PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration for a build requested (mechanics)

GrayDeath
2017-04-29, 12:49 AM
Hello fellow playgrounders!

I`d like to request some mechanical Help, if you please.
The System is 3.P, with everything not Drag Mag explicitely allowed, while Drag Mag might be allowed (fr my sake though please only stuff I can get to online. I DO have most D&D Stuff, but far FAR from all^^).

In an upcoming campaign I am going to play a concept we often do in our homebrew-system, which however I have never before even looked at in D&D/PF Terms (or to be honest a lot at ALL, usually I`m the more squishy guy^^).

A lawful Evil Bodyguard/Henchmen/Right Hand for another players weir Caster (Either focussed Wizard or other Necromancy-ish guy).

What I NEED: Being tough, Ability to take Damage for my Lord, good fighting capabilities

what I WANT: At least some supernatural/non "I hit things and stand around" stuff, really high saves to avoid being taken over (ideally Immunity to mentall attacks/Mind affecting stuff), enough skills to do my shtick really well.

What I dont want/need: Casting/Supernatural stuff above a certain level (see above), Flexibility outside the mentioned area, more Item-dependability than strictly necessary, being monstrous.

In short, I`d like you to suggest builds to start off with (ideally more detailled than "you could take CLass x/Feat Y, that`d be cool"^^)

Starting Level is 5 or 6 /still undecided), starting WBL is 1.5 times normal with a free 6000gp for a "heriditary Item" (in my case obviously something befitting the role of Bodyguard) but we are not allowed any spell storing/wands/etc stuff.
Needs to be Lawful Evil.

Oh btw, Race will in all likeliness be built with PF Race Builder and limited to "Human with up to 2 Attribute bonuses and/or some Save stuff", as we are all supposed to be the result of magical tampering with our ancestors bloodline. This does not forbid templates, bot entirely different races are out.
Yes, roles are heriditary. My Bodyguard is third Generation. :)

Thank you all in advance!

Karl Aegis
2017-04-29, 07:29 AM
So, what are you asking for? I mean, I could suggest something like Binder 3/ Soulborn 2 or Binder 1/ Soulborn 4 or something and be like Bind Dahlver-Nar and shape Crystal Helm or use a feat for Planar Ward, but that doesn't really help anyone. If your Wiz-Biz guy could be an Anima Mage and spam Shield Self on you then you would be in a better position than trying to find shield other without spellcasting. Most other options for taking damage for someone else involve standing around all day and generally not fighting.

Florian
2017-04-29, 07:56 AM
Tough. Good bodyguard builds can be done, but they´re pretty boring and focus around ready action as well as AoO. They work, but you´re often better off building a cohort around it.

That said, why not go for a "reverse Oradin"? Dhampir Anti-Paladin (Tyrant) is LE and can do the usual pally self-healing trick, Life Oracle (Inerrant Voice) offers the usual lifelink and Vigilant Protector as you 3rd level revelation. For added fun, go for the Balor´s Whip feat chain.

Palanan
2017-04-30, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Florian
Dhampir Anti-Paladin (Tyrant) is LE and can do the usual pally self-healing trick, Life Oracle (Inerrant Voice) offers the usual lifelink and Vigilant Protector as you[r] 3rd level revelation.

Can you explain this a little further? Especially the self-healing. Do you mean spending two uses of Lay on Hands for one channel of negative energy?

And what feats would go well with this build stub?

Florian
2017-04-30, 11:16 AM
Can you explain this a little further? Especially the self-healing. Do you mean spending two uses of Lay on Hands for one channel of negative energy?

And what feats would go well with this build stub?

The basics are pretty simple. The Life Oracle dip let´s you chose lifelink as revelation. Lifelink gives the target Fast Healing 5 when damaged but subtracts this from your HP when used. You can always use Lay on Hands/Touch of Corruption as a swift action on yourself, healing you up dependent on whether you´re healed or harmed by positive/negative energy.
So, your ward(s) get hurt, they start fast healing, you eat the damage and heal as a swift.
Now the Vigilant Protector revelation also lets you cast an abjuration on your ward as a immediate action when you´re aware of the danger 1/day, so perfect for a Protection from Elements or Shield Other in a pinch.
Now keep in mind that Paladin-feats work in reverse of Anti-Paladins. Extra LoH gives you more Touch of Corruption, Greater Mercy lets you deal more negative energy damage when not including a Cruelty, and so on.

The Balor Whip feat chain is not very powerful by itself, but it´s centered on the drag combat maneuver.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-30, 11:33 AM
Warforged Crusader going into Warforged Juggernaut, get Stone Power instead of Power Attack. Use your natural slam attack that gets 1.5x Str to damage with a heavy shield.

GrayDeath
2017-04-30, 12:32 PM
The basics are pretty simple. The Life Oracle dip let´s you chose lifelink as revelation. Lifelink gives the target Fast Healing 5 when damaged but subtracts this from your HP when used. You can always use Lay on Hands/Touch of Corruption as a swift action on yourself, healing you up dependent on whether you´re healed or harmed by positive/negative energy.
So, your ward(s) get hurt, they start fast healing, you eat the damage and heal as a swift.
Now the Vigilant Protector revelation also lets you cast an abjuration on your ward as a immediate action when you´re aware of the danger 1/day, so perfect for a Protection from Elements or Shield Other in a pinch.
Now keep in mind that Paladin-feats work in reverse of Anti-Paladins. Extra LoH gives you more Touch of Corruption, Greater Mercy lets you deal more negative energy damage when not including a Cruelty, and so on.

The Balor Whip feat chain is not very powerful by itself, but it´s centered on the drag combat maneuver.

THat is a very good suggestion, thank you!

One way seems open for now, still receiving alternate suggestions.

@ Biffoniacus_Furiou: How, aside from the pertinentn maneuvres, does that help me be a good Right Hand/Bodyguard?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-30, 12:42 PM
Crusader gets four base skill points/level, including Intimidate as a class skill, and the Devoted Spirit discipline gets stances and maneuvers to protect your charge. Warforged Juggernaut gets more durability and tons of immunities.

GrayDeath
2017-04-30, 01:33 PM
OK, so the obvious.

If you have not rtead it, race is fixed to "Human+". So no Juggernaughts.

A crusader with Devoted Spirit was my first obvious thought, but then again its a but tough due to the unreliable mechanism of regaining man.
Bodyguards and Right Hands need to be able to execute a Laords Orders when they arrive, not "some time within the next 5 turns". ^^

Florian
2017-04-30, 02:24 PM
THat is a very good suggestion, thank you!

Forgot to mention some details.

I suggested Dhampir as base race so you can be healed by negative energy. You could gain the same effect when choosing Lich or Vimpirism as your oracle curse (Check Horror Realms p. 14-15).

ATHATH
2017-04-30, 02:34 PM
Be something with the Unseelie Fey template. Be Paladin of Tyrrany 6 (you might want to trade out your Mount for a Divine Spirit and one of your 1st level spell slots for the ability to Extend one of your spells for free once per day). "Fall" by committing some selfless act (anonymously donate a bit of money to a temple of Ilmater or something). Take a level in Blackguard. Receive an Atonement spell (note that we're doing this because those nifty "Ex-Paladin" bonuses won't go away after you return to Paladin-hood; if your DM rules that this is not the case, don't go through the trouble of falling). Continue advancing in Blackguard for a bit. Maybe go into Hexblade later (don't forget to take the Dark Companion ACF!). If you don't want to deal with your Stupid Evil code, you can take the Heretic of the Faith feat to gain the ability to ignore it (you'll still have to remain LE, though).

Enjoy passively giving your enemies a -(4+your CHA modifier) to saves (with no save against the effect) while receiving a passive +(2*your CHA modifier) to your own saves. Your Wizard friend will love you.

Pseudo-edit: Whoops, I kind of created a wall of text there. Sorry.

GrayDeath
2017-05-01, 09:22 AM
Hmmm, overlooked the Dhampir Part, I can probably get away with it though, as servant to a Necromantic Family of mages.

As for the PoT: I haven`t played one in ages (and back then only once): Doesn`t he kind of have to LEAD instead of follow? That would be a NoGo then, I am bound to the "Right hand Man" Role....

Aside from that it sounds almost exactly like the powers I need, thank you! (even if my GM will very likely say no to the fall/atonement stuff, heretic of the Faith might be doable).

ATHATH
2017-05-01, 10:44 AM
As for the PoT: I haven`t played one in ages (and back then only once): Doesn`t he kind of have to LEAD instead of follow? That would be a NoGo then, I am bound to the "Right hand Man" Role....
Nope! That's the Despot, the other LE Paladin-like class, IIRC. They get the Leadership feat as a bonus feat and get Smite Chaos instead of Smite Good, but alas, they're not actually considered to be a Paladin variant (they're technically a Holy Warrior variant). Also, they don't get that nice save-debuffing aura.

I'm glad to be of assistance.

Paddywagon Man
2017-05-01, 10:58 AM
I know Libris Mortis had a lot of Prestige Classes based around guarding a powerful undead creature. I don't know if any of them are particularly good, but they're there, and flavour-wise they're pretty perfect for what you want to do.