a close second though, but at least that was a different country.

Elanya
2007-07-31, 03:21 PM
From the Netherlands to New Zealand. Farthest I could go without coming closer again :)

Captain van der Decken
2007-07-31, 03:24 PM
Across the pond. Wales, to Ann Arbor.

Logic
2007-07-31, 03:39 PM
Home: West Coast United States.

Grand Prize Winner: To the Middle East
Runner Up: To Europe (Germany specifically)

sktarq
2007-07-31, 03:48 PM
"Homebase"-Southern California.
Farthest Trip-Primarily by Air got to the Red Sea (LA, London (insert some touring) to Florence, to Beruit, to Daboghi (SP?-French Somaliland), to the red sea)
By Boat - Big Island of Hawaii
By Car - Belize or Hudson bay not sure which one is farther
By Bike - less than 100ft
By Horse - Santa Barbara to Santa Cruz
By foot was a Scotish summer (from Wick to Oban to Inverness to Glasgow and finally to Lieth)

shortest flight-london sansed to heathrow - don't ask

Syka
2007-07-31, 03:53 PM
Homebase- Florida.

Farthest- California to the west, NYC to the north. Been to all states on the south border of the US on the way out west, and all along the Eastern Seaboard. Also Pennsylvania, Tennesse, West Virginia. I want to travel desperately, but my funds are lacking.

Shortest trip by plane- Florida to New Jersey. I've never flown anywhere else.

Cheers,
Syka

Midnight Son
2007-07-31, 04:19 PM
I've been from Northern Alaska to just south of Buenos Aires, Argentina in my travels, but I've never been outside the Americas(unless you count prenatal travel, in which case, I've been to Turkey and a few other European countries).

Vonriel
2007-07-31, 04:23 PM
Since the new thing is shortest trip by plane.. does it count if the trip was to where I'd be connecting to my next flight? Because, to fly from Louisville, Kentucky to Portland, OR, I had to first fly to Cincinnati. I think that may count as my shortest flight. :smalltongue: However, shortest flight beginning to end would've had to be Richmond, VA to Louisville, KY. Esh, I've flown too many times, I think.. :smallsigh:

Midnight Son
2007-07-31, 04:31 PM
Since the new thing is shortest trip by plane.. does it count if the trip was to where I'd be connecting to my next flight? Because, to fly from Louisville, Kentucky to Portland, OR, I had to first fly to Cincinnati. I think that may count as my shortest flight. :smalltongue: However, shortest flight beginning to end would've had to be Richmond, VA to Louisville, KY. Esh, I've flown too many times, I think.. :smallsigh:Is that shortest by commercial plane or bush plane. I flew from Juneau, AK, to Sitka, AK on commercial airlines. That's about 150 miles. By bush plane, I flew from Juneau to a cabin on Admiralty Island. That's no more than 50 miles, but is unreachable, except by boat or plane.

Jack Squat
2007-07-31, 04:46 PM
farthest I've gone is either Cincinnati, OH to Tacoma, WA or Knoxville, TN to somewhere in the Rivera Maya, about an hour drive south of Cancun.

I really need to travel more.

potatocubed
2007-07-31, 05:01 PM
From the UK to Arizona. On a whim. For a weekend.

I didn't realise how much trouble you can get into with customs for not carrying a suitcase. :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2007-07-31, 05:10 PM
I once (okay, twice) flew from Oklahoma to Oregon to Tokyo to Seoul.

By car I drove from Baltimore to Dallas to the Grand Canyon to Reno, then back one week later.

B-Man
2007-07-31, 05:15 PM
The furtherest I've travelled was from my hometown to Florida. The trip should've taken 2-3 days, but it took 3 weeks because the driver got lost... ALL THE TIME!! I was five at the time and we only ever made the right turns when I was awake, navigating.

Veg Sorbet
2007-07-31, 05:36 PM
From Devon (UK) to Scladming, Austria via Alsace (France) by car. Despite having said at the time that I never wanted to do it again, I'm now rather keen to, though I suspect my family will be less so, particularly my parents, who did all the driving and navigating last time.

Syka
2007-07-31, 05:41 PM
I guess I can see why customs wouldn't like you traveling without a suitcase...How'd you get out of that one? :smallwink:

I wish I had the money to go to England on a whim. Or anywhere on a whim, for that matter.

Cheers,
Syka

ZombieRockStar
2007-07-31, 05:42 PM
From Toronto to Managua, Nicaragua back in 2004. *wants to go back* Actually, we also went slightly further to the town of Grenada (about an hour south of Managua) and then to a beach on the Pacific, slightly to the west. But I'll just use Managua as the general destination.

Lemur
2007-07-31, 05:45 PM
Ohio to Australia, where I was subsequently ensared and devoured by giant spiders. No matter where you go, no one ever warns you about the giant spiders.

SurlySeraph
2007-07-31, 05:46 PM
New York (United States, duh) to St. Petersburg (Russia, not Florida).

Vespe Ratavo
2007-07-31, 05:51 PM
From Austin, TX to Las Vegas, Nevada, flight (on one occasion)
From Austin, TX to Orlando, Florida, driving both times (two occasions)

I'm too lazy to figure out which one is farther. Meh.

Eitel
2007-07-31, 05:57 PM
From London to San Francisco, never again. They're nuts in customs over there.

Dallas-Dakota
2007-07-31, 06:40 PM
From The Netherlands(zuid-holland) to Kreta, Greece.

Ted_Stryker
2007-07-31, 08:09 PM
Chicago - LA - Auckland - Christchurch - McMurdo - South Pole.

Also: San Diego - LA - Tokyo (return route was Tokyo - Honolulu - San Fran - San Diego, ugh), Minneapolis - LA - Taipei, Minneapolis - Toronto - Tel Aviv, Chicago - Frankfurt, Chicago - LA - Honolulu, San Diego - NYC, San Diego - Providence, San Diego - Salisbury, MD, San Diego - Seattle.

Shortest flight is probably Honolulu - Hilo, or possibly San Diego - LA.

ziratha
2007-07-31, 09:29 PM
I once went "outside". Didn't much care for it. Theres this big ball of fire in the sky, it burns.

EmeraldRose
2007-07-31, 09:37 PM
Well...furthest from Point A to Point B...that would have been from Hampton, VA, USA to Okinawa, Japan...for 2.5 years...then back again to Minneapolis, MN, USA.

Nightgaunt
2007-07-31, 09:45 PM
Well...furthest from Point A to Point B...that would have been from Hampton, VA, USA to Okinawa, Japan...for 2.5 years...

Now that is a long flight...

Furtherst trip? NYC, USA to Singapore, non-stop about 18 and a half hours.

It's still better then the connecting flights though, other choice would have been Newark - Deutchland - Hong Kong - Singapore. blech

SDF
2007-07-31, 09:55 PM
Farthest- I've gone from Boise to Nagasaki, and from International Falls to St. Lucia. I think the trip to Japan was longer... it had the longest continued flight to be sure, coming home from Tokyo to San Francisco I sat in the window seat next to a baby on a 24 hour flight. The baby was well behaved though, and I had the music of Number Girl to keep me company :P

Shortest trip by plane- Minneapolis to Brainard, was supposed to go home to International Falls, but there was a blizzard. Not counting my practice flights where I started and ended in the same place :P

EmeraldRose
2007-07-31, 10:01 PM
Now that is a long flight...

*snip*
:smallwink: Well...the flight itself was only around 24 hours or so...but still. VERY long flight! Especially since we came back with a 1 yr. old...

EDIT: (flight from San Francisco to Japan was 24 hours...VA to CA was....I don't remember now...let's just say I don't really want to do that again any time soon... :smalltongue: )

Hell Puppi
2007-07-31, 10:02 PM
Just Phx, az to germany. Only about 12 hrs. Pretty short in comparison to some here.

Vuzzmop
2007-08-01, 02:22 AM
My furthest trip was from Auckland, NZ, to Bangkok in Thailand.

Portent
2007-08-01, 02:43 AM
Let's see. Shortest trip by plane was a twenty five minute flight in Egypt. I don't remember where it started, but it ended just outside of Abu Simbel.

Archonic Energy
2007-08-01, 04:33 AM

Mine is London Stanstead to Blackpool "international" airport (around 300 miles). Scary that is was cheaper to fly than drive or take the train.

as an adult...

London - Glasgow. :smallredface:

heh. :smallamused:

both the shortest plane journey & the farthest i've been from home.
though technically if i had only taken a plane to austrailia then that'd be my shortest plane journey.

Alarra
2007-08-01, 04:47 AM
Probably Finland. I think that's farther away than anywhere else I've been in Europe.

Charity
2007-08-01, 05:47 AM
Either London to LA or London to SF. I can't be bothered working out which city was furthest away.

London to Amsterdam comes in a close second though, but at least that was a different country.

Distance between London, England, United Kingdom and Los Angeles, City of, California, United States, as the crow flies:
5456 miles (8781 km) (4741 nautical miles)

Distance between London, England, United Kingdom and San Francisco, California, United States, as the crow flies:
5371 miles (8645 km) (4668 nautical miles)

as it goes
Distance between London, England, United Kingdom and Blackpool, England, United Kingdom, as the crow flies:
200 miles (321 km) (173 nautical miles)

Maroon
2007-08-01, 06:16 AM
Eindhoven, The Netherlands, to Rome, Italy, by plane. I've also been to the UK by ferry and to Belgium by car.

KuReshtin
2007-08-01, 02:49 PM
Furthest away from my home town in Sweden is New Orleans, LA, USA.
Itinerary went something like this:

Car from home to Malmo, Sweden, bus/boat to Copenhagen intl airport, Denmark, flight to London Heathrow, flight to St. Louis, MS, USA, flight to Nashville, TN, car to Cokeville, TN, car to Raleigh, NC, Car to Myrtle Beach, NC, car to Gainesville, GA, car to New Orleans, LA.

Way back was car from New Orleans to Charlotte, NC, car back to New Orleans, flight to New Jersey (Newark) bus to New York, NY, flight from NYC (JFK) to London Heathrow, flight to Copenhagen, Denmark, boat to Malmö, Sweden, then car back home again. All in about 3½ weeks.

Shortest flight was probably from Glasgow International airport to Edinburgh international airport. That took about 15 minutes. However, I never left the plane at Edinburgh as that was a short stop on the way to Copenhagen, Denmark.

Sir_Norbert
2007-08-03, 10:12 AM
I've travelled from the UK to Australia to spend time with my previous girlfriend and to California to spend time with my current one :D

Chaos Perfected
2007-08-03, 11:05 AM
Furthest? Either to Georgia or Kentucky in the US.

I live in South Carolina.

I need to get out more. ;-;

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-03, 12:06 PM
From Greece (my country) to Connecticut, USA.
Stayed in the States for 20 days.
I visited NYC, Boston, Niagara Falls.
I am a bit dissapointed of my travel there.
I expected NYC to be more elegant (as in the movies) but apparently Manhattan is not that big and many people live in the poor areas.
I wanted to see some more american countryside (the rivers the deers and all that) but we didn't have time..
I was on the World Trade Center on August of 2001.
I didn't like the way some people were thinking, but I met some wonderful people too.
And I met Danny. I fell in love with him. I was his girlfriend 2 weeks or so, and I still remember him, although 6 years have passed. :smallredface: Never saw/ heard of him again

Telonius
2007-08-03, 12:20 PM
Longest: From Erie, PA, to Eisenach, Germany. (I was staying in a little town near Kassel, but went to Eisenach to see the Wartburg).

Shortest by plane: Erie, PA, to Detroit.

Earthstar_Fungus
2007-08-03, 07:07 PM
Point A: Tampa, Florida, USA
Point B: Shanghai, China

Tor the Fallen
2007-08-04, 12:46 AM
Distancewise: Probably Alaska to Tasmania.
Culture & environmentwise: Alaska to Indonesia.

Hell Puppi
2007-08-04, 01:31 AM
Hm it's kinda sad to think how much of America is ghetto now...as in we're considered 'in the ghettoes'.
I didn't think where I lived was that bad until someone else from another state described it -_-;;

Note: was in response to Rouge's post

Tor the Fallen
2007-08-04, 02:03 AM
Hm it's kinda sad to think how much of America is ghetto now...as in we're considered 'in the ghettoes'.
I didn't think where I lived was that bad until someone else from another state described it -_-;;

Note: was in response to Rouge's post

Yeah, sort of a bummer. There's a growing divide between rich and poor. Most of the GDP growth we've seen has really only benefited the wealthiest. Worker productivity has been climbing, but wages haven't. The middle class is losing out pretty hard. Combine that with the burst of the housing market, and many families' main asset, their house, suddenly losing value (get this- some people actually owe more on their house than it's actually worth!), and you get growing low income districts. Then, of course, there's also the high rate of immigration from Latin America to some areas, which also tends to create low income districts.

Ceres
2007-08-04, 01:21 PM
New Zealand. Closest you can get to the other side of the world from Norway. Also, when I returned, I went around the other side of the globe, so I went full circle around the earth :smallbiggrin:

I was seven then. Good times.

Spartan_Samuel
2007-08-04, 01:37 PM
My visitation time I spent over Spring Break this year was in Ireland. Never has one student suffered more torment! A collective of eighteen hours sitting between TWO of your own teachers. <o>.<o>

Dronin
2007-08-04, 02:08 PM
Look at my Location
Made the trip from Georgia to Iraq or the other way 5 times.
with stops in Germany, Ireland, or Spain
each time took from 20-26hrs FUN!!
especially on a military cramped plane

Edit: thats Georgia USA

Andre Fairchilde
2007-08-04, 02:16 PM
Born in Ohio, moved to Minnesota. Enlisted and have traveled to Okinawa via South Korea.

Thiel
2007-08-05, 07:32 PM
Longest trip: Aalborg, Denmark - Canari Islands
Shortest trip by plane: Aalborg, Denmark - Thirstrup, Denmark about 100-120 km.
Longest trip by boat: Aarhus, Denmark - Tallinn, Estonia. Took seven days.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-05, 07:35 PM
Eugene, Oregon, USA to Warwick, England.

Wonderpus
2007-08-05, 07:37 PM
From the U.S. to the South Pole (I work on a physics experiment there), through New Zealand. There are some long legs, especially if you "boomerang" on the way from Christchurch, NZ to McMurdo Station, Antarctica -- having to turn around because of bad weather and try again the next day!

I hope to go back this winter / austral summer. Antarctica is an amazing place.

SDF
2007-08-05, 07:39 PM
Eugene, Oregon, USA to Warwick, England.

I have to ask why you went to Eugene of all places.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-05, 07:41 PM
I have to ask why you went to Eugene of all places.

Because I was born in Medford and spent the better part of my adolescence raised in Eugene, which I consider to be my hometown, and it's a place I really enjoy being?

SDF
2007-08-05, 08:00 PM
Okay, it just seemed like a completely random place to go if you were just visiting the US.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-05, 08:08 PM
Okay, it just seemed like a completely random place to go if you were just visiting the US.

No, no, I lived in Oregon for the first 17 years of my life. :P

TheThan
2007-08-05, 08:40 PM
Farthest distance by flight: California to Tennessee
Shortest flight: Atlanta Georgia to Chattanooga Tennessee

And boy were my arms tired!

Nagrom
2007-09-04, 10:29 AM
Plane
New Jersey to Iceland
Iceland to England
Georgia to Germany
Germany to Kosovo
Germany to Kuwait

Road
Florida to California
California to Virginia

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-09-04, 02:12 PM
I've been from Bloomington, MN (home) to Xi'an China, which is approximately 6,750 miles.

Auramun
2007-09-08, 09:09 PM
Plane:
Washington to South Korea
Japan to Washington
Maryland to Germany
Iceland to Kuwait
Ireland to Kuwait
Georgia to California

Car:
Arkansas to California
Georgia to Arkansas

tannish2
2007-09-10, 03:54 PM
northern CA to hell, my grandmother called it alabama.

wxdruid
2007-09-11, 09:23 AM
The farthest.... From Kansas to Qatar (Arabian sea)

From Illinois to Iraq.... for the same reason, the military sent me...

GenLee
2007-09-11, 09:43 AM
Longest trip: Columbus, Ohio to Moscow and Leningrad (which is now St. Petersburg, so I can say I've been to a city that doesn't exist).

Longest driving trip: Columbus to Monterey, CA, via Chicago and Wisconsin. I drove the whole thing.

Shortest flight: Columbus to Dayton, 50 miles or so. Once this took over 3 hours, since we had to orbit Pittsburgh (~150 miles the other way) to avoid a tornado.

Weirdest flight experience: flying from London to Berlin in a Boeing-built plane, the inflight movie was "Memphis Belle"-- about a bunch of Americans flying to Germany in bombers built by Boeing. It was still a much nicer flight than the one to Dayton.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-09-11, 10:04 AM
The farthest I've travelled by plane is from Toronto to Hong Kong, which is close to being on the exact opposite side of the world. Travel time was 25 hours, including two layovers.

The farthest I've travelled by car is from Toronto to Montreal. That was an 8 hour trip, if I remember correctly (I was only 10 when we did this).

Wraithy
2007-09-11, 10:16 AM
By Plane-
longest: Uk to Cuba, worth it.
Shortest: Uk to Paris, not worth it, better to get the eurostar.

By foot-
not far