PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dual Wielding Pally Powa!!!

PKnight Solaire
2017-04-28, 11:39 PM
Hey everyone,

I had this idea for a multi-class paladin fighter. Now I understand this will be kinda bad at early levels, but the main selling point is at levels 14 and up. To start, get three levels in fighter, taking two weapon fighting and champion. Then the rest into paladin, taking protection and oath of vengeance. I hear the feat dual wielder isn't that great, so just consider it. I like it for the flavor. Now the bonuses are your proficiency in con saves + aura of protection bonuses that helps on your concentration checks. This will work with the haste spell you get at 12. So at levels 14 and up, you can cast haste on yourself, (4 attacks with dual wielding), vow of enmity on your target to get adv on all your attacks. You can also action surge once per short rest to get 7 attacks in a turn. All your attacks also benefit from the improved divine smite feature and have a 10% crit chance because of the champion feature. At level 14 (with haste on yourself), you can make 7 attacks with advantage, making 3 level 3 smites, 3 level 2 smites, and 1 level 1 smite. This totals to 30d8 radiant damage, excluding the damage you do with your weapon's damage x7 and strength modifier x7 and any bonus damage you might get from critting. Also since you choose to smite after you're told you've hit, you may delay using your higher level smites until you crit. I understand this build suffers from delayed ability score improvements. However, I wanted to know if you guys thought it was worth it. I feel that paladins benefit from getting more attacks than fighters do because of the smite and improved divine smite features. That's why I thought maybe dual wielding could work on them. Tell me what you think! =D

P.S. Also, what do you think about 4 levels in fighter before you go pally? You lose a 5th level spell, but you can't smite for more than 5d8 damage anyway. That way you get your ability score improvements at a similar rate to everyone else!

ATHATH
2017-04-29, 01:12 AM
Why isn't this in the appropriate subsection (we have subsections for each edition of D&D, y'know)?

*sigh*

What edition are you playing (in)?

Knaight
2017-04-29, 10:09 AM
Why isn't this in the appropriate subsection (we have subsections for each edition of D&D, y'know)?

*sigh*

What edition are you playing (in)?

We've got reference to "champion", which gives a 10% crit chance, the use of the term "ability score improvements", and said improvements being delayed by multiclassing. This is 5e.

Given that: Any analysis which assumes you hit every attack is questionable. 5e scaled attack bonus scaling way down. On top of that, assuming the seven attacks per round count is correct you still spend two rounds casting buff spells at the beginning of a fight. If you're in a position to get buffs off then ambush, that count is reliable. Otherwise the attack count goes down substantially, to the tune of 7(t-2)/t, where t is how long the combat lasts in rounds.

PKnight Solaire
2017-04-29, 05:09 PM
We've got reference to "champion", which gives a 10% crit chance, the use of the term "ability score improvements", and said improvements being delayed by multiclassing. This is 5e.

Given that: Any analysis which assumes you hit every attack is questionable. 5e scaled attack bonus scaling way down. On top of that, assuming the seven attacks per round count is correct you still spend two rounds casting buff spells at the beginning of a fight. If you're in a position to get buffs off then ambush, that count is reliable. Otherwise the attack count goes down substantially, to the tune of 7(t-2)/t, where t is how long the combat lasts in rounds.

My apologies, You only get 7 attacks in one round (only 1 action surge), for the rest of the time you get 4 (2 base, 1 haste, 1 bonus action dual wielding). However, Vow of Enmity is a bonus action cast. Therefore you only waste one round buffing instead of two. Also you only lose 3 attacks on that turn since you still get 1 attack from haste. I also missed that you get one less 3rd level smite because haste is a 3rd level spell, sorry. I was trying to make dual wielding have a viable build. I saw some other people complaining about it, so I thought I could try to come up with something. Thanks for Responding!