PDA

View Full Version : TOKKEN'S and no I have not spelt it wrong.

Jimbob
2007-07-31, 11:19 AM
I was looking over my many DND websites and came across a review for TOKKENS. Now for people that have not heard of them they are cards with magic items on them to hand out to your pc's when they get a magic item. So if some one picks up a potion you can hand them the card and there you go. It is made of metal and has the descriptions on the back.

Now I was thinking yes they are nice to look at and I can see the novilty value, but apart from that what are they for and do you think they are really worth our valuable pennys?????

In my eyes I would rather buy a new book but was looking fo rother peoples views.

rollfrenzy
2007-07-31, 11:23 AM
For potions? meh not that useful, but it would be a good way of keeping track, especially if they are new or unique or otherwise special magic items. if they are just standard DMG magic items, not interested.

bosssmiley
2007-07-31, 11:57 AM
*Ahem (http://paizo.com/store/gameAids/gameMasteryProducts/itemPacks)*

No, I have never heard of Tokkens. Yes, I appreciate the worth of the concept. Nothing quite like a hand of playing cards to make one's more important kit more easily referable in play.

Matthew
2007-07-31, 12:03 PM
Yeah, it's a fun idea, but I wouldn't be inclined to waste my money on it. I think it's even below Floor Tiles on my list of 'things I will buy for RPGs'.

Reminds me of Heroquest and Key to the Kingdom, both of which featured Equipment Cards (though Heroquest did a much better job).

Bosaxon
2007-07-31, 12:22 PM
*Ahem (http://paizo.com/store/gameAids/gameMasteryProducts/itemPacks)*

Indeed. Paizo's item cards are excellet.

ALOR
2007-07-31, 12:35 PM
i'll add it to the list of many gaming items i will aquire for my collection when i am rich. Until then i'm going to have to pass

valadil
2007-07-31, 01:16 PM
I certainly wouldn't buy something like that, but I've considered making my own on index cards. I was thinking of doing a game that strictly enforced material components as a way to limit magic. Rather than burden the players with extraneous bookkeeping the plan was to make cards for the most common components and list the spells that required them right on the card. I'd probably have to consolidate some materials but I also wouldn't want to end up with each card having 400 spells listed on it. Oh well, that's a rant for another thread.

sikyon
2007-07-31, 01:30 PM
Yes, you did spell TOKKENs wrong because an apostrophe means that it is possessive.

Telonius
2007-07-31, 01:32 PM
Our DM got a few of them as freebies somewhere. We tried them out for a session or two, but they didn't really add much to gameplay.

kasubot
2007-07-31, 02:35 PM
I never saw them before, but there is no way i would spend money on them.

They could be good for inventory for players, make up some index cards with weapons, gear etc.

would be great for magical weapons, could have all the stats on them written in a large space and not on the tiny amount given on the standard character sheet.

Bassetking
2007-07-31, 05:06 PM
I own a set, as they were a gift at Origins. They're...Ok, but not anything I'd purchase.