PDA

View Full Version : Something about V's mate [SPOILER]

Sengoku
2007-07-31, 10:46 AM
Spoiler Alert! Following is a theory based on "On the Origins of the PCs"

V stated that s(he) and his/her mate took a long, long time to realize the feeling they had on each other.

Origins of the PCs tells us that V started to study magic at age 19, under the great Aarindarius, and 60 years after his master got tired of his company and "Evicted" V from the tower.

Aarindarius is male (the book calls him a "master" instead of a "mistress"), and V is 103 at the starting of the comic, so I suppose this "long, long time" can only be during the 60 years V was isolated with Aarindarius, given the fact V considers days as seconds and 60 years over 103 are the longest time he can have stayed with another elf (not to mention he couldn't be married at age 19, so if we exclude the first 79 years, we remain with 24, much less than 60).

So it's reasonable to say his/her mate could be Aarindarius indeed, and since he's a male, V should be female!

My two cents (about V's gender too) :smallwink:

Yeril
2007-07-31, 11:51 AM
Or V could be male and his spouse is Aarindarius Daughter who lived in the tower but never got any screen time

Cen
2007-07-31, 12:06 PM
Or V could be gay.

Honestly, those elves are perverts!

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-31, 12:06 PM
OR!!! Vaarsuvious could be female, and married to the young man who brought magical supplies to Aarindarius' tower!

OR!!! V could be of a species who's gender changes as needed! Male when the species needs a male, and female when the species needs females!

OR!!! There may be a third gender that carries the infant to term, while both the "male" and "female" insert their DNA for propigation!

But none of the above matter, because V is the gender the reader wants it to be. For me, Vaarsuvous is a female.

Oh, one more thing: the trick to spoiler is this:

Text you want hidden.

Just spell spoiler correctly.

Rajhiim
2007-07-31, 12:12 PM
While I wonder as well... I dont think we can deduce this one.

*taken from a Wiki article on D&D elves*

Becoming physically mature by the age of 25 and emotionally mature at around 125 (Races of the Wild; Williams, Skip)

So thus V wouldnt have been physically mature at 19... and isnt quite yet emotionally mature.

This leads me to think her relationship is more likely much later than her earliest most experiences... BUT that doesnt rule out your theory. =)

Or I could just end the debate right now...

V is my wife.

:smallwink:

Dragon_Keeper
2007-07-31, 12:14 PM
Maybe V's mate is human, and Pompey is their child

I hope everyone realizes I'm joking

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-31, 02:04 PM
Maybe V's mate is human, and Pompey is their child

I hope everyone realizes I'm joking

You could be serious, I actually find that theory rather plausible.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-07-31, 02:05 PM
V stated that s(he) and his/her mate took a long, long time to realize the feeling they had on each other.

Actually, V says (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0223.html) that it took "many years," which could just be 24.

Sengoku
2007-07-31, 02:49 PM
Many years from V's perspective (sp?) must be a very large number, I think 24 is few.

By the way, thanks for the direct link ;)

Morty
2007-07-31, 03:20 PM
You could be serious, I actually find that theory rather plausible.

I always dismissed this theory as absurd, but the more I think about it, the more plausible it seems. V doesn't want to talk about hir mate- maybe it means s/he is dead and it still hurts to think about him/her? Human/elf marriages tend to end like that, after all, due to difference in "max" age. Beren and Luthien anyone? On the other hand, V hypothetically mentions his/her love being found in arms of another elf, which implies s/he is still alive.

GymGeekAus
2007-07-31, 07:34 PM
Ahh, but elves in the OotS Universe physically mature slower than typical AD&D elves.

Vaarsuvius admits to "twenty years of diapers" in Origins of PC's when talking to Haley about why there aren't more elven archmages running around. And the flashback sequence in the Iron Mage story shows Vaarsuvius at age 43, clearly still in childhood.

I think V started as an apprentice at 43, and was evicted, uh, graduated at 103, which is V's current age. Anyway, I have no idea about who V's mate is. I'm kind of satisfied by V's response. http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0224.html

"Mind your own business!"

Arnen
2007-07-31, 09:10 PM
Just because s/he may have still been a young child at age 19 doesn't mean s/he couldn't have started training in magic at that time. And s/he might be older than 103, and simply lying about his/her age.