PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I survived my first experience DMing (and had fun)

nickl_2000
2017-04-27, 08:57 AM
I had my first ever experience DMing last night and I survived. The adventure went fairly well and I didn't break it to much. Nothing went perfectly, for example the PCs didn't get my hint to leave the BBEG''s lieutenant alone when they were only first level and not very well equipped (instead shooting a cross bow at a very large Knight dressed in full plate). I wish I had covered the results of the interaction a little bit better when he decided not to attack them and make his guards do it instead (I didn't want a TPK immediately, and definitely didn't want PCs getting a hold of a set of Full Plate this early on).

Still they said they enjoyed it, and especially enjoyed the low resource aspect I wrote into the campaign. Also we got some unique solutions to a problem. One goblin PC ended up throw excrement out of a bucket at the guards to get their attention and get them to open the door. He ended up pinned to the door with a grapple while another guard beat on him with a club. Still the door was opened like they planned.

So, thanks to everyone for all the help on here old threads that are buried and newer ones you helped me with recently.

TL:DR Enjoyed myself, Players had fun, PC Goblin threw Poo, 9/10 would do again

MrFahrenheit
2017-04-27, 09:01 AM
First rule of DMing: having fun is the most important aspect. Rules be damned if it means everyone enjoys thenseves. Sounds like you achieved that, so congrats!

Don't worry about the low resource aspect - IMO, it is entirely possible to DM all of 5e with characters who have nothing more than their starting gear.

nickl_2000
2017-04-27, 09:05 AM
First rule of DMing: having fun is the most important aspect. Rules be damned if it means everyone enjoys thenseves. Sounds like you achieved that, so congrats!

Don't worry about the low resource aspect - IMO, it is entirely possible to DM all of 5e with characters who have nothing more than their starting gear.

The point of the campaign I wrote is planned to be low resource. Making the PC not have optimized characters. I had one battle where a MTG Vampire was going attempting to grapple and drink the blood of a guard while the other PCs had moved on. After 3 rounds of back and forth where nothing was accomplished I killed the encounter and let the Vampire succeed since I saw it getting boring quickly.