PDA

View Full Version : List of good Craft Contingencies for a Warlock

Nebuul
2017-04-28, 02:55 AM
What are some good contingency spells to hold onto as a Warlock? You can have up to 1/hd of your character:

When someone is casting a targeted Dispel Magic or Greater Dispel Magic at you, cast Spell Turning
When someone is casting an area Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel Magic, or Mordenkainen's Disjunction that will hit you, cast Dimension Door out of the area
When you are below 25% health, cast Heal
When you die, cast Last Breath
When you are at negative hit points, cast Heal
When you have been dead for more than a round or when you yell out "EMERGENCY EXIT," cast Word of Recall 1 round later (the 1 round delay gives allies a chance to touch you to take advantage)
When you have been dead for more than 2 rounds, cast True Resurrection
When affected by an ailment that can be cured with Greater Restoration but not Lesser Restoration nor Restoration, cast Greater Restoration
When affected by an ailment that can be cured with Restoration but not Lesser Restoration, cast Restoration
When affected by ability point damage that can be cured by Lesser Restoration, cast Lesser Restoration
When engaged by a spellcaster of at least 75% your level, cast silence on yourself
When engaged by a spellcaster of at least 75% your level and you have Silence cast on you, cast dimension door to their location
When afflicted with a curse, cast Remove Curse

What are some other good ones? I'm sure there are some terrific polymorph/etc. ones.

Uncle Pine
2017-04-28, 03:12 AM
15. When I move my lips to say "Bamboozled", cast Celerity, Greater. (speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn't your turn)
16. When I move my lips to say "Bamboozled again", cast Celerity, Greater. (speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn't your turn)
17. When I move my lips to say "Bamboozled again" and #16 is already discharged, cast Celerity, Greater. (speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn't your turn)
And so on.

Nebuul
2017-04-28, 07:42 PM
15. When I move my lips to say "Bamboozled", cast Celerity, Greater. (speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn't your turn)
16. When I move my lips to say "Bamboozled again", cast Celerity, Greater. (speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn't your turn)
17. When I move my lips to say "Bamboozled again" and #16 is already discharged, cast Celerity, Greater. (speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn't your turn)
And so on.

If you are going to go with a level 8 spell that dazes you the following round, why not just go full time stop which is more effective and has no penalties for just +2 caster levels?

flappeercraft
2017-04-28, 07:50 PM
If you are going to go with a level 8 spell that dazes you the following round, why not just go full time stop which is more effective and has no penalties for just +2 caster levels?

Because time stop stops you from doing any targetted spell or attack which the celerity line does not. Also, the daze is easy to negate

Uncle Pine
2017-04-29, 03:27 AM
Because you want to kill or otherwise incapacitate your opponents during the extra rounds you get, which you can't do if they're invulnerable to all your attacks and you can't target them. You can get immunity to daze through various methods such as Favour of the Martyr (spell) and Quick Recovery (feat).
If you don't actually need to take move/full-round actions, you could also save up some gold pieces and use Celerity instead of Celerity, Greater for your contingencies.

Nebuul
2017-04-29, 11:25 AM
So one of the contingencies should be favour of the martyr :smallbiggrin:

flappeercraft
2017-04-29, 12:21 PM

Well, yes basically

Some DM's also allow Freedom of movement to work so if your DM is one of those that would be better as its cheaper to craft into a contingent

Uncle Pine
2017-04-29, 12:44 PM
Favour of the martyr is usually better off as a continuous item, but if you can't get that it's a useful contingency to trigger before getting your other 15 or so extra rounds from celerities.