PDA

View Full Version : Joe Prophet, At Your Service

Afgncaap5
2017-04-28, 11:15 PM
I have a friend about to run the Voyage of the Golden Dragon adventure module for Eberron, and while the class itself doesn't appeal to me in general I'm weirdly eager to make a serious run at playing a Rogue/Master Inquisitive who's a member of House Medani. While a hand crossbow is probably a better analogue for a revolver, the image of an Eternal Wand of Magic Missile feels better.

The problem, of course, is the pesky ol' UMD check. Rogues aren't any slouch when it comes to UMD use, but there's still the chance for failure here. Is there any way around that?

Or, alternatively: should I just embrace the fact that the twice-a-day gun might misfire, just as a revolver might misfire at a horribly contrived moment in the story? In some ways, a mishap with a wand almost feels like something that should be encouraged.

With a crystal ball in one hand and a magic missile wand in the other, the next episode's sure to be a good one. Join us, won't you?

Sincerely,

Joe Prophet, at your service.

ATHATH
2017-04-28, 11:48 PM
You could stick a Spellwurm and a Mnemonicus inside yourself to get the ability to use Magic Missile 9 times per day (well, technically the Mneumonicus casts six of those, but that means that you can fire off two Magic Missile spells a round (3 if the Spellwurm can cast Magic Missile the same turn that you use it to cast Magic Missile), so view it as an upside).

Matrota
2017-04-29, 12:15 AM
If you're really dedicated to it you can take the hardened criminal feat from City of Stormreach, which allows you to always take 10 on a skill of your choosing. Make sure your modifier is sufficient enough, and you will never fail a UMD with your wand.

Afgncaap5
2017-04-29, 01:57 AM
If you're really dedicated to it you can take the hardened criminal feat from City of Stormreach, which allows you to always take 10 on a skill of your choosing. Make sure your modifier is sufficient enough, and you will never fail a UMD with your wand.

Thanks! That's my most recent D&D purchase. The fact that it gives you "can't be intimidated" is a handy little side perk, one that admittedly doesn't come up often but also fits a grizzled investigator. The Criminal Background feat is a really nice one for a detective, too...

The only problem I can see with these feats is that it either requires membership in the Bilge Rats, or DM approval. I can probably work Bilge Rats membership into a backstory, though it'd admittedly muddy it up a bit. Still, I suppose Eberron's the setting for a checkered history.