PDA

View Full Version : Flanking familiars?

Shadowbane13
2017-04-27, 04:32 PM
So I have a rogue that went arcane trickster and one of the spells I picked up was find familiar. I took a celestial owl (mostly for scouting help) and I was just wondering if it could actually be used in combat to flank an enemy to give me sneak attack. According to the sneak attack definition in the PH I just need and enemy of my target adjacent to my target to gain sneak attack. Seeing that the familiar can attack and posses it's own turn would it qualify to grant me the bonus? I was saying yes but another player in my group doesn't think it'd count.

Flashy
2017-04-27, 04:35 PM
The familiar cannot attack. It's in the text of the spell. The only exception is for chain pact Warlocks.

That being said it can take the Help action, which would grant you advantage on your next attack roll (which also qualifies you for Sneak Attack).

mephnick
2017-04-27, 05:21 PM
Be ready for the DM to smack that thing out of the sky after a round or two though

Shadowbane13
2017-05-01, 07:07 AM
Yeah my DM already said the thing will be dead if it poses a threat. But it will be more of a scout for me as opposed to flanking/advantage bonus. That's gonna be more last resort.

Beelzebubba
2017-05-01, 07:29 AM
10gp for one or two rolls at Advantage, takes an hour to replace. Sounds like a good investment if it saves your butt every once in a while. :smallcool: