PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder Mythic rules question - Steal Power Spell

Barstro
2017-04-27, 09:31 AM
CASTING
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S

EFFECTS
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target one mythic creature
Duration instantaneous

Saving Throw Will negates; Spell Resistance yes

DESCRIPTION
You sap the power from a mythic creature, using it to restore your own. the target loses 1d4 uses of mythic power. If you have the ability to expend mythic power, you regain one use for each use the target loses.

Emphasis added

How does a PC cast this spell? According to the rules for Mythic Magic;

Casting Mythic Spells: If you know the mythic version of a spell, any time you cast the spell, you may expend one use of mythic power to convert the spell into its mythic version as you cast it.
But, that seems to cover only "normal" spells that can be enhanced with Mythic Power.

My main concern is trying to take these two statements together;
"you may expend one use of mythic power to convert the spell into its mythic version as you cast it." and
"If you have the ability to expend mythic power, you regain one use for each use the target loses."

If the cost to cast Steal Power in the first place is a spell slot and a Mythic Power (which makes sense), then there is no need for that final sentence in the spell description.

Is Steal Power just a normal Level 5 spell that is called "Mythic" simply because it has use only if the game takes place in a Mythic setting? Or is it a Mythic spell and requires a Mythic Power to cast?

Thanks

Shadowquad
2017-04-27, 09:59 AM
This is what the pfsrd says about mythic spells (emphasis mine) :

Mythic spells draw upon the caster’s mythic power to create more powerful magical effects-mythic fireball sets affected creatures on fire, mythic mage armor can negate critical hits, and so on. These spells aren’t separate spells you gain as a spell known from your spellcasting class, but rather mythically charged versions of spells you already know.

Ensues a long definition of how to acquire and cast mythic spells here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-magic/).

By this definition, and despite the fact that Steal Power is indeed listed under "Mythic Spells", it seems that it is a regular spell for purposes of learning and casting, as it does not have a regular non-mythic version.

The case of Restore Mythic Power (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-magic/mythic-spells/restore-mythic-power/) is similar, though it doesn't have any effect if its caster can't spend Mythic Power.

Barstro
2017-04-27, 10:18 AM
it seems that it is a regular spell for purposes of learning and casting, as it does not have a regular non-mythic version.
Glad I'm not crazy for concluding that is the RAW of it.

Still seems wrong.:smallwink:
And it changes my spell selections.

Shadowquad
2017-04-27, 10:33 AM
It especially seems wrong because most spells listed under "Mythic Spells" are not mythic spells according to the aforementioned definition ; however, "Augmented Spells" fit exactly the definition.

I don't know how familiar you are with mythic rules, but I think they are rather poorly edited and thought out as a whole (and don't even get me started on legendary items).

By the way, if you're struggling with spell selection, you'll definitely want a Ring of Transcendent spells at some point. That thing is truly insane.

Barstro
2017-04-27, 10:41 AM
It especially seems wrong because most spells listed under "Mythic Spells" are not mythic spells according to the aforementioned definition ; however, "Augmented Spells" fit exactly the definition.

Most of the spells listed there have "normal" versions that can be cast as a Mythic version for the additional cost of a Mythic Point. Haste is especially nice.

Augmented spells can be even stronger, but cost Mythic Points over and above the initial one used to make it Mythic in the first place.

EDIT: interesting ring. So far, my character has better uses for Mythic Power than spending 3-19 just to cast a single spell.

Hunter Noventa
2017-04-27, 10:57 AM
Most of the spells listed there have "normal" versions that can be cast as a Mythic version for the additional cost of a Mythic Point. Haste is especially nice.

Augmented spells can be even stronger, but cost Mythic Points over and above the initial one used to make it Mythic in the first place.

EDIT: interesting ring. So far, my character has better uses for Mythic Power than spending 3-19 just to cast a single spell.

Also, technically, the 'Mythic Spellpower' ability lets you cast a mythic spell as augmented as you can make it without using any mythic power at all, 2 times a day for each time you take the ability. It simply says 'without using mythic power' not 'using a number of uses of mythic spellpower equal to those used to cast the mythic spell'

Unless there is some errata I'm not familiar with.

Shadowquad
2017-04-27, 11:04 AM
Haste is nice, yes. In the campaign I've been playing, my Archmage has also extensively used Heroism ( the bonus applies to ALL checks, including CL checks for instance ), fire snake, contingency, cloudkill and augmented limited wish for an all-purpose panic button.

If you have not read it yet, you should definitely take a look at CTP's Guide to Mythic Adventures (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?316045-PF-CTP-s-Guide-to-Mythic-Adventures)

Edit : There is indeed support for your interpretation Hunter Noventa, as the other reading would make it strictly worse than Extra Mythic Power, which is a universal path ability

Barstro
2017-04-27, 12:24 PM
Also, technically, the 'Mythic Spellpower' ability lets you cast a mythic spell as augmented as you can make it without using any mythic power at all, 2 times a day for each time you take the ability. It simply says 'without using mythic power' not 'using a number of uses of mythic spellpower equal to those used to cast the mythic spell'

Unless there is some errata I'm not familiar with.

I'd say you can only "cast" it, not "augment" it. But I do agree that the wording is vague and agree with Shadowquad's statement. The only way I can come up with that my interpretation is better than "Extra Mythic Power" is that a character could still cast a spell after my character drains him of all MP through the spell that is the topic of this thread.