PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Damage Reduction rules question

rel
2017-04-27, 10:38 PM
I was looking through the SRD as you do and I noticed this line in the Damage reduction rules

Damage reduction does not negate touch attacks, energy damage dealt along with an attack, or energy drains.

emphasis added.

Does this mean that turning your attack into a touch attack via an effect like Emerald Razor or Wraith Strike bypasses any DR the target may have?

bekeleven
2017-04-27, 10:40 PM
There's a rule that says "If the DR stops all the damage from a poisoned blade you don't get poisoned."

The rule you quoted is just pointing out that the same is not true for casting inflict on someone.

Inevitability
2017-04-28, 01:22 AM
The rule you quoted is just pointing out that the same is not true for casting inflict on someone.

Could you back that up with a citation?

Necroticplague
2017-04-28, 07:34 AM
I was looking through the SRD as you do and I noticed this line in the Damage reduction rules

emphasis added.

Does this mean that turning your attack into a touch attack via an effect like Emerald Razor or Wraith Strike bypasses any DR the target may have?
No. It says it doesn't negate them, not that it doesn't reduce them. In context with the rest of that sentence (i.e, mentioning energy drain riders), it's an indication that 'this can stop damage from attacks, but not the riders if they hit'. So even if your DR reduces a punch to 0 damage, it doesn't stop the Inflict Wounds it's carrying.

Elkad
2017-04-28, 08:32 AM
DR and resistance are worded terribly throughout the rules.

They should have skipped the whole "bypasses DR" thing and just listed them separately as reductions to a damage type.

So a Skeleton would have

Resistances.
Slash=5
Blunt=0
Pierce=5
Fire=0
Cold=∞
Electricity=0
Force=0

You could leave the zeros off in the interest of brevity.