PDA

View Full Version : Skill points

BananaNomNom
2017-04-28, 07:08 AM
When you attain a level you get skill points based on your class + intel mod. If you increase your int mod do previous level skill points increase?

Vizzerdrix
2017-04-28, 07:13 AM
Nope. This should be mentioned in either the skills or int section. Or maybe the chapter on gaining levels.

Uncle Pine
2017-04-28, 07:22 AM
It's right at the end of The Basics (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm):

When an ability score changes, all attributes associated with that score change accordingly. A character does not retroactively get additional skill points for previous levels if she increases her intelligence.

Elkad
2017-04-28, 07:31 AM
That rule is annoying as hell.

My houserule is retroactive skill points, no points for int-boosting items.

martixy
2017-04-28, 09:39 AM

That's kind of the sensible approach. Mine as well.

Pathfinder does good with the skill system in this regard(and others - such as eliminating the notion the amount of skill points from your first class level should somehow matter more than subsequent levels).

Ellrin
2017-04-28, 01:01 PM
When you attain a level you get skill points based on your class + intel mod. If you increase your int mod do previous level skill points increase?

3E/3.5: No.
Pathfinder: Yes.

Not sure about any other variations on the d20 system.

ViperMagnum357
2017-04-28, 01:25 PM
In 3.5 True Dragons get retroactive skill points, but that is a specific rule for them in the Draconomicon, and a result of how they advance-they get racial HD in bundles for each age category, along with a host of other abilities like improved SR, natural AC, spellcasting levels, and improvements to all of their ability scores sans Dexterity.

KillianHawkeye
2017-04-28, 01:56 PM
In 3.5 True Dragons get retroactive skill points, but that is a specific rule for them in the Draconomicon, and a result of how they advance-they get racial HD in bundles for each age category, along with a host of other abilities like improved SR, natural AC, spellcasting levels, and improvements to all of their ability scores sans Dexterity.

This only applies to the Intelligence they gain from changing age categories, not to any increases they may get for gaining every fourth Hit Die, nor for any other improvements to their Int score from acquired templates or other permanent sources.

Maximum Carnage
2017-04-28, 03:12 PM
No, it's not retroactive, but if you're a human, you're not missing out on many skill points :D

ViperMagnum357
2017-04-28, 04:26 PM
Right, should have clarified-True Dragons only get the retroactive skill points from age category increases. Still, the only 3.5 exception I can think of off hand.

Uncle Pine
2017-04-28, 05:58 PM
If you go back in time using any of the available means (i.e. the Teleport Through Time spell) and permanently increase someone's Intelligence score with tomes or wishes, does the future self of that character retroactively gain skill points?

Crake
2017-04-28, 06:45 PM

Worth noting that pathfinder actually did grant skill ranks for int boosting items, but the ranks were in a pre-determined skill chosen at the time of crafting. It's harder to port over for 3.5 though, because of the way cross class works compared to pf