PDA

View Full Version : Parasol in a slot

SangoProduction
2017-04-29, 02:32 AM
So, my character is fatigued in sunlight. My DM allows the Parasol or Desert Suit to protect against sunlight. I might be wrong, but I think Parasols might need to be carried rather than equipped. I want them equipped.

Is it reasonable to have it take up a head or shoulder slot instead?

Karl Aegis
2017-04-29, 06:29 AM
You have some sort of tent built around you or something? That seems silly. It's obviously a shield.

lbuttitta
2017-04-29, 06:41 AM
A frame that goes around your neck to support the parasol for you?

Alternatively, pay 2000/1000 gp to buy/craft a Forcebrella! Negates magic missiles and grants a +4 shield bonus to AC, and comes in nifty, translucent designer colors!

Gildedragon
2017-04-29, 09:12 AM
A portable shade. It is a floating disk that keeps you nice and shady. It's in sandstorm iirc
It needs no slot nor any effort. It just follows you around

Also sundark goggles (RotD) to protect your eyes

souridealist
2017-04-30, 04:02 PM
Having it in a head or shoulder slot seems... possibly comedic. You just have it strapped to your neck? That sounds uncomfortable, and also rather silly-looking.

Can I ask why you're not just wearing a desert suit, if that serves the purpose?

Naez
2017-04-30, 06:12 PM
Battle standards from the Magic Item Compendium can be 'held aloft' in a shoulder slot harness. I'm sure something similar for a parasol could be arranged.

Hiro Quester
2017-04-30, 09:21 PM
The portable shade is in Sandstorm. 2000 gp. It is literally a slotless floating parasol.

Sagetim
2017-05-01, 01:51 AM
IT looks like everyone else has the final answer here, but just to be silly I think you should look up the combat stats for a parasol. I think they are in Oriental Adventures, or one of the Rokugan books if not there. Proceed to beat people in style as you use your combat parasol with it's various modifiers to great effect. Not the least of which would be putting Dancing on it later so that it can circle you in combat and keep you ever in the shade.

Or break convention, and go monk. Then you can carry a combat parasol in one hand, and not use it as a weapon, and use your free hand and feet to engage in unarmed combat. For extra silliness, carry two combat parasols but don't use either of them as the weapons they are, instead insist on kicking all enemies to death.

Fizban
2017-05-01, 02:14 AM
It's a parasol. A non-magical piece of wood and cloth. It has nothing to do with magic item slots. If you want to strap it to a frame pack go right ahead.

Gildedragon
2017-05-01, 05:49 AM
You could also bind a Shadow Sibling symbiont, they explicitly keep one shaded

SangoProduction
2017-05-01, 07:27 AM
You could also bind a Shadow Sibling symbiont, they explicitly keep one shaded

roflmao. I guess that could be compared to using the nuclear option against a mosquito. I like it.

Gildedragon
2017-05-01, 07:29 AM
roflmao. I guess that could be compared to using the nuclear option against a mosquito. I like it.

I hate mosquitos; I approve of your comparison

Telonius
2017-05-02, 11:35 PM
If a player wanted to have his character wearing a sombrero, that probably wouldn't break the game.

Jarmen4u
2017-05-03, 12:16 AM
Is it reasonable to have it take up a head or shoulder slot instead?

Unless this is a +1 Holy Flaming Parasol, why would it possibly take up an item slot? slots are for magical items, not normal mundane equipment. Otherwise, no rogue could wear a Cloak of Resistance with their sneaky cape.

weckar
2017-05-03, 07:22 AM
it'd still look ridiculous. Just get a Cloak of resistance that looks sneaky itself.