PDA

View Full Version : NPC class for crafting magic items, and a magic weapon/armor question.

Albions_Angel
2017-04-28, 07:27 AM
Hi all

So, building some basic "templates" for NPCs in my standard world, so when a party walks into any town/village, and asks if they can get something made, I can not only say yes, but make the rolls there and then and tell them exactly how much it will cost and how long it will take. Id prefer to use NPC classes for this (player classes for NPCs do happen in my world, but generally for more important figures).

My issue is, I cant find an NPC arcane class that is actually good for crafting "low level" magic items. In fact, the only Arcane NPC caster I can find is the Magewrite which isnt actually capable of doing what it says it does (blacksmith that uses spells to enhance his forge, except pretty much only Mending is useful, and he doesnt seem to get anything related to crafting actual magic items at all!). The Adept doesnt get much more, but at least gets Bull Strength, Cats Grace and Bears Endurance. (Honestly, I'm considering just making all magic item crafter low level wizards and clerics at this point, which was something I was hoping to reserve for higher level gear only).

I also cant find a rule on what spells are needed for +X armor/weapon enchantment. I would assume magic weapon would be the spell for weapons, and mage armor for armor enhancement? But I cant find the reference. Anyone know where it is?

KillianHawkeye
2017-04-28, 01:00 PM
Honestly, I'm considering just making all magic item crafter low level wizards and clerics at this point, which was something I was hoping to reserve for higher level gear only.

That's probably how it was intended to be. The Dungeon Master's Guide gives rules for populating towns and villages, including how many NPCs at what levels there are for all the core PC and NPC classes. Even a small village probably has at least one 1st level Wizard running a shop or living at the edge of town.

I also cant find a rule on what spells are needed for +X armor/weapon enchantment. I would assume magic weapon would be the spell for weapons, and mage armor for armor enhancement? But I cant find the reference. Anyone know where it is?

No specific spell is required. Anyone with the Craft Magic Arms and Armor feat can make them. You just need to have the requisite Caster Level, which I believe is 3x the enhancement bonus IIRC.

Gildedragon
2017-04-28, 02:00 PM
The NPC class: Magewright is pretty good for this.

Or possibly (too) the Master class from War of the Lance, which makes up to +5 mundane enhancement to attack weapons, lower armors' ACP by 5, and make +10 circumstance bonus tools.

Also, one could imagine certain towns having Forges of Thautam, no one has the craft magic arms and armor feat, rather the feat is embedded into a heirloom forge