PDA

View Full Version : Pricing a Luck Blade

EveODestruction
2017-04-28, 09:22 AM
From D20SRD.org

Luck Blade

This +2 short sword gives its possessor a +1 luck bonus on all saving throws. Its possessor also gains the power of good fortune, usable once per day. This extraordinary ability allows its possessor to reroll one roll that she just made. She must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. Price 22,060 gp (0 wishes)

What would the price be without the saving throw bonus?

The base cost is easy to work out:

Masterwork Shortsword: 310gp
+2 Magic Weapon: 8,000gp
TOTAL: 8,310gp

Thus, the saving throw bonus and reroll ability add 13,750gp to the cost. Note that both require only that the item be in the creature’s possession; she does not have to wield the Luck Blade to gain these benefits.

The SRD indicates that a +1 luck bonus to saving throws is costed at 2,000gp, but as this benefit is gained without taking up one of the spaces on her body, this should be doubled to 4,000gp.

…which leaves the reroll ability costing 9,750gp.

However, the Mantle of Second Chances (Magic Item Compendium, p115) which costs 12,000 gp, gives the same 1/day reroll, and must be worn to be effective.

And the Fortunate weapon enhancement (Arms and Equipment Guide, p97) which grants an identical +1 luck bonus to saving throws, is treated as a +1 bonus – which would raise the cost by 10,000, not accounting for the ‘slotless’ nature of the Luck Blade’s bonus.

I expect that one of these traits is being discounted 25% as a ‘Similar Ability’ to the other, but I can’t really tell which, and I don’t see how it adds up anyway.

Am I missing something? Is the Luck Blade as published hugely underpriced? And, again, if it’s possible: What would the price of a Luck Blade be without the saving throw bonus?

Thanks in advance,

Eve.

The_Jette
2017-04-28, 09:41 AM
From D20SRD.org

Luck Blade

This +2 short sword gives its possessor a +1 luck bonus on all saving throws. Its possessor also gains the power of good fortune, usable once per day. This extraordinary ability allows its possessor to reroll one roll that she just made. She must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. Price 22,060 gp (0 wishes)

What would the price be without the saving throw bonus?

The base cost is easy to work out:

Masterwork Shortsword: 310gp
+2 Magic Weapon: 8,000gp
TOTAL: 8,310gp

Thus, the saving throw bonus and reroll ability add 13,750gp to the cost. Note that both require only that the item be in the creature’s possession; she does not have to wield the Luck Blade to gain these benefits.

The SRD indicates that a +1 luck bonus to saving throws is costed at 2,000gp, but as this benefit is gained without taking up one of the spaces on her body, this should be doubled to 4,000gp.

…which leaves the reroll ability costing 9,750gp.

However, the Mantle of Second Chances (Magic Item Compendium, p115) which costs 12,000 gp, gives the same 1/day reroll, and must be worn to be effective.

And the Fortunate weapon enhancement (Arms and Equipment Guide, p97) which grants an identical +1 luck bonus to saving throws, is treated as a +1 bonus – which would raise the cost by 10,000, not accounting for the ‘slotless’ nature of the Luck Blade’s bonus.

I expect that one of these traits is being discounted 25% as a ‘Similar Ability’ to the other, but I can’t really tell which, and I don’t see how it adds up anyway.

Am I missing something? Is the Luck Blade as published hugely underpriced? And, again, if it’s possible: What would the price of a Luck Blade be without the saving throw bonus?

Thanks in advance,

Eve.

It might be that the mantle has its price increased for taking up a different slot than usual. That would, of course, be assuming that any ability that allows a reroll shouldn't be placed in a shoulder slot. Or, the reroll ability might be reduced in cost, since a single reroll a day goes down in usefulness as levels go up. Plus, it gives the player a reason to hold onto the blade after all the wishes have been used up.

denthor
2017-04-28, 09:47 AM
What is really lucky you get two for your price since creation is half price for you