PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Monk progression thoughts? (somewhere between rules and roleplaying)

polymphus
2017-04-27, 06:40 PM
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to 5e and totally new to monks, and I'm playing one in my current campaign. I've read over the guides and they've been pretty helpful but I'm still stuck on a few issues re levelling. I'm currently level 2, nearing 3 and eyeing up the different monastic traditions.

I'm less concerned about being ***optimal*** than playing to character. My (kenku) monk is more of a Dolemite/Last Dragon/Luke Cage blaxplotation kung-fu superhero than your traditional buddhist monk type. He's a former swindler who was framed for a crime he didn't commit and now he's trying to live an honest life, but his past keeps coming back to haunt him.

The emotional arc I'm going for is somebody who initially runs from their past and their flaws, but learns in time to embrace them.

I rolled crazy-well on stats, with DEX 20 and WIS 19. The only downside is CON 8 which is already proving to be a huge liability.

Right now I'm really enjoying the monk's mobility and versatility: you can switch from frontline tank to punching the enemy backline at the drop of a hat. I'm less concerned with single-target damage than I am with adding new things to my toolbox.

Which tradition do you guys think I should be looking into? I like the look of Shadow for movement, but I'm not sure how often there's gonna be correct light conditions. Long Death looks like it could be useful for mitigating my low HP but it doesn't really feel in-character. The DM agreed that Kensei Weapons = Monk Weapons for Way of the Kensei, which could definitely lead to some cool kung-fu situations.

Additionally, I'm considering multiclassing (probably a 2-3 dip) and I'm not sure what to do. I considered Light Cleric (combine with Shadow Monk, play up the Light/Dark thing) or Rogue (he is kinda roguish after all) but Cunning Action feels a little redundant with Step of the Wind and fists can't sneak attack.

Where do you guys think I should go with this? I'm trying to find a balance between gameplay and roleplay decisions, and I'm torn in a bunch of different directions. I'm also pretty inexperienced with 5e and feel like I probably missed some important details here and there.

Specter
2017-04-27, 09:58 PM
If you have 13 in STR, a Barbarian dip can help with that sad CON. At least as much as melee goes.

But rogue is fine, especially with Shadow Monk: Cunning Action is essentially some free monk abilities and more.

Malifice
2017-04-27, 10:12 PM
Additionally, I'm considering multiclassing (probably a 2-3 dip) and I'm not sure what to do. I considered Light Cleric (combine with Shadow Monk, play up the Light/Dark thing) or Rogue (he is kinda roguish after all) but Cunning Action feels a little redundant with Step of the Wind and fists can't sneak attack.

Do not, under any circumstance, multiclass till after you hit 5th level in Monk.

Extra attack and stunning fist are game changing abilities. One of those abilities alone make MCing before 5th level a bad idea, but delaying both of them is foolish in the extreme.

Re sneak attack, use a Wakazashi (refluffed shortsword). Its a finesse + monk weapon, and you can sneak attack with it just fine.

polymphus
2017-04-27, 11:16 PM
Yeah I was gonna leave MCing to 6 for most archetypes, or 7 if I take Shadow -- I want that shadow step so bad. Probably dip 1, grab monk 6/7, dip 2, then back to Monk levels for the foreseeable future.

Lombra
2017-04-28, 01:13 AM
Shadow step is amazing: it's a free disengage and a free way to free yourself from restrains like grapples or webs. Shadow arts are useful mainly for pass without trace which basically means that your party can go unnoticed. Remember that shadow step doesn't require a surface, just an area of dim light or darkness, this means that you can teleport up to 60ft in the air for example. Shadow also mitigates the low CON because of how you should play the character (less of a brawler, more like a rogue) my group and I are currently in the feywild and since it's always sunset it means that it's dim light everywhere, free shadow step!

PS: my monk has 13 con, but how do you have 8? Are the other stats really below 8?

polymphus
2017-04-28, 02:32 AM
Stats were random: roll 3d6. We were allowed to reroll all or nothing, and I wasn't gonna reroll triple-6s on DEX and WIS.

Throw the +2 DEX/+1 WIS from Kenku on my rolls and I got this:

STR: 12
DEX: 20
CON: 8
INT: 13
WIS: 19
CHA: 10

Also I didn't understand how important CON was this edition and thought the high AC would mitigate it. I got taken to 0HP twice in our first encounter (got crit right in the face, paladin got me up, immediately got crit again) and now I'm deeply worried.

Lombra
2017-04-28, 04:13 AM
Stats were random: roll 3d6. We were allowed to reroll all or nothing, and I wasn't gonna reroll triple-6s on DEX and WIS.

Also I didn't understand how important CON was this edition and thought the high AC would mitigate it. I got taken to 0HP twice in our first encounter (got crit right in the face, paladin got me up, immediately got crit again) and now I'm deeply worried.

That's a hell of a good array. 8 CON stinks, if I were you I would have put 13 in CON, 10 INT and 8 CHA. I know that an 8 in charisma breaks some roleplay feel, but you can always dip rogue to expertise a charisma ability. On the positive side is that you can easily take the tough feat and be good with HPs, you can take pretty much only feats, you are gonna be very strong beyond 4th level. At 8th you could pick an half feat that gives you +1 wisdom and there you have it, the ultimate monk character. You can also go and pick dual wielder to get 21 AC wearing nothing but your skin and wielding two weapons.

TL;DR: pick tough at 4, rogue dip isn't necessary, the first 10 levels of monk are all cool and I don't really like dalaying any of them.

Edit: mobile also increases survivability, in the sense that you can retreat for free after striking the enemies.

Mhl7
2017-04-28, 04:44 AM

I am not sure: did you choose how to distribute your results, or you had to stick with them? In the former case, I would ask the DM to swap CON for STR or INT, even CHA would be better than nothing.

That being said, I advise you take Tough at lvl 4 as your feat. It counts as a +4 to CON as far as Hp is concerned.

The advise to stick with monk for a while is a good one. Stay there at least for the first 5 levels.

For the subclass: they are all pretty viable. It seems that you like the Shadow Monk. I say go for it, there is not mechanical downside in choosing it.

D.U.P.A.
2017-04-28, 07:10 AM
Alternatively you can go more spellcasty ranged monk, like Sun soul or 4 elements.

Specter
2017-04-28, 08:15 AM

When the going gets tough, don't be afraid to use Step of the Wind to disengage and let the paladin tank. Another good strategy is to focus on archers/casters so you don't wear yourself out too quickly.