PDA

View Full Version : The Bullet Catch

Dappershire
2017-04-29, 05:25 AM
Just reading through Monk on SRD, and saw the Deflect Missiles. I like what it does with the reduced damage aspect. But once that damage hits zero, he gets to catch and throw the bullet/arrow/javelin/battleax? Does the damage reflect his martial arts die?
If it does go by the 1d4(+), its basically a ranged unarmed strike, but only when he's shot in the face?
I mean, I'm ok with just that, but is that hinting at the possibility that spending a ki point can get you ranged attacks with any ol' pebble, with proficiency?
And if your enemy is out of range, is it a valid (though perhaps not optimized) tactic to just send your monk running ahead, shoot him with a crappy bolt, and let him carry the attack further out with his ranged reaction throw?

Seruvius
2017-04-29, 05:41 AM
The Monks deflect missile ability allows him to use either the damage die of the original weapon or count it as a monk weapon and hence use the unarmed strike damage, whichever he prefers ( sage advice (http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/12/08/whats-the-damage-of-the-deflect-missile-attack/) ), and the ranged of a deflected missile is 20/60 (PHB errata 2016, so if you have an older copy it wont show this).
While it is not clearly stated in the rules, it does make sense that you could spend a ki point to be able to chuck something like the deflect missile abiloity, or indeed you could extend the range of a shot by shooting the monk and having them deflect it. Considering however the short range, the fact it costs ki, and that your monk has to deflect the attack first in order not to just get shot by an ally, it is quite unoptiised. If it is a weak shot, the monk might deflect it and hit the target, but why spend the ki and reaction for a weak projectile, unless it is coated in some very specific poison of some sort. If it is a strong shot, chances are all you are doing is shooting your ally.

Lolzyking
2017-04-29, 05:53 AM
There is also the ultimate shenanigan.

Be monk Rogue, have ally fighter hit enemy with a arrow, then aim at you, you catch and throw it at the already hit enemy, proccing a nice free reaction sneak attack for 1 ki.

Dappershire
2017-04-29, 06:55 AM
While it is not clearly stated in the rules, it does make sense that you could spend a ki point to be able to chuck something like the deflect missile abiloity, or indeed you could extend the range of a shot by shooting the monk and having them deflect it. Considering however the short range, the fact it costs ki, and that your monk has to deflect the attack first in order not to just get shot by an ally, it is quite unoptiised. If it is a weak shot, the monk might deflect it and hit the target, but why spend the ki and reaction for a weak projectile, unless it is coated in some very specific poison of some sort. If it is a strong shot, chances are all you are doing is shooting your ally.

So DM has absolute grounds to nix any pebble tossing ranged monk idea, but at least the spirit of the rules suggests the possibility. Even if its not likely to be the best use of your Ki.
Buuut...if it uses the weapon's damage die, what about my prementioned thrown battleax. I'd get the full damage die, and have temporary proficiency in throwing it? Nice.

Be monk Rogue, have ally fighter hit enemy with a arrow, then aim at you, you catch and throw it at the already hit enemy, proccing a nice free reaction sneak attack for 1 ki.

Heh, I like that as much as I hate it. If you took a spot lower in the initiative, would you get sneak attack again on your turn's first blow, once you ran the twenty+ feet up o the guy? Because he hasn't reacted yet? Or would your reaction attack basically alert him to your presence?

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-04-29, 07:18 AM

Clever, but I can't help thinking it's not worth it. You have to waste one of the fighter's attacks, and there's the fairly significant chance of you getting hit (since the fighter has to make a proper attack against you).

Dappershire
2017-04-29, 07:48 AM
Clever, but I can't help thinking it's not worth it. You have to waste one of the fighter's attacks, and there's the fairly significant chance of you getting hit (since the fighter has to make a proper attack against you).

It's only wasting your monk's out of turn reaction. Its basically turning an unoptimized (so that you don't slay your own monk) normal attack, into a sneak attack.
I suppose it is far to yuuuuge a stretch to assume a Hunter's Mark would still be in effect for the arrow in question, as it stops becoming your attack, and starts becoming the Monks.

But cheesewise, I think we could describe handing(shooting) a fellow party member a weapon counts as " in some other way team up to make your ally’s attack more effective", thus effectively becoming a Help Action. Giving the Monk/Rogue Advantage to his proficient ranged attack reaction.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-04-29, 08:10 AM
It's only wasting your monk's out of turn reaction. Its basically turning an unoptimized (so that you don't slay your own monk) normal attack, into a sneak attack.
I suppose it is far to yuuuuge a stretch to assume a Hunter's Mark would still be in effect for the arrow in question, as it stops becoming your attack, and starts becoming the Monks.

It also wastes the fighters attack, though. And there's at least three possible points of failure (you need the fighter to actually hit the monk, but not do enough damage to get through deflect missiles, then you need the monk to actually make the attack). Just seems like there's too many moving parts.

Still, it is worth pointing out that the same idea works fine for deflecting enemy attacks and getting sneak attack on them. I never thought of that possibility, so thanks for that - just another reason why Rogue-Monk is such a great multiclass.